Allestree Park Golf Course Petition

Steve Buckley’s Dog

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I distrust the council in Derby when it comes to anything improving the city. Getting rid of the glasshouses at Markeaton then putting no bedding plants round the city centre as they had nowhere to grow them ?.

Letting the bridge on Friargate get into an abhorrent state - reckon thats got 10 years life in it before it's deemed dangerously unsafe.

The debacle with the old theatre on Green Lane.

Leaving the Guildhall repairs to an extent where the entire internal roof structure needed replacing .

My favourite was a chat I had with a Derby historian about the court on St Marys Gate.  Apparently it held the earliest complete set of Royal Crown Derby - it was taken out but not returned when some repairs were being done .  They flogged it to some American collector without consulting anyone .  

Are the Assembly Rooms still there last time I heard they were being planned on being pulled down. 

I hardly frequent Derby City centre anymore living in Notts even less so now with Covid lockdowns.

I have to say that it's a lovely place to walk the dog now there are no annoying golfers shouting at you to "get off the fairway" and "stop that dog digging a hole in the bunker" and "BRING BACK MY BLOODY BALL YOU STUPID DOG!"

But in all seriousness - it's a hell of a lot of grass, so it will quickly need maintaining once the spring comes. If there is no greenkeeper then it's going to become a wasteland

Quick update that has been posted on the petition site.

The council are apparently refusing to count any signatures on the petition unless you put your postcode. They will only count signatures from Derby but apparently if you have put Derby as where you live that isn’t quite good enough for them so they are not counting these. Apparently for them to consider debating it they have to have a certain number of people from Derby signing the petition -  but only if you put your postcode.

Sounds to me like they are trying everything to avoid discussing this which obviously raises more suspicions but there you go. The whole thing seems to have been done quietly whilst we are all locked away. Poor in my view.

I realise saving the money would free up some more cash for further giant rings to be placed randomly in the city centre but something of this nature is so important, especially in a time such as this.

so, I urge you all to re-sign and remember your postcode! And share with your friends (with a Derby postcode).

@ossieram@Mucker1884@Curtains @Mostyn6 @Gee SCREAMER !! @Tyler Durden @BaaLocks @jimbo jones @Gaspode

taking episode 4 GIF
It’s obvious the council are going to sell it off for housing. No doubt a few brown paper bags have been handed out by developers. 
why else would the council refuse to acknowledge the existence of offers to keep it as a golf course?

14 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Quick update that has been posted on the petition site.

The council are apparently refusing to count any signatures on the petition unless you put your postcode. They will only count signatures from Derby but apparently if you have put Derby as where you live that isn’t quite good enough for them so they are not counting these. Apparently for them to consider debating it they have to have a certain number of people from Derby signing the petition -  but only if you put your postcode.

Sounds to me like they are trying everything to avoid discussing this which obviously raises more suspicions but there you go. The whole thing seems to have been done quietly whilst we are all locked away. Poor in my view.

I realise saving the money would free up some more cash for further giant rings to be placed randomly in the city centre but something of this nature is so important, especially in a time such as this.

so, I urge you all to re-sign and remember your postcode! And share with your friends (with a Derby postcode).

@ossieram@Mucker1884@Curtains @Mostyn6 @Gee SCREAMER !! @Tyler Durden @BaaLocks @jimbo jones @Gaspode

Have you considered contacting some of the big golf YouTubers and see if they can do something to bring this to people's attention? Rick Shiels, Mark Crossfield, Danny Maude, GolfMates - all UK based vloggers that I think would be itching for stories to post about at this time.

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Have you considered contacting some of the big golf YouTubers and see if they can do something to bring this to people's attention? Rick Shiels, Mark Crossfield, Danny Maude, GolfMates - all UK based vloggers that I think would be itching for stories to post about at this time.

Hi. This isn’t my petition, just making people aware as thought a few on here would be interested in signing and might not be aware of what is going on.

DCC aren’t interested in anyone’s opinions sadly. They have already made the decision to close and dismantle the course. The petition maker however feels or believes that if a certain number of signatures are reached then the matter has to be debated/discussed by DCC which could be the last opportunity to save it. DCC seems to have responded by saying that they will only accept signatures with a Derby postcode. The reason for this could be that quite a few have signed from elsewhere due to the matter being raised, discussed and investigated on golfshake - a website. Worth a look as the fella there investigated the design of the course. There is also a video taken on the last day of play which is on YouTube. So it looks like your excellent suggestion was previously acted upon!

I am not a mad keen golfer so don’t know these things. I play on the course maybe once a month and only started again due to my 9 year old becoming interested. It is for him that I want to fight this as Allestree, our local course, is a great place where he can come round with me and see how not to do it and then play a couple of holes himself. We don’t have to worry about not wearing the right clothes and importantly we can afford it.

Thanks for the interest and suggestion. Appreciated 

20 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Thanks for the interest and suggestion. Appreciated 

Tweeted a couple of the bigger You Tubers just to suggest they might want to do a piece on general closure of municipal courses. I get your point that the council don't care if you're not from Derby (and, to be fair, I see their point) but they wouldn't like a bit of national media attention either.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Tweeted a couple of the bigger You Tubers just to suggest they might want to do a piece on general closure of municipal courses. I get your point that the council don't care if you're not from Derby (and, to be fair, I see their point) but they wouldn't like a bit of national media attention either.

Yes I understand it also and think it is probably fair enough. Seems a bit pedantic though to refuse a signature if someone has said they are from Derby but not put a postcode. 

I think the whole thing is such a bad decision and once the course is properly decommissioned, which is already happening,it will never be reversed. 

Thanks for your support

Such a shame this, used to spend at least 3 days a week at Allestree during the summer holidays playing two rounds a day.

All for £50 a year, which also included Sinfin. First course I beat 100, 90 and 80 on. 

You can pay that a round at some other local courses, £60k a year seems a bargain for a council to invest in the populations fitness.

I've signed too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Bit of a bump to the thread. Last throw of the dice I suspect in the attempt to save the golf course. Taking the matter to central government. All reasons and explanations on the website, so I won’t put too much detail here about the lack of democracy, and a new petition which needs names and postcodes otherwise they won’t count them. 

Petition: https://www.change.org/p/Derby-city-council-allestree-golf-course-reverse-undemocratic-decision-blocking-reopening-of-the-course?recruiter=840385823&utm_source=share_petition&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_medium=whatsapp&utm_content=washarecopy_31111039_en-GB%3A0&recruited_by_id=ac6356b0-db1f-11e7-9817-8b7a48e1fb7d

Copied you guys in as you have signed previously. Cheers.

@ossieram @Mostyn6 @Rev @Mucker1884 @Curtains @Gaspode @Tyler Durden @Gee SCREAMER !! @BaaLocks @jimbo jones

On 02/02/2021 at 19:40, Mucker1884 said:

I recall specifically changing the pre-filled location (Showed Nott***ham and the first half of an NG postcode!  I felt soiled! ?).  I presume this was my laptop making out it knew my location?  ?‍♂️

Anyway, just done it again, this time using work email & postcode (Derby again, obvs).

?

I got Notts with a Heanor postcode ?‍♂️?