PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT AT THE END OF THE SEASON

plymouthram

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we keep Wisdom and Waghorn, it would be with a view to them being backups and then leaving for nothing at the end of their extended deals.

That's a hell of an assumption - Wisdom has been decent this season and of the CBs we have on the books there's been very little between him and any of the lads we have on loan

In a world where we've been taken over and have some money to spend then great - We can go out and buy 2 new top quality CBs - But we aren't in that world

On top of that the defence hasn't been our problem this season - There are plenty of teams above us (way above in some cases) who have conceded the same number of goals as us - We just haven't scored enough

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

At CB, I'd be looking at the likes of Long (Burnley), McIntyre (Reading), Pearson (Luton), Tom Lees (Sheff W), Burke (Hull)
At RB, Kieron Freeman (Swansea), Nyambe (Blackburn)
At CF, Dursun (Darmstadt)

What makes you think any of them would want to come to us at the moment?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we keep Wisdom and Waghorn, it would be with a view to them being backups and then leaving for nothing at the end of their extended deals. Let's assume £10k pw each which would be at the higher end of our pay scale for backups nowadays. c£500k each to keep them on for another year. Just to restate a key point, no resale value on with of those players.

A better strategy would be to find a younger player for £500k on £6-8k. The types of players who come in as backups initially with a view to them pushing on as starters. It'll cost a bit more in the first year, but the players will have resale value meaning we'd be better off in the long run. If it doesn't work out, then we'd recoup what we paid out.

I'm thinking of the likes of Evans and Holmes here... both sold for fees similar to what we bought them for. Both signed as backups with a chance of them becoming first choice. Holmes almost succeeded with that before falling away. Even better, we should be looking for freebies instead to perform the same role.

We'll be in the summer window where a number of players will be out of contract. It's a different type of market to the winter window.

At CB, I'd be looking at the likes of Long (Burnley), McIntyre (Reading), Pearson (Luton), Tom Lees (Sheff W), Burke (Hull)
At RB, Kieron Freeman (Swansea), Nyambe (Blackburn)
At CF, Dursun (Darmstadt)

I imagine all of those listed would be better value than Wisdom and Waghorn.

I hope not - not much progress in amongst them 

54 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

That's a hell of an assumption - Wisdom has been decent this season and of the CBs we have on the books there's been very little between him and any of the lads we have on loan

Wisdom doesn't know how to head a ball. With us set to lose Clarke as well, we can't afford to have a regular starter as weak in the air as Wisdom.

In a world where we've been taken over and have some money to spend then great - We can go out and buy 2 new top quality CBs - But we aren't in that world

Given P&S, I can't see us spending much this summer even with a takeover. £25m P&S loss in 18/19, an amortisation jump of £20m in 19/20 won't give us much play room for the 2022 period.

On top of that the defence hasn't been our problem this season - There are plenty of teams above us (way above in some cases) who have conceded the same number of goals as us - We just haven't scored enough

True, but we are currently set to have zero CBs on the books in the summer, so it's clear we will be signing at least 2 CBs even if we do keep Wisdom.

What makes you think any of them would want to come to us at the moment?

Well, all of those CBs would be guaranteed starters. Not many clubs in this division could promise them that. We'll be able to offer higher wages to McIntyre, Pearson and Burke than what they're on now.
Dursun wanted to join last summer and probably would have joined in January if we we had cash to spend. Wouldn't be surprised if we're still after him and as long as we remain in the Championship, I'd expect him to still be interested.

Freeman has been content to be a backup player for the previous few seasons so I imagine he'd be content with that continuing with us. Nyambe's probably unlikely.

9 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Do we have any updates on Wisdom or Waghorn?

With the dire state we're in it would be daft to let two senior players go for nothing in the summer - Replacing Wisdom would set us back a few million in this climate and replacing Waggers would run us at least a couple - Surely a 2-3 year contract for each of them would cost us less than a replacement player?

Also - Do we even know whether we're gonna be able to sign players in the summer? Having just seen a window come and go where we've only been able to land loan players (half of whom aren't getting started) I'm looking at the summer with trepidation 

To paraphrase Robert Hayes give Waghorn and Wisdom  2-3 year contracts? Surely you can't be serious. 

Not sure how much of an impact it will have but waghorns son has signed a contract for our u9s so could potentially play a part on his decision to stay here or not. Guess it depends if he lives nearby and if he is willing to travel to a new club. Also got a new born too so could be settled in a local area.

3 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

has signed a contract for our u9s

Two bags of Haribo’s and a Freddo bar for someone who may not even play. Ridiculous decision, whoever did that deal should walk. Games gone 

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

True, but we are currently set to have zero CBs on the books in the summer, so it's clear we will be signing at least 2 CBs even if we

Oh we're 100% going to need at least 2 CBs - I'd usually suggest 2 senior squad members for each position will give you a bit of cover - So for me even if we keep Wisdom we'd need 3 more

I think it's easier to bring in 3 CBs than 4 - Especially when a bit of consistency in the team can provide a solid foundation across seasons

21 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well, all of those CBs would be guaranteed starters. Not many clubs in this division could promise them that. We'll be able to offer higher wages to McIntyre, Pearson and Burke than what they're on now.
Dursun wanted to join last summer and probably would have joined in January if we we had cash to spend. Wouldn't be surprised if we're still after him and as long as we remain in the Championship, I'd expect him to still be interested.

Freeman has been content to be a backup player for the previous few seasons so I imagine he'd be content with that continuing with us. Nyambe's probably unlikely.

I don't know any of those players well enough to comment on them - But with our finances at the moment plus our likely finishing position I'm not sure we're an attractive proposition to many

I don't know how much of the Dursun link was Cocu and how much was Derby - Certainly hadn't explored the market outside the UK much before he arrived - But we'll see

I also think we're short of wingers - Lawrence and Jozwiak - Ibe hasn't been able to get himself right this season so we can't rely on that and (for me) Sibley is a CM

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

To paraphrase Robert Hayes give Waghorn and Wisdom  2-3 year contracts? Surely you can't be serious. 

I absolutely am serious

I don't think buying a whole new team is ever a good idea - And keeping players around who have been good for us in the time they've played seems sensible - Especially for a position we're desperately short in

15 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I don't think buying a whole new team is ever a good idea - And keeping players around who have been good for us in the time they've played seems sensible - Especially for a position we're desperately short in

We basically bought a whole new team when lampard was here. I believe he made 9 signings in the summer window. That's the sort of thing we're going to need again this summer if we're going to start being competitive again. That on top of giving new contracts to wisdom and waghorn, bringing mengi back on loan etc.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

We basically bought a whole new team when lampard was here. I believe he made 9 signings in the summer window. That's the sort of thing we're going to need again this summer if we're going to start being competitive again. That on top of giving new contracts to wisdom and waghorn, bringing mengi back on loan etc.

At the moment I'd say we need a backup RB, 3x CBs, a backup DM, probably a more creative CM, at least one winger/AM and another striker - That's 8 already

That's assuming we don't sign any of the loan players we have at the moment - None of whom seem to be showing much sign of single-handedly improving our fortunes (see Bielik for reference ?)

If we let Wisdom and Waghorn go that rises to 10

Maybe I'm being ridiculous and just don't see it - But I'd rather we focused our money on bringing a bit more genuine quality in - Rather than using it to replace players who have shown to be a decent quality at this level

Archived