This is kind of sad

Bob The Badger

Huddersfield away possibly Boxing day 1995. We won 1 nil a Ron Willems goal, ground a result from a poor game and was by far the coldest game I've ever been to. Roker Park later in that same season was bloody cold as well but we lost that one 3-0 to compound the misery!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to be the game that wasnt....Derby v Cardiff...

We tried hard though to get the game on, i popped down and took a picture of one of the guys who was shovelling grit outside the stadium

EcqKoDwX0AE9S5C.jpg

57 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

BBG late 70s, I think 0-0 versus Coventry in those brown away shirts.

I was in the Ozzie End, someone shouts to Graham Moseley, who was effectively a spectator, no gloves for goalies in those days so he had his hands down the front of his shorts:

"Are you cold Graham?"

He turns around and nods.

"Get bloody moving then!"

Edit: just looked it up. We won 2-0. It must have been so cold that I missed the goals.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-coventry-city-31-january-1976-83304/

I remember that game quite well. The picture was frozen and I thought the game shouldn't have been played. As expected the quality of football was poor. I was standing on the popside. The coldest I've been was at Brentford in the cup about 20 years ago. It wasn't that cold but I think I must have been getting ill and I wasn't wrapped up enough.

18 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Got to be the game that wasnt....Derby v Cardiff...

We tried hard though to get the game on, i popped down and took a picture of one of the guys who was shovelling grit outside the stadium.

Some of the most extreme weather in recent memory. It’s very rare for a game to be called off.

5899DB54-4EEE-4891-BA1B-A848AF6C0737.thumb.jpeg.06a5a371d144284d4804325c566e0775.jpeg

you can clearly see the damp on that tarmac.

42 minutes ago, MidWalesRam said:

Huddersfield away possibly Boxing day 1995. We won 1 nil a Ron Willems goal, ground a result from a poor game and was by far the coldest game I've ever been to. Roker Park later in that same season was bloody cold as well but we lost that one 3-0 to compound the misery!

I was thinking that Huddersfield game too. Rowett was playing for us then.

Third Div Preston away in FA Cup 3rd Round.  Late '70's. (Jan '79?)

Game postponed countless times due to snow/frozen pitch etc.  Lost count of the number of afternoons I skipped school, planning to make the trip. We finally got there... and I experienced the wrong side of a cup giant-killing for the very first time, losing 3-0.
We were sat shivering on old wooden benches, as opposed to plastic seats, so there were splinters to contend with too... not that my frozen ar5e could feel them!

It wasn't much warmer for the journey back from Cambridge, either.  (First game after relegation?)  Lost 3-0.  Minibus got tipped over whilst we were sat in a local before heading home.  All 4 tyres deflated, and a side window put through.  Was nigh on 1am when we finally headed home, after tipping the van back up, inflating the tyres, statements to police etc... and guess who was last on, and ended up with the seat by the glassless window, for the journey back in freezing thick fog!  I know!  Bloody August!  I was only in a tee shirt... A yellow one!... And we never did come back in '81!   

4 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Anyone remember the 90’s Burnley game that was abandoned due to fog with us winning. Pretty cold that day, I was in Normanton end and can remember only being able to see play in our half.

We were in the Ossie end half of the Ley Stand... a treat for my newish girlfriend's first ever footy match!  Not the best date we ever had, but after a 10 year trial run, she's been my wife for the last 24 years, so not all bad!
Even from the side (let alone from behind a goal), we couldn't see the far (Normanton) goal, or even the dug out opposite, before it got halted!

I think we lost the rearranged game?  

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

That match wouldn't get the go-ahead these days - the pitch was a long way from where we were sat (before the re-development of Molineux) and looked like an ice rink. We were brilliant on the day.

For the younger ones...

They built a new stand outside the existing ground, with a road in between!  Only when it was complete, did they demolish the existing stand, and turfed the flattened ground.  They left the pitch markings where they were originally!  That stand was miles away from the pitch! 

(Think building a new stand where Subway is, before knocking down the East stand at PPS!)

Wasn’t a Rams match. Went to a Saints game at Highbury in the late 80s. Was due to go with my brother, a Saints fan, but he couldn’t make it in the end so went on my own. Lived in London at the time. It was a night match and the coldest night in November in London for 60 years or something. The snow came down, I had about 10 layers on but was still frozen. I was in the Saints end and couldn’t believe that some of their younger fans were in T Shirts....

48 minutes ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Blackpool away Feb 1986, I was behind the goal where Andy Garner scored the winner in a 0-1 win. Cold cold cold.

This, i think i lost a stone due to the amount of calories i needed just to keep breathing, also the infamous game at Saltergate where we played on Markham Colliery pit top later in the month, Another very cold day that winter was when we won at Bramall Lane in the FA Cup

Just looked in my Dad's old diary (he used record the temperatures in Ripley and enter it there).1/1/86 (Blackpool match) max temp was -3c min was -8c.

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1962/1963 when it began to snow on Boxing Day and we still had snow and ice on the roads in March.

The 3rd Rd. FA Cup match vs. Peterborough Utd was postponded about 8 times(?) before it was played in February, with snow around the sides and a bone hard pitch.

The temperatures during January & February 1963 were minus something every day for about a month - maybe not very day, but it was bloody cold!!!

The one that sticks in my mind, was around New year, an evening match against Sheff Utd, if I remember correctly.

The bridge over the A52 was that treacherous, that you had to go one at a time holding on to the handrail with both hands, to stay on your feet.

Archived