This is kind of sad

Bob The Badger

11 hours ago, Biley66 said:

1982 lost to Carlisle away 3-0 coldest most miserable day of my life, got home 1 o’clock in the morning. Experiences like this make the good times worthwhile ???

Me and the brother in law swear to this day that one of their players took the ball behind one of the floodlights before crossing for one of the goals lol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Britain's coldest winter since 1740 and also caused mass postponements

16 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I too was born in that January.  Coldest winter on record apparently, with only 1948(?) being comparable?  

I seem to recall tales of frozen seas, and also the River Derwent?  

EDIT To add...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/10/fa-cup-1963-freeze-abandonments

The above Guardian newspaper article just about sums it up, adding that it was Britain's coldest winter since 1740 - that's 5 years before Bonnie Prince Charlie decided he wanted to visit Derby for the weekend!!

I was 10 years old in January '63, and it was really the coldest winter I've ever experienced - no central heating or double glazed windows in the council house in those days.

18 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

It was Britain's coldest winter since 1740 and also caused mass postponements

The above Guardian newspaper article just about sums it up, adding that it was Britain's coldest winter since 1740 - that's 5 years before Bonnie Prince Charlie decided he wanted to visit Derby for the weekend!!

I was 10 years old in January '63, and it was really the coldest winter I've ever experienced - no central heating or double glazed windows in the council house in those days.

Hey, I had to walk 2 miles to school in that weather, uphill both ways. (the bit about walking to school is true ?)

Archived