New Manager

dantheram

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The noise around Rafa is actually concerning now: if people start to think the ridiculous is possible then expectations start to go out of control. 

Do you see Rafa going to any other Championship club? Of course not, so why on earth would he join one without the benefits of parachute payments and sitting dead last with a quarter of the season gone.

I could see John Terry and Paul Cook being contenders for the job and actually getting it. I would say from the announcement tonight that Rooney is not in the picture for the top job. I really don’t see Howe as a sensible suggestion either, because he left Bournemouth and the Derby job is a substantially worse prospect at the moment. 

I’m going to say that my gut feeling screams John Terry as it ticks a couple of boxes that I think we will be keeping an eye on both commercially and otherwise. 

Money talks wages talks .

Any manager would manage any club as long as there paid enough .

It all depends if the new owners have the clout some say they have not whether rafa would come , of course he would come if the money is right .

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

It all depends if the new owners have the clout some say they have not whether rafa would come , of course he would come if the money is right .

So you agree he won't come here then? If you think he would only come for money then he won't be coming here since we can't pay him anything regardless of how rich our owners are. FFP is still the limiting factor here and we can't use parachute payments to bypass it.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I think the high expectations are being balanced by Rooney-Gregory combo. Anyone would sound good after they've been thought as a option.

What's everyone's problem with Johm Gregory all of a sudden? I know he got FC Nazereth relegated. And obviously after that he was leading FC Ashdod to relegation before they sacked him. But he went on to narrowly AVOID relegation with FC Kairat! And then he went on to WIN the Indian Super League with Chennaiyin! I know what you're thinking, they'd just won the league anyway - but he still won it. 

What's Benitez ever won?

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think even we had a better away record than this ?. I think he’s done a good job wherever he’s been but I’m being wary when I see a run like that. 

3C861024-0609-4E38-8E7F-F0D693F1EAAF.jpeg

I knew there was something that worried me slightly when I heard his name. I think that's why I got mixed up and thought he was known for playing defensive football (not that it bothers me that much). 

Obviously you have to look at his whole time at Wigan, which was pretty successful, but I do remember their away form being shockingly bad under him the other year. No idea if it was any better last season, mind.

35 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

P&S regulations, tied in with our lack of parachute payments make that an issue. It's simply not a realistic option for us or any Championship club at this point in time. If they decide to bin the regulations and open the floor gates then perhaps we will see the colour of the Sheikhs money, but it seems understood that the guy coming in isn't a maverick money man that's looking for a toy - he's a business man who wants to grow his brand and ultimately make money. 

When you look at the popular realistic options there’s not too much to get excited about. How come the Pozzo family at Watford always manage to pull out someone that you’ve never really heard of, but turns out to be good, at least for a season??? 

At the moment, someone like that would get me more excited than a journeyman or complete rookie. 

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The noise around Rafa is actually concerning now: if people start to think the ridiculous is possible then expectations start to go out of control. 

Do you see Rafa going to any other Championship club? Of course not, so why on earth would he join one without the benefits of parachute payments and sitting dead last with a quarter of the season gone.

He was linked when these guys were bidding for Newcastle - But I suspect more of a 'hopeful' local journo writing it rather than a real link

Then the nationals picked it up (because they rarely verify rumours)

So then obviously Rafa has a connection to this ownership group - OBVIOUSLY

It's a non-rumour based on nothing (would be my thought)

However - Definitely gonna wind up my Newcastle mates with it

My personal opinion on the next manager is that whoever we get is bound to have done well at some point in their career and and another point they probably haven't, so it's hard to judge whether any option is good or bad. Sometimes things click for managers and other times they don't, it has been referenced previously but Mac1 wasn't exactly inspiring and I personally wasn't massively excited at the time, but look what happened on the pitch after that appointment.

I'll reserve judgement, no matter who we get, until I see the impact... or lack of... once they get the job and have some time to implement their ideas.

33 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He was linked when these guys were bidding for Newcastle - But I suspect more of a 'hopeful' local journo writing it rather than a real link

He wasn't linked with our prospective owners, in fact, Mike Ashley blamed these guys for Benitez leaving. So not sure where all this Benitez talk is coming from, apart from these owners wanting to takeover Newcastle during Benitez's regime.

Personally speaking I have 3 potential managers who I believe maybe possible candidates that we could hire.

In order of preference they are:

Ryan Lowe (Current Plymouth Argyle manager)

Paul Cook (Available)

John Terry (I assume would like to become No1 after serving his time as assistant)

I know Mel prefers not to pinch managers, but it won't probably be his decision?

I really like Ryan Lowe, seems to have a great attitude, understands attitude and work ethic as well as ability are all needed.

Paul Cook must I think get his chance with a higher regarded Championship side at some point. 

John Terry I admire for taking a position as an assistant, before looking for a managers role. He has an awesome will to win and I think players would respond to him

Anyone is a gamble but for me I would like any of these

Archived