Jump to content

Musicians you go back to time and again


Recommended Posts

Inspired by the Actor thread

i am a melody sort of person so pop, rock, punk, scar whatever has never been a great thing for me. 
Sure a good power ballad or something blasting out when driving on a sunny day or after a big win, will always be in my mental collection .. but who’s music do you get lost in and go back to again and again through your ages and moods  ?

I just love Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel 

lots of others as artists in general and a vast number of “this is my fav song ever” - until my mood changes but Simon and Garfunkel, I always go back to. So many haunting melodies 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wildhearts / All solo and other associated band works by Ginger Wildheart (the best, most consistent and most prolific English songwriter of the past 30 years)...

Associated bands like Eureka Machines, Scott Sorry, Exit_International + so many more

David Ford (second best UK songwriter), Alkaline Trio, Less Than Jake, Foxy Shazam, Tim Minchin

Jim Bob of Carter USM, Frank Turner

Meat Loaf if I'm feeling nostalgic, drunk & emotional. SImilarly The Get Up Kids perhaps (or perhaps not)

Sonic Boom Six, Riskee & The Ridicule, Rancid sometimes, some Andrew WK stuff

Recently (past 5 years) a go-to albums have been Chemical Miracle by Trophy Eyes, Rue by Hellions

I mean the list could be endless.

 

Music is everything, really. Whereas I can never be arsed to sit down and watch a TV series / film over and over again (I just don't find them very engaging, too mcuh time for too little payback) music is totally different and you can put the same thing on repeat  10+ times in a row, feel something every time and not get bored -  especially when it's a new release from someone you love.

Edited by Coconut
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles, beatles, oasis, certain beach boys lps, stone roses, groundhogs-split, simon and garfunkel, gnr- appetite, bowie- hunky dory and ziggy stardust, t-rex-the slider, jimi hendrix, soul 11 soul - not club classics its different mixes, Jefferson airplane- first 2 lp's.  joy division, Sam cooke, Led zep 1,2 and 4 - not 3. The Who, rolling stones 66-70   Loads more .napalm deaths my favourite. 

OK made the last one up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have multiple personalities when it comes to music. 
 

I was originally an indie/rock kid. Influential family members pushed Billy Idol and Bon Jovi onto me, before peers/mates and I discovered Stone Roses, Smiths, Charlatans in about 1992. 
In 93, I got hold of my mother’s then boyfriend’s record collection, he was an old Skinhead but was into Tamla Motown, which set me off down that route. Built up a decent collection of Motown and Soul, then started going to Pennine Soul nights with my hooligan mates 20 years ago, which had a back bar playing more modern soul, so then started exploring that, D Train, SOS band, Shalamar, Evelyn King. Whilst downloading some illegal music back in 2007, I got hold of a 9 volume compilation that got me into Funky Disco (earth,wind and fire, Bee Gees etc).
I was a frustrated, and still am, guitarist, so naturally appreciate live music and sit wide-eyed watching Jools Holland’s show and Glastonbury. 
 

In recent years, I started going to Butlins for the 80s weekenders, and that has triggered an appreciation for music I hated at the time. Some Wham songs, some Madonna sings, Erasure etc etc, really takes me to a goofy, happy place in my head! 
 

I also have music related tattoos. I have a Stone Roses “love spreads” tattoo, a full profile of Paul Weller in his Jam days, and my favourite lyric “The future is not what it used to be” (bonus points for Artist and Song title!)

so, I’m quite lucky, Motown, Disco, Funk, Northern Soul, 80s, Indie Rock, 60s classics all float my boat. 
 

go to artists:- Paul Weller, Foals, Marvin Gaye, The Police, Wham, Stone Roses, Four Tops, Otis Redding, Rev Al Green, The Who, Michael Jackson, The Kinks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoy listening to the Foo Fighters. I am fairly eclectic, and go through seasons of music. Whether it's house, rock, pop, classical (mainly orchestral pieces from movies and games), hip hop, I have favourites in those. But whatever mood I am in, I can easily put on a Foo Fighters track and enjoy it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some great stuff on here. Lots of ones on here who I could have said from over my life: Simon & Garfunkel, The Boss, Bragg, Oasis, Roses, Smiths, Charlatans, Otis Redding, Foo Fighters, Dylan.

My favourite for last couple of years have been Wilco.

Previous faves over the years have been Manics, Belle and Sebastian, The Clash, Super Furry Animals, The Go-betweens, Gram Parsons, Teenage Fanclub, Neil Young.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some great stuff on here. Lots of ones on here who I could have said from over my life: Simon & Garfunkel, The Boss, Bragg, Oasis, Roses, Smiths, Charlatans, Otis Redding, Foo Fighters, Dylan.

My favourite for last couple of years have been Wilco.

Previous faves over the years have been Manics, Belle and Sebastian, The Clash, Super Furry Animals, The Go-betweens, Gram Parsons, Teenage Fanclub, Neil Young.

Forgot the Smiths- Strangeways here we come is a great lp. Teenage Fanclub did a couple of really good lp's back in the day when Kurt Cobain was championing them as the best band in the world- didn't really develop for me though.  First Manics lp is fantastic.  The Clash - going to upset people I know- not for me, although Combat Rock was ok.  Bit faux revolutionary for me.  Can't be that much of a socialist shaker when you share a flat with Sebastian Conran and get custom made shirts from Jasper 😃

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I won’t go many weeks without playing an Album by The Cure, Radiohead, Suede, The Smiths or Depeche Mode. I really enjoy discovering new bands and sounds to listen too, but those 5 groups are my staple diet and I never get bored with them.

Went to see Suede at the assembly rooms. Very lively gig and one that Brett Anderson refers to as his favourite gig they've ever done.  In his words' people in Derby are crazy there's definitely something not right there' .  At the time it was more as a prompt to go as I wasn't that fussed.  They early stuff has aged very well over time though compared to others.   The Cure I should have listed - fabulous.  Saw Radiohead as support for someone in Derby- think it was James.  They were ok but didn't think I see them headline Glastonbury. Done some good stuff though.  Aren't Depeche Mode about the most successful band ever now- go under the radar but massive in the states. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jono said:

Inspired by the Actor thread

i am a melody sort of person so pop, rock, punk, scar whatever has never been a great thing for me. 
Sure a good power ballad or something blasting out when driving on a sunny day or after a big win, will always be in my mental collection .. but who’s music do you get lost in and go back to again and again through your ages and moods  ?

I just love Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel 

lots of others as artists in general and a vast number of “this is my fav song ever” - until my mood changes but Simon and Garfunkel, I always go back to. So many haunting melodies 

There catalogue for about 5 or 6 years together is brilliant.  Paul Simon is up there in the top 5 songwriters but he greatly undervalued how effective his mate was at selling them.  Still wrote great songs after, but you don't really feel them and it restricted the kind of stuff he could probably have put out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I won’t go many weeks without playing an Album by The Cure, Radiohead, Suede, The Smiths or Depeche Mode. I really enjoy discovering new bands and sounds to listen too, but those 5 groups are my staple diet and I never get bored with them.

What I find incredible about Depeche Mode is how Vince Clarke wrote most of the first album and a couple of singles, then left the band.

Amazingly, they just carried on without him churning out the hits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Forgot the Smiths- Strangeways here we come is a great lp. Teenage Fanclub did a couple of really good lp's back in the day when Kurt Cobain was championing them as the best band in the world- didn't really develop for me though.  First Manics lp is fantastic.  The Clash - going to upset people I know- not for me, although Combat Rock was ok.  Bit faux revolutionary for me.  Can't be that much of a socialist shaker when you share a flat with Sebastian Conran and get custom made shirts from Jasper 😃

Give Grand Prix another listen, Teenage Fanclubs 4th.

I didn't get into Manics until Everything Must Go, then worshipped their early stuff for a few years. Seen them live a few times and put on a great show.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 minutes ago, ramit said:

There are so many artists i revisit, but perhaps these below more than others

The Beatles

T. Rex

Blue Oyster Cult

The Kinks

Stan Getz

Credence Clearwater Revival

The Doors

David Bowie

The Police

Steve Miller Band

Steely Dan

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Cat Stevens

And some Icelandic bands, of course

 

 Cat Stevens- good shout. Teaser and the Firecat given the choice. Doors LA woman almost made my list.  Kinks are one of those that were inspired or really poor for me .  More of a singles band but Village Green is a really good lp with stuff like Picture Book on it.  John Fogerty has the best voice on the list. 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.