PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT AT THE END OF THE SEASON

plymouthram

Recently in an interview Wayne mentioned that they would be looking at contracts near the end of the season. The players who are out of contract this summer are Colin Kazim-Richards, Curtis Davies, Martyn Waghorn, Andre Wisdom, Scott Carson, Florian Jozefzoon and Scott Malone.  I apologise if I've missed any players out.

My question is, who would you give a new contract to.

I would give Colin Kazim-Richards another year and would look to keep Andre Wisdom for at least 2 years. The rest I would let go.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep Davies if he can get fit & doesnt want to see out his career playing first team football somewhere. He's getting on but he seems like a good character to have around & a solid option off the bench to come on & head it & kick it for the last ten mins of a game if we need to hang on. I suspect he'll go through. 

Offer Waghorn a new deal. He wasn't a snip at £5m. I also hope we can improve on him in the summer. But at the very least we should look to extend his contract even if its to move him on for a small fee

Keep CKR why wouldn't you want to keep someone that is potentially going to be player of the season 

Keep wisdom. Good option at this level 

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Recently in an interview Wayne mentioned that they would be looking at contracts near the end of the season. The players who are out of contract this summer are Colin Kazim-Richards, Curtis Davies, Martyn Waghorn, Andre Wisdom, Scott Carson, Florian Jozefzoon and Scott Malone.  I apologise if I've missed any players out.

My question is, who would you give a new contract to.

I would give Colin Kazim-Richards another year and would look to keep Andre Wisdom for at least 2 years. The rest I would let go.

Kaz and wizzy for sure.

Waghorn will get one for the financial aspect.

As for the rest we’re going to end up taking a hit on them, apart from Carson.

I really like Curtis but I’m afraid his playing time here will be up. Unless he goes into coaching and we give him a role he’ll be released.

4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Keep Davies if he can get fit & doesnt want to see out his career playing first team football somewhere. He's getting on but he seems like a good character to have around & a solid option off the bench to come on & head it & kick it for the last ten mins of a game if we need to hang on. I suspect he'll go through. 

Offer Waghorn a new deal. He wasn't a snip at £5m. I also hope we can improve on him in the summer. But at the very least we should look to extend his contract even if its to move him on for a small fee

Keep CKR why wouldn't you want to keep someone that is potentially going to be player of the season 

Keep wisdom. Good option at this level 

Yes never thought of trying to recoup some money back on Waggy. Might be hard though to just get him to sign a year extension if his agent tries to get him a better deal elsewhere.

Ravas, Mitchell, Trialist, JML, and a number of the other older U23s too. I don't think we'll be keeping many of those over the age of 20 to be honest.

Kazim's the only player I think we must keep. Extending the deals for Wisdom and Waggy would give us more P&S wiggle room. Both would only be squad players going forward so as long as they're happy with wages to match, then I'd keep both on.

Malone would be fine in a back 5, but would want wages in excess of that worthy to be Buchanan's backup.

Carson, Jozefzoon and Malone are finished here already, their departures are just a formality now. Of the rest, I’d keep Kazim-Richards for another year as an off the bench striker. Similar for Davies, I’d give him another year too as centre back cover. Both should be relatively inexpensive, though we will have to consider if either want to retire this summer.

Waghorn I’d probably let go - he’s ok, but we need better than average players like him, and he wouldn’t justify the wages we’d need to spend. Wisdom would probably be the only one I’d allocate significant funds to. He offers a lot in terms of being a utility man in defence - able to provide both CB cover, and competition for places at RB too. Very useful to have, and he’s still fairly young, so I’d be willing to go with something more long term here - maybe around a 3 year deal.

If money was no object it would be a different conversation sadly. 

Colin Kazim-Richards- Keep if you can, even if money was no oject he has been a real plus on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Curtis Davies- Sign as a coach, playing wise he might be able to give you a bit of cover so a playing contract much reduced.

Martyn Waghorn- If money is no object then you let him go and look elsewhere for a better player. For the money he is on and for what he gives us as a club he doesn't deserve another contract. Sadly, we might have to offer him a year to help with P&S. 

Andre Wisdom- Offer contract but at reduced terms. He's an OK player and ideally a back up CB. He's one of those you look at as a squad player if you are looking to get promoted. If you had money and better targets you go for them instead. Money wise, as it stands we probably resign him for P&S. 

Scott Carson - Let go.

Florian Jozefzoon - let go.

Scott Malone - Will sign for Millwall.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Ravas, Mitchell, Trialist, JML, and a number of the other older U23s too. I don't think we'll be keeping many of those over the age of 20 to be honest.

Kazim's the only player I think we must keep. Extending the deals for Wisdom and Waggy would give us more P&S wiggle room. Both would only be squad players going forward so as long as they're happy with wages to match, then I'd keep both on.

Malone would be fine in a back 5, but would want wages in excess of that worthy to be Buchanan's backup.

May be wrong here but I thought we had reverted to straight line amortization on player contracts?

14 minutes ago, England Ram said:

If money was no object it would be a different conversation sadly. 

Colin Kazim-Richards- Keep if you can, even if money was no oject he has been a real plus on the pitch and in the dressing room.

Curtis Davies- Sign as a coach, playing wise he might be able to give you a bit of cover so a playing contract much reduced.

Martyn Waghorn- If money is no object then you let him go and look elsewhere for a better player. For the money he is on and for what he gives us as a club he doesn't deserve another contract. Sadly, we might have to offer him a year to help with P&S. 

Andre Wisdom- Offer contract but at reduced terms. He's an OK player and ideally a back up CB. He's one of those you look at as a squad player if you are looking to get promoted. If you had money and better targets you go for them instead. Money wise, as it stands we probably resign him for P&S. 

Scott Carson - Let go.

Florian Jozefzoon - let go.

Scott Malone - Will sign for Millwall.

What money are Waghorn and Wisdom on?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

May be wrong here but I thought we had reverted to straight line amortization on player contracts?

I remember an ambiguous comment somewhere - was it the 'Decision Document'?
In the end I sided with no change to our policy (it wouldn't have helped our case if we changed prior to the hearing)

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I remember an ambiguous comment somewhere - was it the 'Decision Document'?
In the end I sided with no change to our policy (it wouldn't have helped our case if we changed prior to the hearing)

I have no recollection of where I read it or who said it to be honest.

Pretty sure it was said in the aftermath of the IDC findings.

Get Davies on a player coach deal if he'll take it. Good character to have around. 

Give CKR another year. 

Offer Wisdom a two year deal that makes sense financially, see if he takes it. 

Carson will end up at City. 

Malone will end up at Milwall. 

Jozefzoon released. 

As for Waghorn, we could do with him as a squad option but if he is expecting to stay and start every week on big money then I suspect he'll be off. 

Davies has been very clear that he wants a job in media after his playing career. Therefore, it's up to him to decide does he quit or carry on playing. If latter, he surely wouldn't want to sit on the bench? So, I think he'll leave us, whatever he chooses.

I’m half expecting loans to be extended with Mengi and Edmundson playing in central defence next season. And Gregory arriving on a free.

If so, that could mean a clean sweep of departures. 

(Except Colin of course)

I still think a lot will depend on the ownership situation. If the club has new owners, and they are ambitious, ALL of the players coming to the end of their contracts can be improved on - even the Mighty Colin.

CKR has also proved he is a football nomad and he may well want another adventure, Has he played in China yet?

Archived