The Rooney Way?

RoyMac5

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

He certainly sounds like a man who’s up for the challenge - and he’s going to need to be! He couldn’t have picked a much harder job to start his managerial career with.

I think it shows the character of the man. A natural born winner who always gives 100%. I agree, this isn't going to be easy but i'm 100% sure he'll do everything possible to get us to safety this season and then build a promotion team in the following seasons..

I also like how he talks in his interviews and he's not just talking the talk, the team is showing improvement with every game that goes by. Yes there are going to be poor performances along the way, that's natural and even the best teams duck up occasionally.

If he can get this team performing 90% of the time we'll be in a good place and I think if he's backed financially, he'll get us promoted......

that is unless utd or everton come in for him and he buggers oof ?

This Is Wayne Rooney

These things you keep
You'd better throw them away
You wanna turn your back
On your soulless days
Once you were tethered
And now you are free
Once you were tethered
Well now you are free
That was the history
This is Wayne Rooney

Now if you're feelin' weary
If you've been alone too long
Maybe you've been suffering from
A few too many
Plans that have gone wrong
And you're trying to remember
How fine your life used to be
Running around banging your drum
Like it's 1973
Well that was the history
This is Wayne Rooney!
Wooo!

Now you say you've got trouble
You say you've got pain
You say've got nothing left to believe in
Nothing to hold on to
Nothing to trust
Nothing but chains
You've been scouring your conscience
Raking through your memories
Scouring your conscience
Raking through your memories
But that was the history
This is Wayne Rooney yeah!

Now I can see you wavering
As you try to decide
You've got a war in your head
And it's tearing you up inside
You're trying to make sense
Of something that you just don't see
Trying to make sense now
And you know you once held the key
But that was the history
And this is Wayne Rooney!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!

Now I hear there's a train
It's coming on down the line
It's yours if you hurry
You've got still enough time
And you don't need no ticket
And you don't pay no fee
No you don't need no ticket
You don't pay no fee
Because that was the history
And this is Wayne Rooney!

Behold the Rooney!

16 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Does anybody still doubt the Rooney was the best choice?

I was very sceptical - mostly because of the lack of experience. But now feeling much more positive 

what is REALLY impressive is his ability to deliver results despite all the off pitch distractions. Suggests he is a very strong motivator 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

I was very sceptical - mostly because of the lack of experience. But now feeling much more positive 

what is REALly impressive is his ability to deliver results despite all the off pitch distractions. Suggests he is a very strong motivator 

Strong and calm.  If this was anybody other than Rooney the whole forum would be wetting itself

I don’t think that motivation is the issue.

I doubt whether players like Shinnie and knight need motivating. They are already motivated.

What might make a difference is common sense simple advice to players like Brian clough would give e.g. the advice to Bielik to keep it simple. Now doubt all of the players receive similar guidance based on years of experience of playing.

7 hours ago, Spanish said:

Does anybody still doubt the Rooney was the best choice?

Didn’t think he was the right choice at the time ,,,, ??‍♂️ 
now though ,watching him , listening to him speak , seeing how players respond to him I’m of the opinion he will go on to be a good manager with us and beyond ,,, I certainly believe he will be better at the manager role than lampard in the fullness of time , there’s a calmness in Rooney , focus to him but not intensity to the point of frustration bubbling below the surface  I pick up with frank and there’s a genuine smile and humour to him that I’m sure players will enjoy being around ,,,, isn’t it just the Derby way that we have the money and backing in place but not the right manager then perhaps the right managers come along and the other stuff is crumbling ??‍♂️,

would be really interesting if mel found himself in the position to turn around and carry on for a few seasons with Rooney 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Didn’t think he was the right choice at the time ,,,, ??‍♂️ 
now though ,watching him , listening to him speak , seeing how players respond to him I’m of the opinion he will go on to be a good manager with us and beyond ,,, I certainly believe he will be better at the manager role than lampard in the fullness of time , there’s a calmness in Rooney , focus to him but not intensity to the point of frustration bubbling below the surface  I pick up with frank and there’s a genuine smile and humour to him that I’m sure players will enjoy being around ,,,, isn’t it just the Derby way that we have the money and backing in place but not the right manager then perhaps the right managers come along and the other stuff is crumbling ??‍♂️,

would be really interesting if mel found himself in the position to turn around and carry on for a few seasons with Rooney 

The problem will be keeping any moderately successful manager. If they are bad we will be stuck in poo otherwise they will be constantly under offer.  

On 16/01/2021 at 11:58, RoyMac5 said:

I'm not sure if this is a new thread, but I was reading a piece on the Beeb about Rooney taking the managers job. It also was mentioning other ex-players of his generation who have gone into 'management'. So Rooney says:

"I spoke to Steven [Gerrard] on Wednesday. He's a good friend of mine and has gone down the managerial route at a young age. We approach the game in different ways but there's no harm in speaking to them about their experiences and what they've been through."

I wonder what the Rooney Way will be? What players will he be looking at getting in (eventually). We've already seen him 'turn down' the opportunity to use Marriott and Mike te Werik. 

The Marriott case is interesting. I think Wazza had a think and a discussion with Marriott. When Marriott first got injured I think Wazza still had Marriott in his mind as a possible but once he was back something changed. I suspect there’s something about Marriott’s approach that doesn’t endear him. Undoubtedly a talent who will be successful somewhere but Wazza made his mind up.

One of my key criticisms of Rooney has been his ability to affect in-game changes to positively affect results. Yesterday he was spot on though & I liked his comments post-match too about getting an initial setup wrong & addressing it quickly (below)...that's a sign of someone in control & getting comfortable with the role.

Tactical changes at half time are always brave (particularly as a rookie manager) but bringing Bird on was an excellent move. The timing of Waghorn & Kornell McDonald's introduction were also well timed & took the heat out of QPR's late onslaught. Flexibility & pragmatism are key traits of any successful manager.

20210124_103733.thumb.jpg.ccbb17b971e0a723e663c6119748038a.jpg

Yesterday was good management.

we started 523. Whilst they had 532. The extra man in midfield started to count and Ilias Chair was an absolute pest. 
Knight was dropping back which was intelligent, but qpr had the measure of us. 
the shift to 433 matched us up in the middle but QPR remained in control. We kept them at bay, thanks in no small way to kelle roos. I’m not sure that the tactical change really made that much difference but AT LEAST THEY TRIED IT. And that’s what matters. 

once we’d scored we had something to defend. It lifted everyone. Goals are so rare that instead of chasing another, we seem to accept that we should drop deep and defend our winning advantage. I liked the move to bring on MacDonald in response to the introduction of Adomah. To have four academy players on the pitch was great. It wasn’t a gimmick. They were there for what each of them could contribute. 
I would liked to have seen sibley. Another no show has me worried with deadline day approaching. 

Archived