New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Mac came in and revitalised our academy, Nigel Clough seems to get the plaudits but it was Mac that came in and said if you want good players we need a lot more investment and infrastructure in the academy and basically told the club that the players we have in the academy coming through are no where near good enough. End of that season we basically emptied our more senior academy teams and focused on getting the best talent from around the country not just the county.  He was right nearly none of the previous years set graduates until Bogle have done anything of note. Now we have a conveyor belt of talent coming through and one of the best academy set ups in the country.

He didn’t play them because there was no one to play, instead we took young players on loans or bought from premier league teams ie Dawkins/Ibe/wisdom/Bamford/Butland/Omar Mascarell/Thorne/Ince/Christie/Michael Keane/Lingard/Roos. 

Mac liked a balance of youth and experience. Yes he signed Nugent and Bent too but youth was at the core, and his aspirations for the academy have set it on its way. He did play Lowe/Bennett/Hanson out of the academy too but none of them really looked all that good, Lowe looks good but I think it was good business in the end 

Not quite. Mac said the current U21s (now U23s) weren't good enough to step up, which resulted in the likes of Calero, Koblenz and Santos being signed.

Investment in the academy started when Clough was here, which was when the academy was 'ring fenced', Wassall came in and got everything set up. But, it wasn't until Mel took over that the cash was available for ramping investment up considerably, and moving up to Cat 1 status.

Cooper would be a great fit at Derby, plays attacking football, knows how to develop youth and sets up systems to get the best out of players. He tweaked his team to get Brewster scoring as much as possible last year rather than dropping him in and expecting him to work... He could do wonders with our current crop of young talent.

1 minute ago, Abu Derby said:

The last guy we tried to get from Swansea was Ferry Body and they just kept increasing the asking price until we couldn’t afford him. I would imagine that they’d want a substantial payout if we made a move on their manager. 

And somewhat fortunatly for us, he turned out to have George Thorne level knee injuries.

The new owners had discussed future projects with Wenger before the Derby announcement was made thats why I put 2 and 2 together to make 78..

Mind you, if they convinced him before that the project was exciting then maybe he would still be up for it albeit from the Championship basement..lol

6 minutes ago, Yani P said:

The new owners had discussed future projects with Wenger before the Derby announcement was made thats why I put 2 and 2 together to make 78..

Mind you, if they convinced him before that the project was exciting then maybe he would still be up for it albeit from the Championship basement..lol

What had they discussed?

When he gave a recent interview he mentioned the project that they wanted him involved in..obviously it wasn't Derby and not sure if it was as manager or DoF..so no idea if he would have even been spoken to regarding this totally different Derby project I was just what iffing lol

This might seem the last word in being an 'entitled' Derby fan.. But Wenger wouldn't really be something I would want

Know its a great opportunity for mickey-taking... bottom of Championship fan saying they could do better, but he would be a strange fit (as well as incredibly unlikely and overqualified too). 

14 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

This might seem the last word in being an 'entitled' Derby fan.. But Wenger wouldn't really be something I would want

Know its a great opportunity for mickey-taking... bottom of Championship fan saying they could do better, but he would be a strange fit (as well as incredibly unlikely and overqualified too). 

Agreed, never going to happen. 

39 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I'm totally with you, it would just seem "wrong"

Archived