New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just me who thought this statement was a bit...odd?

Not known the club put out a statement of sorts to declare the hunt for a new manager is underway before...

...almost feels like, and maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but a bit of build up to something exciting? I don't know. Maybe not.

I too find it very odd. Why are they referred to as "investors" rather than owners?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Doesn't Rafa still have a house in Liverpool & his family still live there. Might have made that up but im sure if he doesn't now he did until recently 

His house is not in Liverpool it is in Delamere Forest, about 15 miles east of Chester

50 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I have to agree. A great name on paper but the fit with us does not seem obvious.

Two main issues for me;

1. What would be his motivation for coming here? Hes been at some of the best clubs in the world. Always think when choosing a manager or buying a player, you need to recruit either 'up & coming' or 'point to prove'. Otherwise where is the drive to succeed coming from?

2. His usual style of football is not unlike Cocu's...quite passive, defensive, possession based. Quite apart from some fans wanting a more attacking style, theres also the argument that his style of football will struggle against the high intensity, high tempo opposition we face most weeks. Newcastle was different as Benitez had the best squad in the division, we don't.

I can just see it now.

Get Benítez in....get him in!

Fast forward three months:

This is ducking boring Benítez out!

1 hour ago, ram1964 said:

Rafa ain't coming, why would he. He's on a small fortune earning easy money and I doubt would consider a move unless a top flight job was offer. Most our recent managers have been of a calibre of offering promise such as Paul Clement,Lampard,others just cutting their teeth the snake,or considered past their best SM.

Would be a real coup should we attract Rafa or the likes and who ever we appoint will surely give an idea of intent and future investment by the new owners.

Why would he - well there’s only so many deep fried rats and cockroach on a stick that you can eat in any one year 

6 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I only put £2 on Paul Cook - honestly ( 20/1 ) and that halved his odds ! 

I know he's favoured by quite a few on here but, if it is him, I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed.

Mind, the last time I felt like that was when Jim Smith was appointed ?? 

And at least he's not Gregory.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I know he's favoured by quite a few on here but, if it is him, I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed.

Mind, the last time I felt like that was when Jim Smith was appointed ?? 

And at least he's not Gregory.

I know what you mean but I've just got this funny feeling he's going to have a similar career to Chris Wilder...

I was genuinely worried he was going to get the Forest job...for about 20 minutes, anyway ??

34 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Considering Paul Cook, hasn’t he led Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan to titles and promotion? 
Seemingly an excellent choice but it’s so unpredictable who would make a good manager. I would love Paul Cook to be given the chance but would be backing whoever is chosen.

Thought people thought we should avoid those initials but perhaps third time lucky? I would like a manager like him who seems no nonsense and just gets on with it. Fed up being so and sos Derby County and the circus that goes with it. 

The noise around Rafa is actually concerning now: if people start to think the ridiculous is possible then expectations start to go out of control. 

Do you see Rafa going to any other Championship club? Of course not, so why on earth would he join one without the benefits of parachute payments and sitting dead last with a quarter of the season gone.

I could see John Terry and Paul Cook being contenders for the job and actually getting it. I would say from the announcement tonight that Rooney is not in the picture for the top job. I really don’t see Howe as a sensible suggestion either, because he left Bournemouth and the Derby job is a substantially worse prospect at the moment. 

I’m going to say that my gut feeling screams John Terry as it ticks a couple of boxes that I think we will be keeping an eye on both commercially and otherwise. 

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

they were a newly promoted side. Bet our record was about just as good/bad!

8 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Overall did a great job there ?

I think even we had a better away record than this ?. I think he’s done a good job wherever he’s been but I’m being wary when I see a run like that. 

3C861024-0609-4E38-8E7F-F0D693F1EAAF.jpeg

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The noise around Rafa is actually concerning now: if people start to think the ridiculous is possible then expectations start to go out of control. 

Do you see Rafa going to any other Championship club? Of course not, so why on earth would he join one without the benefits of parachute payments and sitting dead last with a quarter of the season gone.

I could see John Terry and Paul Cook being contenders for the job and actually getting it. I would say from the announcement tonight that Rooney is not in the picture for the top job. I really don’t see Howe as a sensible suggestion either, because he left Bournemouth and the Derby job is a substantially worse prospect at the moment. 

I’m going to say that my gut feeling screams John Terry as it ticks a couple of boxes that I think we will be keeping an eye on both commercially and otherwise. 

I think the high expectations are being balanced by Rooney-Gregory combo. Anyone would sound good after they've been thought as a option.

Archived