Would League 1...actually be that bad?

r_wilcockson

2 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leicester - Had a season in League 1, went on to win the Premier League

Wolves - Went down to League 1 and now a fully established Premier League Team

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

Add Blackpool and Bolton to Sunderland and Ipswich,each division is difficult to get out of i think it took Forest a few years to get back in to the Championship

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could live with League One football, personally, but I'm not sure the club would be able to. The financial restrictions in League One would make it incredibly tough for us to acclimatise and would absolutely mean the cull of a lot of players we wouldn't want to lose, i.e. Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Jozwiak...etc. It would involve a lot of busy agents trying to stop their players from falling to the third tier of English football in order to preserve their reputation. The loss of revenue, along with the loss of crowds would potentially put this club on the brink of liquidation.  

Financially there is absolutely no sense in us getting relegated and trust me the novelty would soon wear off. 

I mean no it won't be THAT bad in that it's the end of football as we know it

We have been relegated from the "Best league in the world! LIVE!!" twice and life went on. 

You can enjoy football at any level and sometimes it's nice to watch a game without all the baalocks that come with the high level crap. You can watch Arsenal Ladies play in front of 5 people and it's bliss to see no rolling around crying. 

But on a shallow level it would be terrible. We started where we are now with Paul Jewell. The journey to back here has cost a fortune and included play off finals, semi finals, club records for goals and points, perhaps the best team we've seen since Eranio and Co... all to end up where Paul Jewel left us. 

And bump! Relegation. Somehow managing to achieve to go further back than the start line. Like a 100m sprint we give ourselves 110m to run.

With a load of players over the age of 24 that nobody will pay a fair price for and a bunch of youngsters we need to keep but are our only way to get income. 

How much do you think Lawrence, Bielik and Waghorn are worth to anyone buying from League 1 Derby? 

50 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

My question would be: Would Bird, Knight, Sibley and Buchanan want to stay and could we realistically afford to keep them?

I think those four plus Bielik and Jozwiak should be the future of this club, but realistically their days at this club are numbered should we find ourselves anywhere close to relegation as they are the only players with significant value in the transfer market.

I agree with you that we would end up building the team around kids but it is more likely to be players like Whittaker, Ebosele, Shonibare, the Browns, Ibrahim, Watson, Hutchinson, Stretton and Hector-Ingram.

Players who still need time to develop and be ready for first team football and would end up being asked to run before they can walk and swim before they can paddle. It would be a massive ask for those young lads.

That’s the million dollar question I guess. 

In terms of wanting to stay, I can’t see any pushing massively for moves away. In terms of affording to keep them I guess it depends what experienced players we could shed ourselves of. We’d be reaching a point where our wage bill would be minimal. I wouldn’t say it’s a chance we want to be taking either way!

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

I’m afraid that’s fantasy 

The takeover is in danger of collapse IMO if this carries on .

Why would new buyers want League 1 

Curtains ,i still think they would buy us but i believe MM would get a greatly reduced price so if i were him i would be in this morning getting all the people in charge in the boardroom and ask every single one of them what the bloody hell is going on here.

No guarantees of bouncing back like those other teams. Would need to transfer saleable assets to make up for shortfall in TV revenue and advertising/sponsorships. Yeah I think it would be pretty bad. Not the end of the world of course (it's only football after all!) but would certainly set the clubs plans for being an established Prem team for a few years (at least!) 

2 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leicester - Had a season in League 1, went on to win the Premier League

Wolves - Went down to League 1 and now a fully established Premier League Team

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

Just stop 

league one would be a disaster 

full stop 

Ask Sunderland fans 

15 minutes ago, glyn1957 said:

Curtains ,i still think they would buy us but i believe MM would get a greatly reduced price so if i were him i would be in this morning getting all the people in charge in the boardroom and ask every single one of them what the bloody hell is going on here.

Totally agree.  If ever there was a time we he needs to tell um what’s what it’s now. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No, it could be a great reset for the club, get rid of anyone earning big money, buy good lower league players and rebuild.

Does P&S reset?  Relegation will mean Tom, Waggy, Bielik, Marriott, Holmes, and Wiz will see a significant fall in value, unless we have changed our accounting policy.  Relegation is a very dodgy option.  There is a risk that we will seel the youth in January to scrape together enough money to buy a goal scorer (who will undoubtedly get injured in the warm up of his first game.  

25 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I mean no it won't be THAT bad in that it's the end of football as we know it

We have been relegated from the "Best league in the world! LIVE!!" twice and life went on. 

You can enjoy football at any level and sometimes it's nice to watch a game without all the baalocks that come with the high level crap. You can watch Arsenal Ladies play in front of 5 people and it's bliss to see no rolling around crying. 

But on a shallow level it would be terrible. We started where we are now with Paul Jewell. The journey to back here has cost a fortune and included play off finals, semi finals, club records for goals and points, perhaps the best team we've seen since Eranio and Co... all to end up where Paul Jewel left us. 

And bump! Relegation. Somehow managing to achieve to go further back than the start line. Like a 100m sprint we give ourselves 110m to run.

With a load of players over the age of 24 that nobody will pay a fair price for and a bunch of youngsters we need to keep but are our only way to get income. 

How much do you think Lawrence, Bielik and Waghorn are worth to anyone buying from League 1 Derby? 

that is where the reset should have happened.  Consecutive relegation would have changed the tempo.  We have n=been a nearly club season after season

It’s not about dropping league in my opinion, it’s about hitting rock bottom so you ask the question of ‘what the bloody hell is exactly going on here’?

The inquisition into that should have started when Cocu went, the what went wrong and why. Then a reset is put in place. Instead we’ve meandered on a couple of extra weeks and we are staring at the very real possibility of being in a relegation scrap.

It’s up to the club as a whole, including fans, do we want to drop any lower or is this rock bottom? 

Just now, NottsRammy said:

It needs to happen and lets get the 12 points or 6 point deduction now and effectively get on with it , at least it kills the agony of hope we might pull this around . 

Bad for owner. Bad for manager. Bad for fans. Bad for finances. Bad for keeping good academy players. Bad for signing good players. Good for Florist fans unless in same boat.

9 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

It needs to happen and lets get the 12 points or 6 point deduction now and effectively get on with it , at least it kills the agony of hope we might pull this around . 

I half suspect it will be 2 points just enough to maintain a little bit of hope, barstewards

What would the team even look like in L1?

Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Bielik and Jozwiak would be gone for their sake of their careers.

Having already left one sinking ship in Wigan, as likeable and integral as they are currently, Marshall and Byrne would also find new clubs. 

Te Wierik and Shinnie would return to more familiar and comfortable pastures in the Netherlands and Scotland respectively.

Lawrence and Ibe would have to go because of their unsustainable salaries for that level and likely because they would view themselves as being too good for that level. 

Rooney, Waghorn and Wisdom would have to be released for similar reasons. Perhaps Waghorn and Wisdom would be taken down the Bradley Johnson route before being moved on.

I genuinely think we would be down to Roos, Forsyth and Davies who could all stay due to being some of our longest serving players and feeling a sense of belonging, as well as possibly Evans, Holmes and Marriott who would all be better equipped to deal with League 1 over the Championship, and of course, the youngsters.

Crikey, Harrison Solomon and Ola Ibrahim will need to be bloody good.

I'm sure similar comments were made before our inevitable slip into the third tier, but I can assure you its a deeply depressing place to play, and no guarantee you'll just jump straight back up and take that confidence into the PL. Took us, Sheff Utd, Leeds a long time to get out of League One. 

26 minutes ago, Red_Dawn said:

I'm sure similar comments were made before our inevitable slip into the third tier, but I can assure you its a deeply depressing place to play, and no guarantee you'll just jump straight back up and take that confidence into the PL. Took us, Sheff Utd, Leeds a long time to get out of League One. 

.....and they're all now much better for it... except you lot (sorry not sorry)

1 hour ago, Red_Dawn said:

This notion that dropping down to League one would be better for us long term as it will enable us to build from the ground up, is nonsense. It might end up being true, but equally we could drop right through the leagues like a Bolton for example. There are absolutely no guarantees, it's tough down in League one, just because we're Derby county doesn't mean we will come straight back up. We need to get real. It's far too much of a risk. We cannot get relegated. Something needs to change NOW to turn this around. Lose these next two games and it becomes a reality. We are heading for League one.

Archived