Where is Duncan?

oldtimeram

17 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Amazing some of the nonsense I've seem thrown at him, by people completely unaware this was the case, but then have decided to write him off because he didn't play much last season ?

Exactly this.  Too many are quick to write people off even before they've seen them pull on the shirt and kick a ball..... thats airchair experts for you 

23 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Had the same issues at Liverpool and claimed he should be in their first team! Hopefully I'm proved wrong, but I reckon he'll continue to sit on the fringes of the U23s until he finds his level on the bench in League Two.

Whilst still playing with the Rams probably...

1 hour ago, Wignall12 said:

Exactly this.  Too many are quick to write people off even before they've seen them pull on the shirt and kick a ball..... thats airchair experts for you 

And so many "Academy Experts" remain blindly optimistic about Derby youth players without looking at the bigger picture.

We rate our youth so highly but the reality is that our recent highly rated players have never reached the potential of how good we thought they were. 

Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick spring to mind.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Clearly. Thst must be why he was sold to a lower league team...

I'd be interested to see some Swansea reviews of him because i always thought he ran around looking clueless... even in the U23 games he never stood out. 

Swansea have been robbed. 

23 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

And so many "Academy Experts" remain blindly optimistic about Derby youth players without looking at the bigger picture.

We rate our youth so highly but the reality is that our recent highly rated players have never reached the potential of how good we thought they were. 

Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick spring to mind.

Think most on here thought Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick were good enough to play in the Premiership and as such were proved 100% correct.

As for the current crop, Knight, Sibley, Bird and Buchanan all being monitored by Premiership teams, with the first of those already securing a slot in the Ireland senior team. Assuming they stay, let's see how they get on with the benefit of what was a tough season under their belts.

We also have other young'uns like Festy Ebosele and Louis Watson already playing in international youth teams too, to name just a couple. Might be a tad premature to dismiss their chances of progress too! 

It'll be interesting to see whether those you rather snidely refer to "Academy Experts" are ultimately proven to know a little more than your good self, since you clearly rank your judgement well above theirs. For my part, I think some of our "Academy Experts" rank among the most astute posters on here. I suppose the fact that they tend to watch the majority of youth games (or in some cases attend them) gives them something of an advantage ?‍♂️

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

16 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Think most on here thought Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick were good enough to play in the Premiership and as such were proved 100% correct

There were many people out there claiming that Will Hughes would be playing in a top 6 team... where actually he was playing championship football this year. So using your criteria, they were 100% wrong.

I'm not taking away that our academy is exciting, because it clearly is (within reason). But my point regarding our best players not actually being that good allows people to have an opinion that those who arnt anywhere as good as their peers like Duncan won't make it.

Regardless of how good or bad fans rate our youngsters, the U23s finished 6th in their league, which was above Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal. Our U18s finished 7th, which was about mid table. Man City romped it in both age groups proving money does buy success. Both teams are playing against the big clubs in England in their leagues. With the trimming of our 1st team and other players released in the U23s and U18s, its going to be tough this following season to do as well. Any talent could be taken off us (i.e. Kaide Gordon now at Liverpool).

20 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Regardless of how good or bad fans rate our youngsters, the U23s finished 6th in their league, which was above Liverpool, Man United and Arsenal. Our U18s finished 7th, which was about mid table. Man City romped it in both age groups proving money does buy success. Both teams are playing against the big clubs in England in their leagues. With the trimming of our 1st team and other players released in the U23s and U18s, its going to be tough this following season to do as well. Any talent could be taken off us (i.e. Kaide Gordon now at Liverpool).

Is the U23 league really a reflection of how good the young players of those clubs are? I think this is may be why we seem to think our academy is better than it is because of our success in these competitions... when actually the really good U23s are already staring in regular first team football such as how Mounts career has panned out.

5 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

There were many people out there claiming that Will Hughes would be playing in a top 6 team... where actually he was playing championship football this year. So using your criteria, they were 100% wrong.

I'm not taking away that our academy is exciting, because it clearly is (within reason). But my point regarding our best players not actually being that good allows people to have an opinion that those who arnt anywhere as good as their peers like Duncan won't make it.

Give the lad a chance for crying out loud and stration got injuries after came back from his loan spell.

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Give the lad a chance for crying out loud and stration got injuries after came back from his loan spell.

Derby have given him a chance all season in the U23s and he's failed to make any sort of positive impression. Same as Ibe. We're not a charity... if they don't cut it, move them on. 

8 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

We'll release him on a free at the end of next season. Bookmark me.

I think you’ll find Duncan is contracted until the end of the following season….therefore has no chance whatsoever of being released on a free at the end of next season. 

30 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Derby have given him a chance all season in the U23s and he's failed to make any sort of positive impression. Same as Ibe. We're not a charity... if they don't cut it, move them on. 

Look when duncan first came he was not fit but if works on his fitness we could well need him in first team at times.

48 minutes ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Do you not listen or read posts ? The lad had injury/fitness problems last season. A Liverpool fan I know says he is the business, just had bad advice and kicked that "advisor" in to touch , cut him some slack for goodness sake.

20 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

Do you not listen or read posts ? The lad had injury/fitness problems last season. A Liverpool fan I know says he is the business, just had bad advice and kicked that "advisor" in to touch , cut him some slack for goodness sake.

I wouldn’t advocate moving him on in any way whatsoever but people need to be realistic, he is a million miles away from first team football as things stand. He’s barely played 23s football, he didn’t register a single goal in the 23s and hasn’t ever had a loan or play any EFL or adults football at all. 

Bobby needs to get a solid run of games under his belt, maintain a level of consistency, score some goals and start to show some form. Basically all the things Stretton was doing last year.

Stop making assumptions on his 1st team potential based on rumour, supposition and Instagram posts.