The Mel Morris Interview

therealhantsram

Love ya Mel. Good health to you, your family and friends.

So glad I spoke with you after the FC Utrecht friendly game and showed you the Aberdeenshire Rams Flag, your love for the club then, as it is now and always will, shines brightly on. My only regret that day was not to take a photo with you, and the Aberdeenshire Rams with the flag. I'll try again when we are all back at Pride Park.

Your respect with the other football club colleagues at the FC Utrecht game, and with fans, and with all other football colleagues, and with people in and out of football since speaks volumes.

And so sorry about your friend.

D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity.

Crocodile Cryer.......Not us my friend.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mckram said:

I think it’s harsh to say he’s left us in a worse state.

I’m fairly certain that in terms of moor farm, the academy and our facilities we are in a much better position. The stadium has also had a lot of money spent on it with concourse heating, all the extra screens and advertising space. Yes the club no longer own the stadium but they had the money from the sale and it’s not like it’s owned by somebody who is going to shaft us. 

Transfers we spent badly but didn’t do too bad on sales. You could argue Hughes was too cheap but we cashed in on Vydra, Ince and Hendrick for example.

I’d say we’re probably better known globally as a result of Mel. Lampard and Rooney have been very clever moves financially no matter how you look at it with the sponsorship (and pay off Chelsea gave us for Lampard).

If we beat QPR or Villa at Wembley then everyone would be saying he left us in a better position no doubt about it. 

Will take exception to a lot of that as a lot of that is very selective recollections - the Anyas, Butterfields, Blackmans, Johnson's etc far outweighed the Vydras and Inces. The amount we got for Will Hughes still rankles and Morris must have been aware of the incoming fee unless he was sold without his knowledge.

You mention the stadium improvements however it's still not clear yet whether Morris will retain the stadium or not as part of the takeover and if he does then absolutely will leave us in a worse position before his arrival. 

The fact is that we didn't beat QPR or Villa and the money that we did lavish on a lot of players was absolutely wasted - our achievement in getting to the playoffs against Villa was down predominantly to the loans of 3 players from Chelsea and Liverpool not players we had bought or developed ourself. 

You've also failed to mention the managerial merry go round, sacking managers for random reasons, coining the word the Derby Way which has now become a phrase for ridicule and contempt.

Two unfair dismissal claims successfully won by ex employees against him and so on. 

Anyhows his legacy isn't an unblemished one is my point.

Mel’s tenure, has and will be debated for many years, but I feel that right now, today, this topic isn’t the place for it.

That’s not a members must obey orders from the top, just my personal opinion.

On reading this article, I wasn’t thinking about the money, the signings, appointments or sackings. I wasn’t thinking we’re in a relegation battle or what’s happening with the takeover.

My thought was, ****, a Derby fan that cares deeply about this football club and the city of Derby is in poor health and to top it off, he’s lost his best mate to COVID, **** I hope he’s ok.

I sent him a message privately wishing him well because as a human I felt that is the right thing to do.

Again, this is just my personal take but any other opinions right now are incredibly distasteful. Some members may disagree and I’m fine with that, after all we are all here to voice our opinions.

My opinion is as above, this really isn’t the time.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Mel’s tenure, has and will be debated for many years, but I feel that right now, today, this topic isn’t the place for it.

On reading this article, I wasn’t thinking about the money, the signings, appointments or sackings. I wasn’t thinking we’re in a relegation battle or what’s happening with the takeover.

My thought was, ****, a Derby fan that cares deeply about this football club and the city of Derby is in poor health and to top it off, he’s lost his best mate to COVID, **** I hope he’s ok.

I sent him a message privately wishing him well because as a human I felt that is the right thing to do.

Again, this is just my personal take but any other opinions right now are incredibly distasteful. Some members may disagree and I’m fine with that, after all we are all here to voice our opinions.

David, is it possible perhaps you could send a message of thanks and best wishes from all (most) on this forum. Obviously most of us can't send a private message. Thank you. 

19 minutes ago, David said:

Spot on and as the scarlet pimpernel said can you pass on our best wishes from the forum. ????

33 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Will take exception to a lot of that as a lot of that is very selective recollections - the Anyas, Butterfields, Blackmans, Johnson's etc far outweighed the Vydras and Inces. The amount we got for Will Hughes still rankles and Morris must have been aware of the incoming fee unless he was sold without his knowledge.

You mention the stadium improvements however it's still not clear yet whether Morris will retain the stadium or not as part of the takeover and if he does then absolutely will leave us in a worse position before his arrival. 

The fact is that we didn't beat QPR or Villa and the money that we did lavish on a lot of players was absolutely wasted - our achievement in getting to the playoffs against Villa was down predominantly to the loans of 3 players from Chelsea and Liverpool not players we had bought or developed ourself. 

You've also failed to mention the managerial merry go round, sacking managers for random reasons, coining the word the Derby Way which has now become a phrase for ridicule and contempt.

Two unfair dismissal claims successfully won by ex employees against him and so on. 

Anyhows his legacy isn't an unblemished one is my point.

Were all the singings Mel's choices??? How would we know who is going to be a good signing. Signings are hit and miss and I would take issue with the comment of bad signings far outweighing good signings over the last few years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Morris backed his managers. Anya was a good servant for Watford, then didn't play much for us, Blackman was signed after a purple patch then put on the wing for us, wasn't Butterfield Huddersfield's player of the season??? 

Get well soon Mel.

Just now, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Were all the singings Mel's choices??? How would we know who is going to be a good signing. Signings are hit and miss and I would take issue with the comment of bad signings far outweighing good signings over the last few years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Morris backed his managers. Anya was a good servant for Watford, then didn't play much for us, Blackman was signed after a purple patch then put on the wing for us, wasn't Butterfield Huddersfield's player of the season??? 

Get well soon Mel.

If you had reacted to this before @David's post then I would have replied but in my opinion its appropriate to leave it for the time being. 

Awful to hear about Mel’s health struggles. I may feel that he has done a pretty terrible job of running Derby County, but I would never wish ill on a man who is clearly a ram at heart. Totally understand him wanting to sell the club given everything that’s happened to him (to be honest, I’d understand it even if all was well because Championship clubs absolutely burn money!). I’m sure all Derby fans will join me in hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery, and is feeling much better all round soon. Also hope for both his and the clubs sake that we can find a legitimate buyer for the club soon - I’m sure all this messing about isn’t a stress that Mel particularly wants right now. 

Get will soon Mel, all of ramkind will be behind you, even once you’ve left the club.

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Awful to hear about Mel’s health struggles. I may feel that he has done a pretty terrible job of running Derby County, but I would never wish ill on a man who is clearly a ram at heart. Totally understand him wanting to sell the club given everything that’s happened to him (to be honest, I’d understand it even if all was well because Championship clubs absolutely burn money!). I’m sure all Derby fans will join me in hoping he makes a full and speedy recovery, and is feeling much better all round soon. Also hope for both his and the clubs sake that we can find a legitimate buyer for the club soon - I’m sure all this messing about isn’t a stress that Mel particularly wants right now. 

Get will soon Mel, all of ramkind will be behind you, even once you’ve left the club.

Was the barb necessary? 

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

I understand what you’re saying, although a player is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If Will Hughes was sold on the cheap then why were no other clubs mentioned as interested.

The manager changing doesn’t really leave us ‘worse off’ now...which of them would you have kept in charge baring in mind Lampard and Rowett were poached.

The unfair dismissal claims aren’t as clear cut as you say either, I’m fairly certain with Keogh that he lost his appeal twice before it?! Out of interest, how would you have dealt with Keogh? It’s easy to say Mel’s choice is wrong but what would have been the right thing? 

Happy to debate matters tangential to Morris for decorums sake now - you asked a question as to how I would dealt with Keogh, the answer would be I would not have dealt with Keoghs case in isolation from the other 2 players and would have tried to be consistent and fair with the outcome regards all 3 players as a group or quite rightly I would leave myself open to justified criticism.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Happy to debate matters tangential to Morris for decorums sake now - you asked a question as to how I would dealt with Keogh, the answer would be I would not have dealt with Keoghs case in isolation from the other 2 players and would have tried to be consistent and fair with the outcome regards all 3 players as a group or quite rightly I would leave myself open to justified criticism.

Its very difficult to say whether he dealt with it correctly or incorrectly as non of us know the full/real facts of what exactly happened.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I sincerely hope Mel gets well, he has obviously been through a personal hell over the last year.

I also hope those posters who have been spouting their vitriol about him and demanding this and that over the same length of time take pause and try to learn to be kinder to people.

A lot of people on here were lambasting Mel , why this , why that , where's Mel now , he's very quiet , he's abandoned us ....................

Now you KNOW ! ........NEVER judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes , I hope some of you on here feel thoroughly ASHAMED  of yourselves. 

Just now, secretsquirrel said:

Its very difficult to say whether he dealt with it correctly or incorrectly as non of us know the full/real facts of what exactly happened.

The OP asked how I would have dealt with it and I gave the reply that I would have tried to be fair, consistent and even handed in my approach and dealt with all 3 as a collective. 

As far as I'm concerned being consistent is the most appropriate way of dealing with all disciplinary matters. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's a fair enough answer if all 3 had committed a equal offence the problem was it was deemed one had not. 

4 hours ago, i-Ram said:

No vitriol on my part. But to lose £200m on a Championship football club over 6 years, much of it pre-Covid, smacks of major stupidity let alone financial incompetence...

Does it?

To me, it reeks of "Spending what he can afford on something he enjoys doing". 
OK, maybe that should be in the past tense now?  I truly don't know?

Some would spend their money on supercars, or yachts.... loose women... gee-gees... travelling the world, buying up hotels as they go.
The list is endless.  Particularly so for someone reputed to be worth £0.5 billion.

At worst, it may have been a gamble on Mel's part... HOPING it pays off financially (read "promotion"), but not overly worried (again, from a financial viewpoint) if it doesn't.

I don't see "losing".  I don't see "stupidity". 

In fairness, neither do I see bravery or heroicism. After all, he can/could afford it.  

I'm tempted to use the term "expensive hobby".

I'm just pleased for him that he got the opportunity to something he wanted to do, and will always be grateful for what he has achieved... and for what he tried to achieve.

?

1 hour ago, David said:

How many "Likes" are we allowed?

Sums up my thoughts perfectly... but with the added bonus of having Mel on speed dial.

Nice!

Archived