Wycombe v Derby, Tuesday 16th February

Kinder

After that massive win against Boro, we’ve got another huge game away at Wycombe on Tuesday night.  Being honest, it’s a game that on paper we should be winning comfortably but we’ve really struggled against teams around us in the table. We need to get over that and it’s a great opportunity for back to back wins.

It will be very interesting to see what formation we play.  Wayne has shown he’s not afraid to mix it up and sets his team out with the opposition in mind.  Wycombe will be very direct, so we could switch to a back 3 and have the front players and wing backs pressing high, to stop their long balls forward. 

Saying that, Kaz and Gregory looked to have developed a good understanding already so it would be a shame to not start them together.  They’re both in their 30s though and we’re into a run of Tuesday / Friday games, so Wayne might want to freshen things up.  Joz has been getting some stick, so we might see Roberts start in place of him or Waggy.

Wycombe look pretty doomed, they’re 10 points adrift with 18 games to play.  They showed huge character to fight back from 2-0 down against Huddersfield and win 3-2 though. They need to put a run together and will definitely feel they can get a result against us, especially with our poor form against struggling teams.

Their result against Huddersfield dragged them into the relegation scrap as well.  The table is so tight though, we’re only 9 points off Cardiff in 7th.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A must win game this one. Wycombe are very physical and direct side, so we may see the return of 3 at the back... however 4-4-2 worked well against 'Boro and I liked the look of CKR and Gregory up front. I'd go with this:

Marshall
Mengi, Wisdom, Clarke
Byrne, Knight, Shinnie, Buchanan
Sibley
Kazim, Gregory

... however we all know he'll start Waghorn and not Sibbo!

44 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

A must win game this one. Wycombe are very physical and direct side, so we may see the return of 3 at the back... however 4-4-2 worked well against 'Boro and I liked the look of CKR and Gregory up front. I'd go with this:

Marshall
Mengi, Wisdom, Clarke
Sibley
Kazim, Gregory

It’s not a must win game with still 18 games remaining. A defeat, with other results going against us, would drop us back in the poo but we’re not in must win territory just yet.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s not a must win game with still 18 games remaining. A defeat, with other results going against us, would drop us back in the poo but we’re not in must win territory just yet

I think he means it's a game we should be winning and given the fact we haven't been able to beat teams down the bottom all season, we need to show we can do that and actually get out of the relegation battle

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think he means it's a game we should be winning and given the fact we haven't been able to beat teams down the bottom all season, we need to show we can do that and actually get out of the relegation battle

That's the conundrum though, if we aren't beating the teams around us then surely by definiton we are in that position on merit?

Only minor changes needed for this one, as I believe it will prove a similar test to the Middlesbrough game:

Roos

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Roberts Knight Shinnie Waghorn

Kazim-Richards Gregory

I’ll keep banging the Roos drum when no one else will haha, think he was unfairly dropped when Marshall returned and David has yet to convince me he’s any better at commanding his area etc. Other than that, just Roberts in for Jozwiak. Kamil was very wasteful in the final third yesterday, and not for the first time since his arrival. Works hard, but we need goal threat. Roberts arrives with a strong reputation, so he probably deserves his chance.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Only minor changes needed for this one, as I believe it will prove a similar test to the Middlesbrough game:

Roos

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan

Roberts Knight Shinnie Waghorn

Kazim-Richards Gregory

I’ll keep banging the Roos drum when no one else will haha, think he was unfairly dropped when Marshall returned and David has yet to convince me he’s any better at commanding his area etc. Other than that, just Roberts in for Jozwiak. Kamil was very wasteful in the final third yesterday, and not for the first time since his arrival. Works hard, but we need goal threat. Roberts arrives with a strong reputation, so he probably deserves his chance.

Roos? Quelle surprise ? Roberts has done well in the pub league, as yet nowhere else so matter of ? 

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Mengi Clarke Buchanan

Knight Shinnie Waghorn

Kazim-Richards Gregory

Just about favour Waghorn over Jozwiak to start, purely as a more physical presence and a slightly more likely scorer.

Wycombe have some big lads so I’ve drafted in Mengi. 

Need the centre backs to take it in turns to venture forward with the ball.

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Roos? Quelle surprise ? Roberts has done well in the pub league, as yet nowhere else so matter of ? 

What can I say, I’m backing the underdog. Surprised you aren’t with me to be fair, what with Marshall being Scottish and all!

Roberts was bought by Man City. That’s enough to tell me he’s got something about him.

20 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What can I say, I’m backing the underdog. Surprised you aren’t with me to be fair, what with Marshall being Scottish and all!

Roberts was bought by Man City. That’s enough to tell me he’s got something about him.

Like young Scott Carson??

2 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Marshall
Mengi, Wisdom, Clarke
Sibley
Kazim, Gregory

We do indeed

Hopefully beat Wycombe and Uddersfield. Try for a draw against Watford. Relegation threatened teams generally have more difficult games in paper in the next three so a great chance to pull away in theory. I think that we will pull away in next three games. Holmes and Keogh will be keen to make a point.

If we're going to go with 4-4-2 (although I think it was more 4-4-1-1 with Kaz dropping deeper ?) I'd stick with pretty much the same line-up, but drop Waghorn for Roberts and play Jozwiak on the right (where he links up well with Byrne and Roberts on the left). This should give us a lot of natural width and the ability to overload the wings and send crosses into the Wycombe box.

Archived