Musicians you go back to time and again

jono

On 22/01/2021 at 22:54, Rev said:

Fields of Gold by Eve Cassidy is such a great cover, one of the best.

Magical voice and perfect rendition.

when I hear it, it takes me back to a particular life moment when I was incredibly down but by chance I saw those fields of gold in Fife and Angus east of Scotland. Lifted me, changed my outlook on so many things. Something I carry with me always and that song refreshes it every time. Thanks for that memory ??

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/01/2021 at 19:24, ariotofmyown said:

Give Grand Prix another listen, Teenage Fanclubs 4th.

I didn't get into Manics until Everything Must Go, then worshipped their early stuff for a few years. Seen them live a few times and put on a great show.

Man Made is much better in my opinion... went to see them at the Bell on Sadlergate, awesome.

Frank Turner for me. 

Was never really into music the way most people are. Never got it when people said they can't live without music. 

I watched Top of the Pops every week as I had no choice due to my older siblings insistence. 

Went to uni and was more exposed to music but nothing really 'got me'. 

That was before I heard Hysteria by Muse and was blown away by them. Got their back catalogue and love it all. Not so keen on their latest offerings mind. 

Then came Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. Loved them and played them along with Muse on constant repeat. 

We Were Promised Jetpacks then cane on the scene after they did the background music to the best goals of the week on Soccer AM (Lovejoy and Chamberlain era). Went to their gig in London (my first ever real gig) and again was blown away. Still my best ever gig! 

However, that was before I heard Frank Turner. I heard The Road and Photosynthesis when he was at the V Festival, quickly downloaded his entire back history and was totally blown away. Song for everything, what ever mood I was in. Even his depressing songs cheered me up! "Theres a song for every time you win, and every time you lose",  " Sing for the records you played till they broke, For the parts where you insisted that nobody spoke, Sing for the words that you knew, but they still make you choke". (and I still choke to that every single time) 

Seen the man a dozen times, always awesome. Amazing front man! 

First gig was over 12 years ago, but is my go to artist. 

Sorry. Went on a bit longer than I thought but I had to justify my posting. 

PS the lyrics are from the songs I Still Believe and Pass it Along respectively. The first is my favourite, the second is a homage artists who do it for the sheer love of their craft. 

53 minutes ago, Igor_111 said:

Frank Turner for me. 

Was never really into music the way most people are. Never got it when people said they can't live without music. 

I watched Top of the Pops every week as I had no choice due to my older siblings insistence. 

Went to uni and was more exposed to music but nothing really 'got me'. 

That was before I heard Hysteria by Muse and was blown away by them. Got their back catalogue and love it all. Not so keen on their latest offerings mind. 

Then came Arctic Monkeys and The Killers. Loved them and played them along with Muse on constant repeat. 

We Were Promised Jetpacks then cane on the scene after they did the background music to the best goals of the week on Soccer AM (Lovejoy and Chamberlain era). Went to their gig in London (my first ever real gig) and again was blown away. Still my best ever gig! 

However, that was before I heard Frank Turner. I heard The Road and Photosynthesis when he was at the V Festival, quickly downloaded his entire back history and was totally blown away. Song for everything, what ever mood I was in. Even his depressing songs cheered me up! "Theres a song for every time you win, and every time you lose",  " Sing for the records you played till they broke, For the parts where you insisted that nobody spoke, Sing for the words that you knew, but they still make you choke". (and I still choke to that every single time) 

Seen the man a dozen times, always awesome. Amazing front man! 

First gig was over 12 years ago, but is my go to artist. 

Sorry. Went on a bit longer than I thought but I had to justify my posting. 

PS the lyrics are from the songs I Still Believe and Pass it Along respectively. The first is my favourite, the second is a homage artists who do it for the sheer love of their craft. 

you must also like Beans On Toast then too..... both him and Frank Turner are genius.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

you must also like Beans On Toast then too..... both him and Frank Turner are genius.

Yeah. Beans on Toast supports Frank a lot... At leaat in the earlier days. I do like him.. But never got into him in the safe way. 

Surprised anyone has heard of either of them to be honest. Warms the cockles it does. 

"Funny" story. After me and my housemate became besotted by him, we got tickets to his gig at Brixton Academy. We were waiting at the cashpoint, and in the next bank was FT himself! My friend had the audacity to say to him that he had better be good. He replied meekly.. I'll try! Suffice to say, he obliged! 

7 hours ago, jono said:

Magical voice and perfect rendition.

when I hear it, it takes me back to a particular life moment when I was incredibly down but by chance I saw those fields of gold in Fife and Angus east of Scotland. Lifted me, changed my outlook on so many things. Something I carry with me always and that song refreshes it every time. Thanks for that memory ??

That's the unique thing about music, I think.

Every once in a while I'll hear something that transports me back to a place and time, and the trigger memory is so vivid, even though what's triggered the memory is beyond all recollection.

12 hours ago, Igor_111 said:

Yeah. Beans on Toast supports Frank a lot... At leaat in the earlier days. I do like him.. But never got into him in the safe way. 

Surprised anyone has heard of either of them to be honest. Warms the cockles it does. 

I like a couple of Frank Turner's songs but I've never really listened to any of his albums or anything. Might give it a go.

Beans on Toast is great. Afternoons in the Sunshine, A Whole Lot of Loving and M.D.M.Amazing are particular favourites.

9 hours ago, Rev said:

That's the unique thing about music, I think.

Every once in a while I'll hear something that transports me back to a place and time, and the trigger memory is so vivid, even though what's triggered the memory is beyond all recollection.

This year I decided to start going back through all the stuff I listened to pre 2010. Back to the stuff I owned before Spotify opened up a whole new world.

Some of it I haven't listened to for a long time, but I still know most of the words.

More than that though, my mind just gets filled with memories. Some attached to a very specific moment, others just a general point.

Incredible really that the mind can hold such information, but can I remember what my own number is...

16 hours ago, Igor_111 said:

Beans is doing a free live stream on Sunday from his living room, I have watched 4 or 5 of them he has done over the last year, he is great.

Seen Frank Turner a few times, i think the first time was supporting Billy Bragg and followed him ever since then, he is amazing live too, just like Mr Bragg and Beans.

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I like a couple of Frank Turner's songs but I've never really listened to any of his albums or anything. Might give it a go.

Beans on Toast is great. Afternoons in the Sunshine, A Whole Lot of Loving and M.D.M.Amazing are particular favourites.

You see son, we are almost the same person arent we....embrace it.!!!

Best Beans song is Peaches of Wandsworth..

Beans on Toast sounds like a group of teenagers sat in the garage annoying neighbours as they destroy songs when their mum shouts....beans on toast ready and that was the name decided.

Managed half a song before when Moosepack was banging on about them, couldn’t punish my speakers anymore.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Beans on Toast sounds like a group of teenagers sat in the garage annoying neighbours as they destroy songs when their mum shouts....beans on toast ready and that was the name decided.

Managed half a song before when Moosepack was banging on about them, couldn’t punish my speakers anymore.

Come on Deidrie, let yourself go, enjoy it.... imagine you are one of those silly little teenagers, i dont know, riding around on one of those silly little e-scooters..something like that..

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Come on Deidrie, let yourself go, enjoy it.... imagine you are one of those silly little teenagers, i dont know, riding around on one of those silly little e-scooters..something like that..

Don’t you ride a kids BMX or something still? 

Archived