Allestree Park Golf Course Petition

Steve Buckley’s Dog

Good luck with this - would sign but not local so won't count.  I was a member of a local course myself (not municipal but very welcoming of pay and play and affordable green fees) but this has now closed courtesy of one on my biggest bug-bears - HS2 ?

On 02/02/2021 at 18:19, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Quick update that has been posted on the petition site.

The council are apparently refusing to count any signatures on the petition unless you put your postcode. They will only count signatures from Derby but apparently if you have put Derby as where you live that isn’t quite good enough for them so they are not counting these. Apparently for them to consider debating it they have to have a certain number of people from Derby signing the petition -  but only if you put your postcode.

Sounds to me like they are trying everything to avoid discussing this which obviously raises more suspicions but there you go. The whole thing seems to have been done quietly whilst we are all locked away. Poor in my view.

I realise saving the money would free up some more cash for further giant rings to be placed randomly in the city centre but something of this nature is so important, especially in a time such as this.

so, I urge you all to re-sign and remember your postcode! And share with your friends (with a Derby postcode).

@ossieram@Mucker1884@Curtains @Mostyn6 @Gee SCREAMER !! @Tyler Durden @BaaLocks @jimbo jones @Gaspode

On 29/10/2021 at 08:53, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Bit of a bump to the thread. Last throw of the dice I suspect in the attempt to save the golf course. Taking the matter to central government. All reasons and explanations on the website, so I won’t put too much detail here about the lack of democracy, and a new petition which needs names and postcodes otherwise they won’t count them. 

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/Derby-city-council-allestree-golf-course-reverse-undemocratic-decision-blocking-reopening-of-the-course?recruiter=840385823&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_medium=whatsapp&utm_content=washarecopy_31111039_en-GB%3A0&recruited_by_id=ac6356b0-db1f-11e7-9817-8b7a48e1fb7d

Copied you guys in as you have signed previously. Cheers.

@ossieram @Mostyn6 @Rev @Mucker1884 @Curtains @Gaspode @Tyler Durden @Gee SCREAMER !! @BaaLocks @jimbo jones

Done.  Though I have a DE postcode it's now Staffordshire, so might not count.  

On 30/10/2021 at 19:18, Boycie said:

Is Sinfin golf club still going? That was council too wasn’t it?

Nowt like Allestree though, I remember a hole that you had to tee off over a rhododendron bush, unless I’m mistaken?

Think they cut those back a bit but there are / were a few holes where you have/ had to get it up and over bushes, streams and trees. An interesting course whereas Sinfin is just a bit dull. It is still going I believe. 

I may be in a minority, but I like the idea of just letting it go wild. There's enough golf courses - and I say that as someone who used to be a member at Sinfin, used to play for Derby golf club in competitions and who, in the words of Mark Twain, used to spoil many a good walk.

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

I may be in a minority, but I like the idea of just letting it go wild. There's enough golf courses - and I say that as someone who used to be a member at Sinfin, used to play for Derby golf club in competitions and who, in the words of Mark Twain, used to spoil many a good walk.

The cynic in me still suspects that once the course is allowed to 'go wild' there will be a chunk sold off for housing. Land in that area will be worth a small fortune - this strikes me as the council trying to push their eco credentials while also hoping they can (at a future date) push through a sale that wouldn't be possible while the golf courese was in existence.....

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

I agree Eddie - the rewilding plan sounds great to me. Let's be honest - if the Golf course was viable as a going concern then it would have been retained. The market has spoken, and instead we get something that returns nature and rebalances the environment

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

The cynic in me still suspects that once the course is allowed to 'go wild' there will be a chunk sold off for housing. Land in that area will be worth a small fortune - this strikes me as the council trying to push their eco credentials while also hoping they can (at a future date) push through a sale that wouldn't be possible while the golf courese was in existence.....

Is there anyone with connections to a property developer on the council who is pushing for rewilding? if so, your cynical opinion will prove to be fact!

We had a cattle market in Uttox for 500 years until a local developer got himself on the council and persuaded his colleagues to build an Asda and housing on the site with grandiose promises to relocate the cattle market 1/2 a mile away.

Of course, the building went ahead but the cattle market is history.