This is kind of sad

Bob The Badger

Somebody asked on Twitter what was the coldest game you had ever attended and my mind went back to a game at Hillsborough in the FA Cup under Arthur Cox.

I remember the replay being rearranged several times because of a frozen pitch at the BBG, so I went to look for the details.

This was the starting line up for Derby in 1993 and the sad thing (for me anyway) is that of those 11 players I think every one other than perhaps Taylor and possibly Paterson, would be a first choice now.

Or more apposite, which Derby players now do you think would have made that team?

Goalkeeper: Martin Taylor

Defender/Right back: Mark Paterson

Defender: Mike Forsyth

Defender/Centre back: Craig Short

Defender/Centre back: Paul D Williams

Defender/Left back: Shane Nicholson

Midfielder: Martin Kuhl

Midfielder: Mark Pembridge

Forward: Marco Gabbiadini

Forward: Tommy Johnson

Forward: Paul Kitson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sage said:

Marshall, Byrne, Bielik maybe Knight

I presume Williams played midfield at that time. 

I alluded to Marshall and I potentially agree with Bielik.

I think by then Williams had dropped to CB which I personally think was his best position. 

I think Knight would have been on the bench - although he's not dissimilar to Pembridge in style, not sure he's quite there yet - and in all honesty, I haven't seen enough of Byrne to offer an educated opinion.

Coldest by far was a night at the BBG - think it was the Freight Rover Trophy against Gillingham (?). As we were normally popsiders we thought we'd be posh and go in the  Normanton stand - top tier. It was so cold I bought a cup of boiling hot coffee at half-time which I spilt over my hand on the way back to my seat - and didn't even notice until i realised the cup was half empty.....never been so cold in my life....

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I alluded to Marshall and I potentially agree with Bielik.

I think by then Williams had dropped to CB which I personally think was his best position. 

I think Knight would have been on the bench - although he's not dissimilar to Pembridge in style, not sure he's quite there yet - and in all honesty, I haven't seen enough of Byrne to offer an educated opinion.

I think Byrne is better than Paterson. I'm pretty sure Williams played CM that day. I don't recall us playing 3 CBs. 

Most of our first XI now would make the bench then. 

3 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Wolves away at Christmas 1985/86 for me

What warmed me up was the 4-0 away win

3rd Division, attendance 9,166

Scorers - Bobby Davison, John Gregory, Trevor Christie, Geraint Williams

That match wouldn't get the go-ahead these days - the pitch was a long way from where we were sat (before the re-development of Molineux) and looked like an ice rink. We were brilliant on the day.

Derby 0 Cardiff 1 in the 80s

their bloke - Vaughan? - scored from at least 35 yards

i wasn’t even remotely interested and just wanted to go home. 

Hard to disagree with Burnley at Turf Moor just after Christmas being the coldest I'd been to. Think it was 0-0 as well. Seem to remember a couple of lads in front of me going full "Toon Army" and swinging their shirts around their heads. Didn't have the same insulation as Jimmy 5 Bellies had though.

BBG late 70s, I think 0-0 versus Coventry in those brown away shirts.

I was in the Ozzie End, someone shouts to Graham Moseley, who was effectively a spectator, no gloves for goalies in those days so he had his hands down the front of his shorts:

"Are you cold Graham?"

He turns around and nods.

"Get bloody moving then!"

Edit: just looked it up. We won 2-0. It must have been so cold that I missed the goals.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-coventry-city-31-january-1976-83304/

10 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Hard to disagree with Burnley at Turf Moor just after Christmas being the coldest I'd been to. Think it was 0-0 as well. Seem to remember a couple of lads in front of me going full "Toon Army" and swinging their shirts around their heads. Didn't have the same insulation as Jimmy 5 Bellies had though.

Remember it well.. One of those is now a cabin steward for BA.

Was cold though. Was also at the BBG as per the OP.. Took the wife, she has never been since..

Archived