The Rooney Way?

RoyMac5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/01/2021 at 13:26, Tyler Durden said:

Seeing as Gerrard and his team have been unbeaten in the league for the entire season then it does worry me that Rooney is now advocating approaching things in a different way to Gerrard ?

To be fair, we could do something similar if we were in League 2 with Forest as the only other significant team there.

The 'Rooney way' has certainly tightened up the defence. In our last 10 league games. we've only conceded 4 goals, as opposed to 21 in the previous 14. That's comfortably the lowest in the league. Considering we lost 3 of the 10, that's remarkable.

Okay, so we only scored 9 in that period but it's brought us 4 wins and 3 draws.

Considering the state we were in when he took over, and the on-going problems (EFL, take-over, wages, Covid, Keogh), that's amazing.

He must be very focused.

On 16/01/2021 at 13:08, RoyMac5 said:

@Rammy03) Curtis Davies on R5 now talking about how it was with Cocu (bit boring!) and now with Wayne. Bits about Mac (not seen 'pitchside')

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live

starts about 13:00, should be able to rewind it to there.

Thanks for this, some really good points raised on here. Liked the comments about Schteve not been too involved, liked the comments on simplifying it all and liked the suggestion that Wayne is implementing some of the ways of working he got from Sir Alex. Heartening listen.

38 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He's saying and doing all the right things at the minute. The sooner we can sort our poo out and start supporting him properly, the better.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/12194185/wayne-rooney-Derby-manager-insists-he-wont-quit-even-if-takeover-collapses

The fact that a Sky Sports article has been published, insinuating that our new manager could quit 6 days after getting the job, is the most Derby County thing I’ve ever seen.

On 16/01/2021 at 13:08, RoyMac5 said:

@Rammy03) Curtis Davies on R5 now talking about how it was with Cocu (bit boring!) and now with Wayne. Bits about Mac (not seen 'pitchside')

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live

starts about 13:00, should be able to rewind it to there.

Just listening. Glad it’s given a bit more insight into Mac’s role.

Far more involved with the footballing side than I first assumed, but not involved enough to take any credit away from Rooney.

59 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He's saying and doing all the right things at the minute. The sooner we can sort our poo out and start supporting him properly, the better.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11696/12194185/wayne-rooney-Derby-manager-insists-he-wont-quit-even-if-takeover-collapses

Further down the long article is Neville talking about Rooney:

"He was always going to be a coach as he always wanted to be a coach. I thought it was one of the best Monday Night Football shows when he came on. You could see he was a student of the game.

I just hope his teams have the personality of Wayne Rooney the kid, not the Wayne Rooney who got older and smoothed over with age. I know you've got to be articulate nowadays, but I hope he's like a Diego Simeone. That's what he was like as a player and as a kid. A team that is aggressive and ferocious."

#ComeonRooneysRams

There is no doubt Rooney is determined single mined character, you don't achieve what he has without having that drive and inner believe in yourself. 

This, however this is total new situation. On the football pitch he could physically influence things through his own skill,mental strength and physic. Now he can only in-part he's ideas and message on to others to 'hopefully put into practice what they have been in told. While all the time membering they maybe be lesser morals when it comes to speed of thought and skill level.

It is a challenge but one he want's.

I sure he will be ultimately successful, hopefully at Derby (provided we give him the time, resources and backing) to be so.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Far more involved with the footballing side than I first assumed, but not involved enough to take any credit away from Rooney.

@DarkFruitsRam7 please can you post a better link that goes to this bbc radio article as the previous one only sends you to the current live page and I can only find a football's daily 72 podcast from the Friday with Curtis Davies on it. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

@DarkFruitsRam7 please can you post a better link that goes to this bbc radio article as the previous one only sends you to the current live page and I can only find a football's daily 72 podcast from the Friday with Curtis Davies on it. Thanks.

You have to go into the schedule, scroll back to Saturday and play the 12:00 show, forward to 13:00 and Bob's your Mum's sister.

27 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Here you go, it's about 1 hour in: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rk2k

On 16/01/2021 at 13:29, RadioactiveWaste said:

Something something standard of the league something........

Seeing as we’re working our way through ex-England stars of a certain generation, I fully expect Gerard to take the next step up and come to us, when Rooney inevitably moves on to United or Everton. 

we’ll have one of the Neville’s after that. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Seeing as we’re working our way through ex-England stars of a certain generation, I fully expect Gerard to take the next step up and come to us, when Rooney inevitably moves on to United or Everton. 

Tracey?

25 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It'll be a Neville won't it.

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No doubt as he wants it.....coaching without the hassle that goes along with being the manager.

Just glad he's there.

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

But then again!

Rooney's not going to want any credit going anywhere else but him (as you would expect) and Mac doesn't seem to care,he just loves coaching and being involved.

It's not as though Steve has been making any comments whatsoever about the team,club or indeed anything else,it's the press who are probing his role and input.Macs kept his head down since he came here.

Surprised Rooney was quite spiky in his reply,it just shows a player/manager of his standings ego being slightly put out by the suggestion it's not all down to him I suppose.

Fair enough and as long as we are progressing who is bothered by who does what,it's all to the good of the squad.

Archived