Allestree Park Golf Course Petition

Steve Buckley’s Dog

As you may or may not know, or may or may not care, Derby City Council have closed Allestree Park Golf Course. Without going into all the details, this is a municipal golf course, a place where it is/was affordable for people to play, free of dress codes and golf snobs. It is also a great workout and a good place for people who play/ed here to maintain their mental health as well as physical fitness. A place where golfers and dog walkers co-existed symbiotically and peacefully.

I used to play here with my Dad and have recently took my young lad down here and he is beginning to play and enjoy it. 

Anyway, if it is of interest to anyone, please sign this petition. And apologies if petitions are not allowed on the forum, please remove if it breaks the forum rules.

http://chng.it/G7xDCdpp

29 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

As you may or may not know, or may or may not care, Derby City Council have closed Allestree Park Golf Course. Without going into all the details, this is a municipal golf course, a place where it is/was affordable for people to play, free of dress codes and golf snobs. It is also a great workout and a good place for people who play/ed here to maintain their mental health as well as physical fitness. A place where golfers and dog walkers co-existed symbiotically and peacefully.

I used to play here with my Dad and have recently took my young lad down here and he is beginning to play and enjoy it. 

Anyway, if it is of interest to anyone, please sign this petition. And apologies if petitions are not allowed on the forum, please remove if it breaks the forum rules.

http://chng.it/G7xDCdpp

is it supported by rate payers currently or does it stand on its own 2 feet?

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

is it supported by rate payers currently or does it stand on its own 2 feet?

DCC say that it costs rate payers £60k a year to run currently, hence external bids to run the course were invited. There were offers to do so but these were turned down, and details not released, so the validity or robustness of said bids could not be deduced. It is a course designed by Colt, a world famous course designer. Would be a massive loss to the community and surely can be saved, which is the point of the petition.

Thanks all, it is a beautiful course. Played twice with my lad in the last few days of it being open, including into near darkness on New Years Eve. Didn’t think about anything else, didn’t even worry about my wayward shots-just enjoyed the beautiful course and being with my lad and thought about the many afternoons I had spent with my dad and his mates when I was growing up. 

Feel free to pass the details on to your friends. The more the merrier, it gives a faint glimmer of hope in these thoroughly miserable times. And I agree, these ‘mind spaces’ are going to be so so important going forwards. Doing all of this through COVID as well seems a little too convenient to me.

Anyway, thanks to all those who have signed. 

Back in the day you used to get free use of all municipal sports facilities if you were 'on the Sausage' (or dole for those not familiar with Peartree rhyming slang). Cut my chops as a golfer at Sinfin but also played Allestree many times. Both really good municipal courses - Sinfin was a proper figure of eight so you could stop for a couple of refreshers after the ninth (in the days before I understood golf etiquette).

Golf has enjoyed a significant resurgence since the pandemic struck, for all the reasons mentioned - and I totally agree that should be someething available to all.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Golf has enjoyed a significant resurgence since the pandemic struck, for all the reasons mentioned - and I totally agree that should be someething available to all.

One of the few things that you’ve actually been able to do for the past year, ridiculous to be doing this right now.

It would be a shame if this place disapeared. I'm not a golfer myself, but did work for DCC many years back and did 6 months as a green keeper at Allestree and really enjoyed it.

We had to be there way before the first golfers turned up so we could check the fairways, rake the bunkers and swish the greens and it was a cracking walk to start the day off.

45 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It would be a shame if this place disapeared. I'm not a golfer myself, but did work for DCC many years back and did 6 months as a green keeper at Allestree and really enjoyed it.

Can you pop round to Pride Park and have a butchers at the pitch? All suggestions welcome!

In the big scheme of things it's a ridiculously small amount of money to save when they've burnt through so many unplanned millions on the A52 roadworks and the Assembley Rooms refurb - both of which can be attributed to incompetence by councillors and council officials.

I'm always suspicious of the motives behind these decisions - housebuilders would love to get their hands on an attractive bit of land in Allestree - we shall see.....

I distrust the council in Derby when it comes to anything improving the city. Getting rid of the glasshouses at Markeaton then putting no bedding plants round the city centre as they had nowhere to grow them ?.

Letting the bridge on Friargate get into an abhorrent state - reckon thats got 10 years life in it before it's deemed dangerously unsafe.

The debacle with the old theatre on Green Lane.

Leaving the Guildhall repairs to an extent where the entire internal roof structure needed replacing .

My favourite was a chat I had with a Derby historian about the court on St Marys Gate.  Apparently it held the earliest complete set of Royal Crown Derby - it was taken out but not returned when some repairs were being done .  They flogged it to some American collector without consulting anyone .  

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

In the big scheme of things it's a ridiculously small amount of money to save when they've burnt through so many unplanned millions on the A52 roadworks and the Assembley Rooms refurb - both of which can be attributed to incompetence by councillors and council officials.

I'm always suspicious of the motives behind these decisions - housebuilders would love to get their hands on an attractive bit of land in Allestree - we shall see.....

I agree with all that is being said. Please feel free to sign the petition! Whether it makes any difference remains to be seen but can’t do any harm. Went for a walk on the course on Sunday-terribly sad waste. Although one of @ossieram bunkers on the 17th was a foot deep in water which had iced over. The dog went crashing through it in the same way my ball would have done. 

14 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I agree with all that is being said. Please feel free to sign the petition! Whether it makes any difference remains to be seen but can’t do any harm. Went for a walk on the course on Sunday-terribly sad waste. Although one of @ossieram bunkers on the 17th was a foot deep in water which had iced over. The dog went crashing through it in the same way my ball would have done. 

Already signed...?