Derby County Vs Bournemouth Matchday thread.

Rev

Just now, Rammy03 said:

Every time bird has played this season he's been a passenger, too negative. 5 yard passes sideways and backwards. I could sit in the midfield and do that.

Unfortunately this notion is gaining traction but I disagree. His retention of the ball is intelligent & he is capable of real quality into front players - for example v Luton his slide rule pass to Jozwiak setting up our goal there and v Huddersfield his superb ball latched onto by Knight who was clean through but inexplicably called offside. 

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

he is capable of real quality into front players - for example v Luton his slide rule pass to Jozwiak setting up our goal there and v Huddersfield his superb ball latched onto by Knight who was clean through but inexplicably called offside. 

Yes he has got that quality when he plays a bit further forward but not enough. He plays far too deep, where he ends up playing negatively. Push him a bit further forward and hopefully we'll see more from him

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Unfortunately this notion is gaining traction but I disagree. His retention of the ball is intelligent & he is capable of real quality into front players - for example v Luton his slide rule pass to Jozwiak setting up our goal there and v Huddersfield his superb ball latched onto by Knight who was clean through but inexplicably called offside. 

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's become a bit of an urban myth. He's become a victim of our poor form this season. His options when on the ball are severely limited due to his team mates subconsciously hiding. He's intelligent enough not to just launch it forward aimlessly. 

There's no doubt that when we're on song as a team that he has it in his locker to find that killer ball. I definitely believe there is more to come from him. It is an unfair tag that you quite rightly say is gaining traction. 

Quietly slightly, ever so slightly confident about tonight, not sure why after the Rotherham game.

We was down and out under Cocu, managed to go and beat Norwich, feel like there could be a little apology reaction on it’s way from the players performance on Saturday.

You’re all welcome to your doom and gloom outlooks, just let me enjoy my little bit of optimism without laughing ok.

24 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. It's become a bit of an urban myth. He's become a victim of our poor form this season. His options when on the ball are severely limited due to his team mates subconsciously hiding. He's intelligent enough not to just launch it forward aimlessly. 

There's no doubt that when we're on song as a team that he has it in his locker to find that killer ball. I definitely believe there is more to come from him. It is an unfair tag that you quite rightly say is gaining traction. 

I think Bird is a good player at his age has good technical ability and can see a pass, just feel his chances are limited with an inform Bielik in the side,and don't think he has a goal in him or any real physical presence in the box to see him play further forward. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Quietly slightly, ever so slightly confident about tonight, not sure why after the Rotherham game.

We was down and out under Cocu, managed to go and beat Norwich, feel like there could be a little apology reaction on it’s way from the players performance on Saturday.

You’re all welcome to your doom and gloom outlooks, just let me enjoy my little bit of optimism without laughing ok.

Haha, you fool! 

It's the hope that keeps us going isn't it? 

Like childbirth you forget just how painful it is. 

I'm full of optimism before every game and then about ten minutes in the first FFS erupts and I'm not someone who swears often in everyday life. 

6 minutes ago, David said:

No,I agree with you on this one,it feels as though we should get a reaction from the boys for this match.

Anyway,a bit of optimism is a welcome drop of hope in an ocean of meh at the minute.

4 minutes ago, leroyoftherovers said:

I think Bird is a good player at his age has good technical ability and can see a pass, just feel his chances are limited with an inform Bielik in the side,and don't think he has a goal in him or any real physical presence in the box to see him play further forward. 

He's definitely gonna have to be patient and bide his time to force his way into the team. I'm confident that he won't let us down when his opportunity arises.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Haha, you fool! 

It's the hope that keeps us going isn't it? 

Like childbirth you forget just how painful it is. 

I'm full of optimism before every game and then about ten minutes in the first FFS erupts and I'm not someone who swears often in everyday life. 

Ha, got to be. I know there’s a lot that’s going on around the club at the minute, trying my best to block it all out and go with the what will be will be attitude.

Come game day, if I couldn’t find any ounce of optimism, it would be time to get out and find something else to fill my time.

And I say that as myself personally only, this is not a be like me or you’re not a fan kinda thing. We’re all different (thankfully!)

Still a lot I really like from this underperforming team and will be there from 5pm, beer in hand believing we can go out there and bag the 3 points.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Ha, got to be. I know there’s a lot that’s going on around the club at the minute, trying my best to block it all out and go with the what will be will be attitude.

Come game day, if I couldn’t find any ounce of optimism, it would be time to get out and find something else to fill my time.

And I say that as myself personally only, this is not a be like me or you’re not a fan kinda thing. We’re all different (thankfully!)

Still a lot I really like from this underperforming team and will be there from 5pm, beer in hand believing we can go out there and bag the 3 points.

Yep. Good plan. 

Wouldn't it be nice to have a positive day tomorrow on the forum? ?

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He's definitely gonna have to be patient and bide his time to force his way into the team. I'm confident that he won't let us down when his opportunity arises.

Think he's already shown great maturity and patience to come through at a young age and be in and out of the first team without feeling to much of a knock back. 

14 minutes ago, David said:

David your quite right,players should be able to go out their and get some thing ( probably covid) but we shouldn't have turned into a bad team over night. Let's hope the lads do some thing tonight however I've banged £500 quid in Bournemouth as a dead cert and hopefully elivates my finances due to covid?

3 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

One poster said ‘stop Bielik stop Derby’. This is why he’s seemed less effective last two games - he’s had one sometimes two men on him much of the time and he’s not yet learned how to deal with that. But if he is drawing attention, there is more space for others. Maybe play Sibley alongside him and hope the extra space allows Sibley to provide some of the creativity we lack

the other person to exploit the space is Kamil who has been off it of late so we haven't been able to take advantage.  Not sure whether he is home sick or fed up not being paid or upset by the takeover uncertainty or a it of all of them

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

'Stop Bielik, Stop Derby'

Clearly teams have cottoned onto how influential he is so we need another focal point in there - my choice would be Bird (in place of Shinnie), who like Bielik is comfortable receiving possession in tight areas & shifting it on both short & long. It also allows Bielik to drift a bit further up the field (with the insurance of Bird behind him) where his impressive range of passing can cause a bit more damage. 

I'd bring Sibley in for Waghorn & move Jozwiak wide right. Thought Waghorn was very poor on Saturday & Sibley is more incisive - i.e. more likely to run with the ball & get a shot off

Knight needs to get far closer to Kazim tonight & the other 'winger' needs to get into the box also - giving us at least 3 in there whenever the ball is coming in from opposite side. Saturday we were again undermanned in the 18 yard box.

image.png.cdaf8d33cadf315d5b8704800483d915.png

I'd be tempted by that with Bird and Bielik swapped around going forwards but perhaps not tonight. 

Saturday it was very obvious very quickly that by man marking Bielik and packing the middle Rotherham could very easily make it extremely disjointed in midfield which combined with CKR against 3 centre backs meant we never got a proper foot hold in the game. Our game plan of aggresive counter pressing was inneffectual against a team that didn't care about having the ball and we were crying out for a second ball player in midfield to get a hold of it, get us playing and take the pressure of Bielik.

Tonight I expect Bournemouth to pass and keep the ball a lot more and suspect we will be on the counter quite a bit and I don't think they will set up us to blunt us in the same way. So I think having Shinnie kept in there is likely to be effective as we try and win the ball aggresively high up the pitch. The only change I'd make is bringing in Sibley and leaving at that for tonight but past that I'd be strongly considering swapping in Bird to play the role of linking play up like Hughes used to as that is where he is strongest. 

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

the other person to exploit the space is Kamil who has been off it of late so we haven't been able to take advantage.  Not sure whether he is home sick or fed up not being paid or upset by the takeover uncertainty or a it of all of them

Can't but think the pitch isn't helping any player that plays on grass rather than in the air! It's awful.

5 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

David your quite right,players should be able to go out their and get some thing ( probably covid) but we shouldn't have turned into a bad team over night. Let's hope the lads do some thing tonight however I've banged £500 quid in Bournemouth as a dead cert and hopefully elivates my finances due to covid?

You’ve put £500 on Bournemouth? ?

Not trying to find excuses for the Rotherham game, but we had little training as a group prior to the game.

Hopefully tonight you’re £500 down you mad man! 

24 minutes ago, David said:

I'm somewhat with you. 

With how we are setting up I think we seemingly play better for the most against teams who look to keep the ball and are better than us, we've come unstuck more trying to break down so called "lesser" teams for the most part. With the counterpressing of Knight and Shinnie I suspect there is high chance we create opportunities knicking the ball in dangerous areas, the important part will be properly capitlising on it before we begin to run out of steam.

Archived