This is kind of sad

Bob The Badger

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ram59 said:

The one that sticks in my mind, was around New year, an evening match against Sheff Utd, if I remember correctly.

The bridge over the A52 was that treacherous, that you had to go one at a time holding on to the handrail with both hands, to stay on your feet.

During Young Nigel's reign?  Now that was bloody cold.  Yes, it was Sheff Utd, and yes, I too have the same memories of the footbridge that night.

Can't recall the result, or anything about the game though!  ?

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1962/1963 when it began to snow on Boxing Day and we still had snow and ice on the roads in March.

The 3rd Rd. FA Cup match vs. Peterborough Utd was postponded about 8 times(?) before it was played in February, with snow around the sides and a bone hard pitch.

The temperatures during January & February 1963 were minus something every day for about a month - maybe not very day, but it was bloody cold!!!

My sister was born in Jan 63, my mum and dad regularly talk about how cold it was then....

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1962/1963 when it began to snow on Boxing Day and we still had snow and ice on the roads in March.

The 3rd Rd. FA Cup match vs. Peterborough Utd was postponded about 8 times(?) before it was played in February, with snow around the sides and a bone hard pitch.

The temperatures during January & February 1963 were minus something every day for about a month - maybe not very day, but it was bloody cold!!!

18 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

My sister was born in Jan 63, my mum and dad regularly talk about how cold it was then....

I too was born in that January.  Coldest winter on record apparently, with only 1948(?) being comparable?  

I seem to recall tales of frozen seas, and also the River Derwent?  

EDIT To add...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/10/fa-cup-1963-freeze-abandonments

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I too was born in that January.  Coldest winter on record apparently, with only 1948(?) being comparable?  

EDIT To add...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jan/10/fa-cup-1963-freeze-abandonments

Pedant mode on;

1948 was remembered for the quantity of snow rather than the cold.

Loads of freezing games over the decades, more recent ones have been mentioned like Scunthorpe at home, Stoke away etc but some of my memories being chilled to the bone are at rail stations waiting for delayed trains after away matches in subzero temperatures and no facilities open for hot drinks.

Ayresome Park was always cold, even in summer, Roker Park, Sunderland, if you parked near the sea in Seaburn in winter was colder than colder mccoldface on a cold day.

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

EDIT To add...

The record was set in Scotland, where the Stranraer v Airdrie cup tie was postponed 33 times, enough said.

You lot wouldn't know cold if it slapped you in the goolies you southern softies!

It's about -20 in July up here, and we are all in the North Sea with our tops off having a right proper swim!

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

The record was set in Scotland, where the Stranraer v Airdrie cup tie was postponed 33 times, enough said.

You lot wouldn't know cold if it slapped you in the goolies you southern softies!

It's about -20 in July up here, and we are all in the North Sea with our tops off having a right proper swim!

-20... that’s Mediterranean brother compared to what we have here. 

coldest game I ever went to was Vale when Igor and Jim won us promotion, my feet were actually sticking to the terrace It was that cold. 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

-20... that’s Mediterranean brother compared to what we have here. 

coldest game I ever went to was Vale when Igor and Jim won us promotion, my feet were actually sticking to the terrace It was that cold. 

Coldest for me . Plymouth away on the terrace start of March - bloody freezing.  A close second was qpr at home in the Billy Davies season when we walked in a howling gale with teeming rain from the pub to the ground or Tranmere at home on a new years day which was about - 5 and it was raining that heavy for the whole match I'm sure it would be called off today.  The pitch was a swamp as were my pants- very unpleasant.

Coldest for me was the open terrace at Burnden Park  in January mid 80s, (1.0 win, a Micklewhite goal?) Bumped into a chap, who I often stood next to at the Normanton end, but was only on nodding terms with. I remember sharing his flask of coffee, which saved me from hypothermia.

Got to agree with a previous poster, waiting around on station platforms was the worst.

10 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

I've got a mate who used to live near Inverness.

He went to a few games & he says that all the matches were ridiculously cold, especially with the wind blowing in from the sea

image.png.5aa2bb53b13ebbbf09c937d9adab42cc.png

As a kid used to go to Scotland on holiday every year. For some reason my dad took us to a pre season friendly between Arbroath and Wigan, their ground is right by the sea too...

I remember a night game (against Shef Utd maybe) where I parked outside Halfords. It had been snowing mmmm and was very icy and I slipped and fell on my arris as I got out of the car and about 5 times walking to the ground. Can’t remember ever being so cold 

1 minute ago, Beardmm said:

I remember a night game (against Shef Utd maybe) where I parked outside Halfords. It had been snowing mmmm and was very icy and I slipped and fell on my arris as I got out of the car and about 5 times walking to the ground. Can’t remember ever being so cold 

Might have been the rearranged game that had been called off in the December I think due to a waterlogged pitch. Had travelled to the original game only to be having a pint in the Brunswick and hearing it had been postponed.....

10 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

I've got a mate who used to live near Inverness.

He went to a few games & he says that all the matches were ridiculously cold, especially with the wind blowing in from the sea

image.png.5aa2bb53b13ebbbf09c937d9adab42cc.png

I can't think of any ground in the UK with a better setting than Inverness. I've been to the city many times and if it was up to me I would have lived there.  The ground is at the other end of the Kessock bridge in the photo below. Just look at the view you get when you walk to the ground from North Kessock - the village you can see in the distance.

image.thumb.png.fbfbf877c309d891b419583f48ff3bcf.png

Archived