The Rooney Way?

RoyMac5

I'm not sure if this is a new thread, but I was reading a piece on the Beeb about Rooney taking the managers job. It also was mentioning other ex-players of his generation who have gone into 'management'. So Rooney says:

"I spoke to Steven [Gerrard] on Wednesday. He's a good friend of mine and has gone down the managerial route at a young age. We approach the game in different ways but there's no harm in speaking to them about their experiences and what they've been through."

I wonder what the Rooney Way will be? What players will he be looking at getting in (eventually). We've already seen him 'turn down' the opportunity to use Marriott and Mike te Werik. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BIllyD said:

Didn't he give Marriott a "dressing" down in one of his first games, think he took the lazy option when through in goal. Given his comments about, training, I expect he has high demand and if they are not met you are out.

Yeah, I just wondered about how he might be aiming to set us up - I've no idea how 'Gerrard approaches the game' either! Lol.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Didn't he give Marriott a "dressing" down in one of his first games, think he took the lazy option when through in goal. Given his comments about, training, I expect he has high demand and if they are not met you are out.

Very similar to lampards approach. He made them work very hard in training too

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I just wondered about how he might be aiming to set us up - I've no idea how 'Gerrard approaches the game' either! Lol.

Tight at the back, energetic, hard working, at the other team and fast tempo. That’s what I make of it so far. Difficult to judge Gerrard when he is managing at the level he is....

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wonder what the Rooney Way will be? 

There's some interesting 'deductions' in this article...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55662864

"There are other aspects of Rooney's approach to management that bode well for the future.

During the 20-minute void during the pre-match warm-up, where managers generally stay hidden, Rooney is out watching, much like Jurgen Klopp does. If he spots something he is not happy with, it can be addressed once his players are back in the dressing room."

Looks to me to have a bit more of an “agricultural” style compared to Cocu. Focus seems to be on having a strong defence and getting clean sheets above all else. Beyond that, it’s the traditional English method of getting the ball into the target man as quickly as possible, and building from there. That’s why Kazim is so important in terms of holding up the ball - you then clearly need men around him to play off him. 

Not necessarily my favourite style of football - I actually quite like the possession game that Cocu was trying to build (but was too negative to do successfully) - but, to be fair, results are all I really care about. It’s definitely a style that could work well in this division if executed properly. There’s certainly a lot more energy in the press, and aggression all over the pitch than there was under Cocu. Those are important in Championship football.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not necessarily my favourite style of football - I actually quite like the possession game that Cocu was trying to build

Nope, it's boring. I much prefer to see quick attacking football and players moving with energy and intensity.

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Nope, it's boring. I much prefer to see quick attacking football and players moving with energy and intensity.

I know what you mean, but I do think that style has a ceiling, where it doesn’t work against the better teams. I don’t think energy and intensity are exactly impossible in a possession based style either, Cocu was just too negative and the players weren’t fit enough.

I’m not sure I’d call Rooney’s style “attacking” based on what I’ve seen so far, for what it’s worth.

Hard work, organise, attack directly and more hard work.

I don't really think he's developed a style as a coach yet because the situation he took over from was dire one and the fundimental first steps of working hard, stop shipping goals, try to get some wins over the line regardless of how they are got is basically all anyone could really have done over the few weeks.

It will be interesting to see how he develops as a coach and what he starts to impliment because it's how he wants the team to play as opposed to how he has to get the team playing because there's immediate needs and limited resources.

I suspect he'll be more for the organised hard working defence and direct quick attacks than technical possession and winning it as a game of chess, i.e. tranditional english team rather than european influenced, in a very broad sense (because these are not absolute things and most teams will have a degree of ability at most aspects of the game even if they tend towards a certain style by preference)

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

@Rammy03) Curtis Davies on R5 now talking about how it was with Cocu (bit boring!) and now with Wayne. Bits about Mac (not seen 'pitchside')

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live

starts about 13:00, should be able to rewind it to there.

Very interesting listen. 

Curtis was pretty scathing in a polite way. Obviously felt in general the players didn't enjoy training, that it was unrealistic, boring and resulted in the performances Cocu delivered. 

Wasn't saying 'we were unlucky' or 'training could have been really productive if the players had been able to respond to his methods'. Just seemed like he didn't enjoy it and felt it was negative with too much emphasis on keeping the ball with no work on putting it in the net. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Seeing as Gerrard and his team have been unbeaten in the league for the entire season then it does worry me that Rooney is now advocating approaching things in a different way to Gerrard ?

What a surprise.

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

@Rammy03) Curtis Davies on R5 now talking about how it was with Cocu (bit boring!) and now with Wayne. Bits about Mac (not seen 'pitchside')

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live

starts about 13:00, should be able to rewind it to there.

This clears up the rumour that the team is playing the way Mac wants. This team is Rooneys team and tactics with Mac providing little pieces of advice when needed.

We don't have the luxury of being able to play pretty football currently. It's about solidity, work rate and getting the ball in the right areas. Personnel wise, we lack a bit of imagination up front, and as a result you have to play to your strengths rather than being dogmatic about an unsuitable playing style. Above all else, currently the Rooney Way seems to be pragmatic. Time will tell what kind of football he really wants. Can't really fault him so far.

9 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

We don't have the luxury of being able to play pretty football currently. It's about solidity, work rate and getting the ball in the right areas. Personnel wise, we lack a bit of imagination up front, and as a result you have to play to your strengths rather than being dogmatic about an unsuitable playing style. Above all else, currently the Rooney Way seems to be pragmatic. Time will tell what kind of football he really wants. Can't really fault him so far.

True. Lets hope we're paying him!

He's said that if the takeover doesn't go through we go with what we have, we might get to see just how pragmatic he can be soon enough! #COYR #RooneysRams

Archived