The Mel Morris Interview

therealhantsram

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

When MM took over we were losing circa £9m a year from memory (how much of this was cash losses I can't recall without looking back through the accounts).

Included in his £200m will be the purchase price which I believe was £50m.

Is the £80m for the ground in the £200m? I doubt it as I think he will retain that asset.

Then there is the investment in the ground and the training ground.

Long story short, £200m doesnt go very far when trying to take a Championship club to the next level and preparing it ready for that step.

You may call him stupid for it but Im sure he still has enough money left in his bank to live the sort of life most people dream of. Me personally, I'm grateful that we had a local businessman that was willing to risk them sort of funds to try and make us a force in the Premier League and think it is a shame he didn't surround himself with the right sort of people to make it happen.

Slow down. I didn’t call him stupid. I said he has acted stupidly when it comes to owning Derby, albeit with best intentions. You don’t generate total wealth of £500m if you are stupid.

I think he will retain the £80m stadium too. Our ground. It was our asset. So he has lost £280m in cash over 6 years, but now owns a stadium. Some cash burn that.

For the record I am happy he gave it a go, and am not ungrateful. But his legacy will be that he left us in a worse state on and off the pitch than when he bought us.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Slow down. I didn’t call him stupid. I said he has acted stupidly when it comes to owning Derby, albeit with best intentions. You don’t generate total wealth of £500m if you are stupid.

I think he will retain the £80m stadium too. Our ground. It was our asset. So he has lost £280m in cash over 6 years, but now owns a stadium. Some cash burn that.

For the record I am happy he gave it a go, and am not ungrateful. But his legacy will be that he left us in a worse state on and off the pitch than when he bought us.

Reggie Perrin. Max Bialystock.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Why worse state ! 

What were DCFC assets when Mel took over ! 

Did any other owners have to deal with Covid and long standing FFP and Parachute payments for other teams lucky enough to go up !

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Why worse state ! 

What were DCFC assets when Mel took over ! 

Did any other owners have to deal with Covid and long standing FFP and Parachute payments for other teams lucky enough to go up !

I will wait a few minutes before I reply. Still a bit more time my friend for you to edit and come up with your own answers to the first two exclamations.

12 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I will wait a few minutes before I reply. Still a bit more time my friend for you to edit and come up with your own answers to the first two exclamations.

No need I need you to tell me please. 

Ok then 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2016/03/record-turnover-is-the-highlight-of-Derby-countys-201415-financial-results

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/04/Derby-countys-201516-financial-results-announced

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2018/03/Derby-county-announces-financial-results-for-201617-season

22 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I just assumed that to show an act of stupidity you have to stupid.

Maybe I bear testament that this is not true ?

IF we retain the stadium, it is hard to argue that he has left us in a worse state off the pitch.

26 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think it’s harsh to say he’s left us in a worse state.

I’m fairly certain that in terms of moor farm, the academy and our facilities we are in a much better position. The stadium has also had a lot of money spent on it with concourse heating, all the extra screens and advertising space. Yes the club no longer own the stadium but they had the money from the sale and it’s not like it’s owned by somebody who is going to shaft us. 

Transfers we spent badly but didn’t do too bad on sales. You could argue Hughes was too cheap but we cashed in on Vydra, Ince and Hendrick for example.

I’d say we’re probably better known globally as a result of Mel. Lampard and Rooney have been very clever moves financially no matter how you look at it with the sponsorship (and pay off Chelsea gave us for Lampard).

If we beat QPR or Villa at Wembley then everyone would be saying he left us in a better position no doubt about it. 

I'm not Mel's biggest fan from a footballing point of view. Taking this out of the picture, what has happened to Mel personally is horrible. I think we've known things have been going on in the background privately. Considering he's trying to sell a club who in my view have screwed him over and wasted so much of his time, and deal with his personal problems, everyone needs to give Mel a break.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

When MM took over we were losing circa £9m a year from memory (how much of this was cash losses I can't recall without looking back through the accounts).

Included in his £200m will be the purchase price which I believe was £50m.

Is the £80m for the ground in the £200m? I doubt it as I think he will retain that asset.

Then there is the investment in the ground and the training ground.

Long story short, £200m doesnt go very far when trying to take a Championship club to the next level and preparing it ready for that step.

You may call him stupid for it but Im sure he still has enough money left in his bank to live the sort of life most people dream of. Me personally, I'm grateful that we had a local businessman that was willing to risk them sort of funds to try and make us a force in the Premier League and think it is a shame he didn't surround himself with the right sort of people to make it happen.

I’m fairly sure the £200m number will include the stadium. You’re not going to do an interview like this and undercook the numbers.

But fair play, he’s made that investment to get money into the club legally full well knowing he won’t ever get it back.

Few things have come out for me here. 

1) He doesn’t want an immediate fee. The investment goes 100% into the club. That’s huge. He’s asking a buyer to give a 2-year guarantee.

2) He will keep supporting the club as long as he needs to. This is huge.

My only wish would be to terminate the contract with the Sheikh for default of contract and make it clear we are up for sale and start a fresh search.

Been a rocky few months Mel but thank you for a clear statement.

For all his decisions , right or wrong we were ALL there with asking/nay pleading with as all fans for him to invest and just edge us over that line into the riches and glory of the promised land of the premiership. 

Twice we were very close  but it was not be but NOT one of us would say we didn't enjoy the ride. 

To be a football fan, is be able to dream of what might be and Mel nearly made those dreams comes true (twice). 

Everyone has failings and makes mistakes but no one can dispute that Mel did not give it a go.

I am sincerely sorry to hear about his health problems and hope he gets better.

As to the future only time will tell.

As one chapter closes another will 'eventually' dawn on the glorious  history of OUR fantastic football club.

Owners and chairman will come and go but us fans will remain and carry on for generation after generation. 

Up the Rams

Archived