Not Another George Thorne Thread?

DavesaRam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting read. Particularly the comments about his injury and the way he left the club. I’d heard rumours that his recovery from his broken leg wasn’t handled properly, and we sacked most of our medical staff as a result. Seems there may have been an element of truth in that. Comments about being treated shoddily before he left don’t surprise me in the slightest sadly, with the way our club has been run for the past few years.

So sad isnt it. He was amazing for us and I think he is right about his trajectory without that injury. Feel even worse for him having read that about having the football brain being the same but not the body. It is difficult to know what to do with players trying to work back but seems as if the club sometimes doesnt deal with it as well as they could. Glad we are still his club though. If only....

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Very interesting read. Particularly the comments about his injury and the way he left the club. I’d heard rumours that his recovery from his broken leg wasn’t handled properly, and we sacked most of our medical staff as a result. Seems there may have been an element of truth in that. Comments about being treated shoddily before he left don’t surprise me in the slightest sadly, with the way our club has been run for the past few years.

We must have been typing similar thoughts at the same time!

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

In what way was he treated shoddily?

He pretty much admits that he was unable to play at Championship level after his injury.

He was given a loan spell to see if he could get back up to that level and he couldnt.

Nothing he has done since indicates that it was the wrong move to get him off the wage bill.

Or do you think we should have kept him and given him some cameo appearances at £12500 extra per appearance?

25 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

“I was angry and hurt because the club I loved used something that was out of my hands, that they had agreed to, as an excuse to exile me way before this point.  Not sure what he means by this bit .  I do know what he means by 'pointless game' where he got injured- was ridiculous he started that game.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

He pretty much admits that he was unable to play at Championship level after his injury.

He was given a loan spell to see if he could get back up to that level and he couldnt.

Nothing he has done since indicates that it was the wrong move to get him off the wage bill.

Or do you think we should have kept him and given him some cameo appearances at £12500 extra per appearance?

I don’t know, you’d have to ask him for the specifics. But it certainly sounds like he feels he was treated poorly. It’s not just about letting him go, that was obviously the right call given his injury / fitness troubles. But it’s the way you go about it as well. He makes it sound like we simply cut him off and bombed him out without a seconds thought. I feel like a player who gave as much to the club as Thorne did probably deserved a bit better than being exiled to the U23s. Especially if the way we handled his injury has contributed to his career coming to a premature end. We could have at least kept him around the first team in training, even if we were looking to move him on.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did we try and claim on the insurance meaning he had to say he wasn't able to play at our level? 

Nice to hear he was as gutted as we were about the QPR game. Thoroughly good read. 

Fascinating read , "wrong sized screws" It makes you wonder about the the faith players have to put in others expertise ! Wish George all the best with the next stage of his life , think Derby fans will always appreciate the quality he showed , and yearn for what might have been , COYRs

Jeez, wish I hadn't read that! Almost feel teary which is more than a little daft. George was class on and off the pitch but it's clear how hard he's taken it. Very sad. He remains by some stretch, the most gifted player I've seen in a Derby shirt in a decade, though in Bielik, I sense, we may well have unearthed another absolute Rolls Royce.

If nothing else, I hope George is ok financially. Perhaps he should take a leaf out of Cloughie's book and get studying for a coaching role. He's an immensely bright lad, speaks very well, is respected and liked and always seemed to be ahead of play on the pitch. He's a wonderful footballing brain on him. For me, all the key attributes are clearly within him and it would give him a means to bury his ghosts once and for all.

3 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Jeez, wish I hadn't read that! Almost feel teary which is more than a little daft. George was class on and off the pitch but it's clear how hard he's taken it. Very sad. He remains by some stretch, the most gifted player I've seen in a Derby shirt in a decade, though in Bielik, I sense, we may well have unearthed another absolute Rolls Royce.

If nothing else, I hope George is ok financially. Perhaps he should take a leaf out of Cloughie's book and get studying for a coaching role. He's an immensely bright lad, speaks very well, is respected and liked and always seemed to be ahead of play on the pitch. He's a wonderful footballing brain on him. For me, all the key attributes are clearly within him and it would give him a means to bury his ghosts once and for all.

Media training, some baby steps doing bits and bobs with RamsTV, such as a few interviews, maybe with ex teammates for comfort, special interest pieces, maybe appearing as a pundit on Matchday live. 

Groom him for RamsTV basically, so when Colin retires and Owen steps up to lead, George is good to go.

He's certainly photogenic enough.

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

That's heart breaking.  Absolutely loved him. 

On the other hand many players who had their careers cut short have reinvented themselves as great managers.  Once George has recharged his batteries, I'd like to think it's a path he could follow and maybe just maybe his Derby story has some glorious chapters ahead.

My thoughts exactly, though rather better put good sir. Here's hoping! 

Archived