Would League 1...actually be that bad?

r_wilcockson

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leicester - Had a season in League 1, went on to win the Premier League

Wolves - Went down to League 1 and now a fully established Premier League Team

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

yes I wouldn't trust this club to be able to build a sandcastle let alone a team worthy of getting out of the 3rd tier of English football...we must stay up!

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No, it could be a great reset for the club, get rid of anyone earning big money, buy good lower league players and rebuild.

I’m afraid that’s fantasy 

The takeover is in danger of collapse IMO if this carries on .

Why would new buyers want League 1 

It would depend on the finances. We have a huge wage bill and enormous running costs as a club. Our income would be severely reduced and we would have to start to move in line with the £2.5m salary cap. The owner/s (whoever that is) could decide to fund things from their own pocket. We'd still have to cut costs and have a fires sale, but it's possible we could become leaner and meaner and bounce straight backup.

The owner could decide to cut everything possible to stave off the huge huge losses - I don't know the details in terms of adjustment period, but maybe the League 1 rules would even require it. The academy could be closed, every player of value sold and we could be a shell of a club, destined to spend years at that level or below.

The worst case is though, the owner could cut their losses and walk away, leaving us in administration. After a couple of months of trying to sell us, the money runs out and the doors close for good. Liquidation and the end of Derby County as a league club.

Relegation might not be that bad, but I'd really rather not take the risk because it could be catastrophic. 

The moment we start to think this is the moment we are in big trouble.

To be honest, if we went down, I’d be anticipating consecutive relegations more than anything else. The club seems that fragile right now.

On paper, we should be well placed to bounce back from a relegation like the other clubs mentioned. 

But as we’ve seen with the collapse of everything under Cocu, once the rot sets in, it sets in deep.

The financial implications for a club that is already losing eye-watering sums of money and treading a fine line with FFP/P&S would be massive.

The squad would be decimated - the very best young players would be sold off and anyone else of note would desert the ship.

Some might say that it is a good thing and a reset might be for the best, but you can never be too sure and it’s too dangerous a theory to be allowed to play out.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

It would depend on the finances. We have a huge wage bill and enormous running costs as a club. Our income would be severely reduced and we would have to start to move in line with the £2.5m salary cap. The owner/s (whoever that is) could decide to fund things from their own pocket. We'd still have to cut costs and have a fires sale, but it's possible we could become leaner and meaner and bounce straight backup.

The owner could decide to cut everything possible to stave off the huge huge losses - I don't know the details in terms of adjustment period, but maybe the League 1 rules would even require it. The academy could be closed, every player of value sold and we could be a shell of a club, destined to spend years at that level or below.

The worst case is though, the owner could cut their losses and walk away, leaving us in administration. After a couple of months of trying to sell us, the money runs out and the doors close for good. Liquidation and the end of Derby County as a league club.

Relegation might not be that bad, but I'd really rather not take the risk because it could be catastrophic. 

Ah man, back to my pit of depression I go ?

It’s not that hard to fix what’s wrong.

it should start this morning by terminating the interim managerial arrangements and firing another one who has shown he has absolutely nothing to offer.

FE5C5910-C4B7-477D-9262-44737B744E69.thumb.jpeg.17a55a81bd5bb08fd416942e97c276d1.jpeg134F7F18-EC1A-4EA1-B3AF-5BFED6051808.thumb.jpeg.177761281411bb413abaa9ba18a829ba.jpeg

There's a bit of me thinks this is the only way we will get rid of some of the senior players who I feel have been letting Derby down by coasting through games this season, but I know that the financial reality is much more complex than that. So no, I don't think it would be a good thing at all.

(Even though it would help me to tick a few more grounds off my 92!)

29 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

As you say lots of teams have dropped into the third tier, got their house in order and bounced back - even we did it in the 80s.

Assuming we'd avoid the financial ruin that others have mentioned I'd be okay with a few seasons in L1 - see a few new places, rebuild and hopefully get used to winning again!

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The moment we start to think this is the moment we are in big trouble.

To be honest, if we went down, I’d be anticipating consecutive relegations more than anything else. The club seems that fragile right now.

On paper, we should be well placed to bounce back from a relegation like the other clubs mentioned. 

But as we’ve seen with the collapse of everything under Cocu, once the rot sets in, it sets in deep.

The financial implications for a club that is already losing eye-watering sums of money and treading a fine line with FFP/P&S would be massive.

The squad would be decimated - the very best young players would be sold off and anyone else of note would desert the ship.

Some might say that it is a good thing and a reset might be for the best, but you can never be too sure and it’s too dangerous a theory to be allowed to play out.

you keep blaming Cocu .....he had to work with virtually nothing but the kids and didn't get a striker to replace Martin ( not his fault!!) he was not backed...its hardly sparkled since his departure but yeah all the squad seemed happier and were having a good laugh at training lol 

Personally, I think it would be disastrous. I get what people are saying re Wolves, Leeds and Sheff Utd but we could equally turn out to be a Portsmouth or a Coventry, although I accept the latter have now bounced back to some extent.

Elsewhere on the forum I mentioned the parallels between this season and the 83/84 season. So we would hope for further parallels with the seasons that followed.

Relegation in 84 did give us a reset. We’d just escaped the clutches of the High Court but didn’t have a pot to pee in. But we hired the no-nonsense manager in Arthur Cox and there were just nine full-time players on the books. He somehow managed to cobble a team together and led us to 7th. A Herculean achievement given our circumstances at the time. He then sold Kevin Wilson and built a side with the proceeds. The nucleus of that team that then went on to achieve a double promotion all the way back to the old First Division. Ultimately Cox led us to 5th place and we’d have qualified for Europe had it not been for the UEFA ban on English clubs. 

So it’s possible that relegation could lance the boil and provide us with a reset. But there are no guarantees and the journey back could be long and arduous. We need this takeover to go through and quickly because the longer this state of inertia continues the more likely it will be that we endure a worse situation from which we may take a generation to recover.

Archived