New Manager

dantheram

1 minute ago, JayRam1 said:

I’m sorry but if he’s made good choices, why are we still in the championship add to that bottom of it now.

Christ - do you think he should be holding the hand of every manager that comes in here? Half of them have managed to get into the playoffs competing against teams with much greater resources - he can't do everything for them.

If it helps you out though you can just blame Keogh for everything. Not sure how you think Mel is supposed to prevent Keogh making that mistake at Wembley or Rowett pooping the bed at Fulham, but yes must all be Mel's fault. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Good spot - makes the current situation even more interesting.

The wording is confusing but how else would they be better described? Prospective new owners maybe.

However, they are investors, if this is dragons den then they are investing all the money for 100% stake in the business.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just me who thought this statement was a bit...odd?

Not known the club put out a statement of sorts to declare the hunt for a new manager is underway before...

...almost feels like, and maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but a bit of build up to something exciting? I don't know. Maybe not.

I hope so I really do

ps; I’ll get the Buffett arranged.

46 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Because we’re bottom of the Championship, that means we should turn our noses up at a high-profile, successful manager? For what it’s worth, I think it’s incredibly unrealistic but I just couldn’t understand why his appointment would be snubbed.

If he came here, he would be fully aware of the position we’re in and the job in hand. We wouldn’t expect him to be successful immediately. He went to Newcastle and took them down because of the position they were in beforehand, but he stuck around at this level and took them straight back and left in a stronger position than when he arrived. It wouldn’t guarantee success but it would be a huge positive of the ambition of the new owners and where they set their sights. The whole mood of the club would be lifted, and a positive mentality can go a long, long way.

We should aim for the best choice for us, every time we look for a manager. That may or may not be Rafa in our current situation, it’ll be hard to say definitively if he’s right or wrong for the job until he had a decent amount of time here. I just can’t get my head around people on here and social media who would reject a manager as successful as him coming to Derby County.

It all comes down to timing. Appointing Benitez at this time would be setting him up to fail, in my opinion.

Is Benitez known for dragging teams out of a rut? Is he experienced and well versed enough in Championship football? The only time he has managed in this division, the odds of him succeeding were overwhelmingly stacked in his favour.

A case of great manager, awful timing this would be.

Benitez would be the perfect appointment if we were looking to kick on and establish ourselves after promotion to the PL.

Appointing him now would look like the key people in charge have misread the brief. What we really need at the moment is a manager to come in without fanfare, without the eyeballs of the media, and do the job with a quiet efficiency.

I am sure deep in our hearts we would all love Benitez, but we are not ready for him and honestly I don’t think he is ready for us. We saw it to a great extent with Cocu. The fit is so important.

1 hour ago, Derbados said:

We need a manager who’s prepared for a scrap and a dogfight, with experience of this league and the English game. 

for me it’s Cook or Jokanovic in that order, I honestly believe Paul Cook would have us challenging next season

His record is impressive. Under the radar like Chris Wilder; his teams are very good to watch, fit and hard-working. That’s what I want to watch each week. 

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It all comes down to timing. Appointing Benitez at this time would be setting him up to fail, in my opinion.

Is Benitez known for dragging teams out of a rut? Is he experienced and well versed enough in Championship football? The only time he has managed in this division, the odds of him succeeding were overwhelmingly stacked in his favour.

A case of great manager, awful timing this would be.

Benitez would be the perfect appointment if we were looking to kick on and establish ourselves after promotion to the PL.

Appointing him now would look like the key people in charge have misread the brief. What we really need at the moment is a manager to come in without fanfare, without the eyeballs of the media, and do the job with a quiet efficiency.

I am sure deep in our hearts we would all love Benitez, but we are not ready for him and honestly I don’t think he is ready for us. We saw it to a great extent with Cocu. The fit is so important.

I have to agree. A great name on paper but the fit with us does not seem obvious.

Two main issues for me;

1. What would be his motivation for coming here? Hes been at some of the best clubs in the world. Always think when choosing a manager or buying a player, you need to recruit either 'up & coming' or 'point to prove'. Otherwise where is the drive to succeed coming from?

2. His usual style of football is not unlike Cocu's...quite passive, defensive, possession based. Quite apart from some fans wanting a more attacking style, theres also the argument that his style of football will struggle against the high intensity, high tempo opposition we face most weeks. Newcastle was different as Benitez had the best squad in the division, we don't.

Benítez has a fantastic cv and is a very good manager.

Last time in this division he won it at a canter.......however he spent around 50 million and insane amount in the Champ......yes I know he sold lots to pay for it but we don’t have those resources.

So here’s the question, given the wages he will command and the transfer kitty he will want...

a) how are we going to afford him 

b) how are we going to get past FFP?

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There was a report not too long ago that said Benitez was looking to return to Europe, to a club that could challenge for silverware.

Unless he's keen on the Brian Clough Trophy, I can only assume there's absolutely no chance.

No chance it happens but they’d have to pay him a fortune and promise him big money to spend 

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

"Cocu is too defensive"

"Cocu just sets his team up according to the opposition"

"We want Benitez"

?‍♂️

Sheesh! Do you guys watch football?

Is that the same Benitez who plays 10 defenders in a 10-0-0 formation against Manchester City?

"But he won the Champions League at Liverpool".

They were 3-0 down at half time and the players were stirred by the fans singing throughout half time and Gerrard had one of his inspirational displays.

But, hey, let's have Benitez.

I forgot another one....

"Cocu isn't animated on the touchline enough for me".

"We want Benitez".

Ah, but, in all fairness Rafa does occasionally push his glasses back up his nose if they slip down. And I have seen him look at the piece of paper he always seems to be holding.

Animated enough for yer?

?

Rafa ain't coming, why would he. He's on a small fortune earning easy money and I doubt would consider a move unless a top flight job was offer. Most our recent managers have been of a calibre of offering promise such as Paul Clement,Lampard,others just cutting their teeth the snake,or considered past their best SM.

Would be a real coup should we attract Rafa or the likes and who ever we appoint will surely give an idea of intent and future investment by the new owners.

I've found the perfect candidate.

1. Cheap

2. Extensive knowledge as a coach, including ourselves, the national team, Everton, Man Utd and Arsenal.

3. Ex player, locally born and an academy graduate to boot.

4. Has worked with some of the finest names in football, including McClaren, Moyes and Arteta.

Welcome home Steve Round.

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

There was a report not too long ago that said Benitez was looking to return to Europe, to a club that could challenge for silverware.

Unless he's keen on the Brian Clough Trophy, I can only assume there's absolutely no chance.

He can re-use his black and white Newcastle ties too.

11 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I forgot another one....

"Cocu isn't animated on the touchline enough for me".

"We want Benitez".

Ah, but, in all fairness Rafa does occasionally push his glasses back up his nose if they slip down. And I have seen him look at the piece of paper he always seems to be holding.

Animated enough for yer?

?

rafa-benitez-magic.gif

Can Cocu do this, though? 

Archived