Not Another George Thorne Thread?

DavesaRam

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Without bragging, I started the "Sing him up, sign him up" chant in the South Stand during his debut, because it was blindingly obvious that he was someone very, very special. Well, all right then, a bit of bragging!

He could have been an England player, maybe even captain.

And yeah, all right - a lot of bragging! Its the only song I've ever started!

Talking of his debut, having signed him on loan in January 2014, it was in March and I remember thinking he looks decent...After losing at Wembley, I did wonder if we would have gone up automatically had he played sooner. Brilliant footballer.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just wow. Great article, George was for a short time one of the best players I have ever seen in a Derby shirt - and I was around for the Clough/Taylor years.

I hope that he can get his life back on track. Wasn’t BC’s career cut short due to injury? Like other have said, get your coaching badges done George...

13 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’m one of Thorne’s biggest fans, but I felt both he and Fozzy were really crap that season. Understandably so.

I felt thorne was the sort of player who had his performances over analysed. However that season i thought considering the formation we were playing he did aswell as anyone (the DCM partnership in the following game after Sunderland was hardly spectacular ? ). For me George was always best being the lone DCM with a Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick buzzing around in midfield. He was capable of spectacular at times but often his best games were just sitting and picking up the pieces and getting the ball to one of the other midfielders.

During the rowett season we played a lot of the time with two DCM, it meant that there was more requirement on the likes of Thorne to push further upfield, he didnt have the outlet he had in the Mac years. In the Mac years many of his passes (not all of course) were a couple of yards, in the Rowett team he was having to either pick out Huddlestone, which was seen as a sideways pass, or ping a 50 yarder, which of course you will see less accuracy than a 2 yard pass.

Thats how i saw it anyway.

17 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I felt thorne was the sort of player who had his performances over analysed. However that season i thought considering the formation we were playing he did aswell as anyone (the DCM partnership in the following game after Sunderland was hardly spectacular ? ). For me George was always best being the lone DCM with a Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick buzzing around in midfield. He was capable of spectacular at times but often his best games were just sitting and picking up the pieces and getting the ball to one of the other midfielders.

During the rowett season we played a lot of the time with two DCM, it meant that there was more requirement on the likes of Thorne to push further upfield, he didnt have the outlet he had in the Mac years. In the Mac years many of his passes (not all of course) were a couple of yards, in the Rowett team he was having to either pick out Huddlestone, which was seen as a sideways pass, or ping a 50 yarder, which of course you will see less accuracy than a 2 yard pass.

It is interesting that George played most effectively as the lone CDM. Playing two CDMs never seemed to work for us, as it weakens the team further forwards, and they tend to get in each other’s way. Since the return of Beilik in the current side we look like we are playing more as a single CDM, with Shinnie roaming around more, and it is much, much better. 

9 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Madcarell wasn't George Thorne,but he wasn't bad, then he got a broken ankle (I think it was) same time as Martin and bent were both injured I think we ended up with Jamie Hanson.

Oh it was a horrible abortion of a season when it went wrong....I remember a 2-1 away win at Watford and thinking we're going to do it......sigh.....

Sounds like an ex-girlfriend. Back on topic it's a crying shame what happened to GT. I wish him all the very best for whatever his future may hold. 

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

You can even take it further. As a lone DM he had the freedom to position himself to receive it on the back foot from any of the back four - allowing his first touch to open his body up. 

In a 4231 he could only receive it on his back foot from the full-back on his side. 

Then, in a 4231, it’s not only a sideways pass to Huddlestone. It becomes a sideways pass to the winger, it’s easier to mark one #10 than two #8s and with Nugent over Martin it becomes a ball over the top as opposed to a ball to feet. 

His involvement in both of these goals is absolute perfection. If you’re teaching somebody how to play as a #6 you’d show them this. Positioned at an angle, back foot touch to open his body, zipped forward.

A very very sad read. I don't think George is understating the case for what might have been at all - he really was that exceptional. Wouldn't it be great if the first post-Covid full capacity match at Pride Park was a pre-season friendly testimonial for George? Maybe against Man United or Everton, if Rooney is going to be the manager on a permanent basis...

Thing is he never came back for after that leg break he looked overweight and another injury waiting to happen. I don’t think he was the type of player to stay behind for extra training to get fitter either, more a player that like to get fit through games. That rowett season suited him as he didn’t have to pass the half way line, but he got dropped for Ledley in the end. 
He also never ran freely after his injury and he has to get over that to salvage his career. 

21 hours ago, cannable said:

You can even take it further. As a lone DM he had the freedom to position himself to receive it on the back foot from any of the back four - allowing his first touch to open his body up. 

In a 4231 he could only receive it on his back foot from the full-back on his side. 

Then, in a 4231, it’s not only a sideways pass to Huddlestone. It becomes a sideways pass to the winger, it’s easier to mark one #10 than two #8s and with Nugent over Martin it becomes a ball over the top as opposed to a ball to feet. 

His involvement in both of these goals is absolute perfection. If you’re teaching somebody how to play as a #6 you’d show them this. Positioned at an angle, back foot touch to open his body, zipped forward.

That’s assuming we did pass it to the midfield most of the time we bypassed it 

Archived