DCFC is our church and we are it's people!

RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

My first match was the chelsea cup match replay 1968. Jam packed baseball ground behind the ossie end goal, damp and smoke swirling around from Leighs castings. The atmosphere was electrifying ,won 3 1, was hooked after that. Saw the Cloughie and Mackay days, those were the days to be a rams fan, but that first match remains in my mind. Just to say our generation were  lucky enough to see England win the world cup and the Rams glory days.

There's always one - bet you saw the Beatles in the Cavern as well :-).

I'm only joking, everyone reading this shoud be jealous as I am (even the 74,000 other posters who claim they were there that night).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my first game. I was at school in Birmingham and all my mates at Primary school were Villa fans. Steve Powell made his league debut in this game. What a team. I’ve been hooked since then, which makes our current predicament very sad. Hopefully we have bottomed out.

Onwards and upwards.

F9E5B1F0-E63C-4507-BA14-48A6882F9644.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

My first match was the chelsea cup match replay 1968. Jam packed baseball ground behind the ossie end goal, damp and smoke swirling around from Leighs castings. The atmosphere was electrifying ,won 3 1, was hooked after that. Saw the Cloughie and Mackay days, those were the days to be a rams fan, but that first match remains in my mind. Just to say our generation were  lucky enough to see England win the world cup and the Rams glory days.

You're right, that was one of the best nights ever. Little did we know what was to follow in subsequent years.

Some of my best memories are from evening games at the Baseball Ground. Saturdays were good too but we tended to leave the magic moments to midweek. Benfica, Real Madrid, it didn't matter.....?

That 13/14 season is what keeps me going as a fan. We were an absolute joy to watch, and it showed me how great football can be. Going to matches under Nigel Clough never gave me the same feeling. I was still quite young back then, so I think, had Clough stayed in charge for much longer, my interest in watching football would have probably faded away. 

So yeah, duck you McClaren, if you didn’t turn up when you did I wouldn’t be watching this utter dirge now!?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. C'mon give us your story, what renewed/began your faith! #COYR

First game was a pre-season friendly under Billy against Burton, in the Burton end (I was deemed to young to be in with the rowdy Derby fans). Giles Barnes scored a hat trick for us and Gary Rowett got a consolation for them.

My parents were kind enough to get me a season ticket for the promotion season that followed, and I've had one ever since (of course, I started paying for my own once I started earning).

I enjoyed going to home games and around one or two away games per season for the next ten years, but it wasn't something that I was obsessed with until I started going to away games more regularly when I was about 16. That's when I started meeting new people, drinking in the pubs, etc, and it took it to another level. My fondest memories are from the Rowett season, where we were storming up the league in Novermber/December. I had just turned 18 and we were going all round the country having a great time.

I kept my season ticket and regular away trips up through my first two years at university, which cost me a fortune but I don't regret it. It's moments like Leeds away in the play offs where it all becomes worth it. I think you can only truly appreciate those moments when you share them with the same people that were next to you in the bad times, like when we got trounced by Villa a month or two earlier.

I'm feeling a bit disconnected this year because of not being able to go to games, but, selfishly, the ban on crowds has come at a perfect time with me being abroad for the year. I'd really feel like I was missing out if my mates were all still going.

Looking forward to being back in the country for the 2021/22 season and able to go to games, hopefully with some better results.

I'll always keep the faith.

COYR.

Said this a few times on previous threads but it always makes me smile.

Ipswich 4-4 Steve Macs first appearance. I followed Derby Casually since moving here in the 1990’s (shock horror I had other allegiances) 

Pure chance I went to the game. .. That come back made me feel like the first time I went to a live game back in the 70’s as a teenager. Theatre, drama, passion, Skill, grit, a baying crowd. Shivers down my spine. It was an elixir and a remembrance of something I thought I’d lost with age and cynicism. .. I got it back thanks to Derby County 

There was a Nordic guy with his son sitting next to me. He’d worked at RR years ago and always made an annual pilgrimage.. it was his sons first game. In all the annual matches the Dad had never seen Derby lose .. you could see he was desperate to bring the lad on board .. and he was failing ... until .. the place lit up. Magic 

8 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Think you were lucky to be at that one.  My dad often harks back to that one and he's been going 55 years.  Even seen one of the Chelsea players noting that game and openly admitting the crowd was so intimidating their arses went.

13 hours ago, Premier ram said:

My first ever game was the infamous Derby v Leeds game , otherwise known as the British heavyweight boxing match , our Franny against Bite your legs Hunter , always destined to be a Ram after that memorable start COYR

What a match to be your first!??

Although I saw us be champions of England twice at the age of 11 and 15, the reason I will always be a Ram and worship at the altar of all things Derby is because of the cameradie of the fans during the bad times.

Its hard to imagine going from the best team in the land to see the duckers down the road have their moment of glory under the very manager who'd set us on our way. Tough times. 

We ended up dropping out the league, down to Division 3, miserable does not describe it.

One game, in 1983 ish? Chelsea at home, there was about 8,000 there, the lads around me on the Vulcan Street Popside sang their hearts out all match. We were rock bottom, yet for some reason, we sang and sang. Hairs on the back of the neck moment....there is a very special bond amongst Derby fans when you've shared such moments.

You have to live the bad times to truly appreciate the good.

Great thread @RoyMac5

I’ve been a casual supporter since 75 from afar and being a sook for cold weather I had only traveled to you fair country in your summer months so missed out on live matches. We were fortunate to live and work in London in 2014 and really enjoyed following a high flying DCFC, but our time their ended at Christmas. Sad I know but at least I took comfort knowing my team was on top of the ladder and we would meet again surely premier league bound. Well fast forward to a foggy Craven Cottage 2016 my first time in a away crowd, 2-2 result and I finally “got” what it means to be embraced by this mighty clubs supporters. May 2019 and the near impossible chance  of seeing my team at Wembley. I used to travel past this majestic ground every work day and it was always a dream to see a match there. Up at midnight and logon for my chance to score an elusive ticket but alas it was not to be. Do I take a chance and book flights, accommodation on a hope that somehow I can jag a ticket? Fook yeah! Thanks to all the people on this site that were trying to help, the miracle happened and ticket in hand the most magical couple of days in Derby and London awaited. Covent Garden, the trip out to Wembley on the tube with some fans that took me into their group, the walk up that boulevard to my seat in the clouds. Alas if only Zoon could see a unmarked Waggy streaming into the box. Worth traveling halfway around the globe? Of course. We will meet again when the world is under control.A8D65046-C91B-4902-8521-905D976B623B.thumb.jpeg.b9bf17b1b49315061a9beea6d8aeb062.jpeg

I particularly enjoyed Leeds away under Rowett in 2017, I went with a group of dirties supporters and I had to sit in the home end, the urge to celebrate wasn't quite high enough to ignore the fact that I had a bunch of West Yorkshire meat heads sat in the row behind, but I made sure to dish it all back to those Leeds fans I came with on the way home. 

Yeovil away was great. Though, whoever that Derby fan was that let rip in the middle of the crowd ensured I never chose to sit (or in this case stand)near the middle again. 

Barnsley away when we took 6,000 was amazing. Fulham 2 - 5 in the cup stands out too. I went 12 away games in a row of all wins, and now I can't remember the last time I saw us win away ?.

289579D6-EABA-4AD6-BC56-F072F19BE1B4.thumb.jpeg.0d7196b272e9e35a85d0f21bdb54051b.jpeg

One day when I was a kid my mum found me crying my eyes out. Inconsolable.

When they finally managed to find out from me what was wrong it turned out that I’d just heard that we’d sold Willie Carlin.

I’ve been carrying the cross for 50 years.

Strangely, it's a negative experience that always sticks in my mind.

When we went to the FA Cup semifinal at Hillsborough in 1976 we had a very unfortunate encounter with the Manchester United team bus and Tommy Docherty.

Arriving at precisely the wrong moment, we got caught in the crush at the side of the bus. I was struggling to breathe and at the same time trying to ensure my duffel coat remained secure as I was very aware of the Derby County scarf hidden underneath. Show those colours at that moment amidst the chanting Manchester United fans and I fear we would have been lynched! 

I ended up pushed right up against the side of the bus and Tommy Docherty was leering down at us, waving and putting his thumbs up as if everyone in the world was on his side.

Luckily the bus continued to edge on past the throngs of supporters and we quickly made our way to safer territory and into the ground. It was a miserable afternoon with a match we should have won lost through a combination of unjust refereeing decisions and Gordon Hill goals! 

I hated Tommy Docherty then and couldn't believe it when he was appointed manager - the start of a real downturn in the fortunes of the club.

Why do I mention this on a positive thread? Because if you remember those moments, you enjoy the good times when they came along all the more.

Archived