Would League 1...actually be that bad?

r_wilcockson

I saw Ryan Conway say something along the lines of only having 8 or so senior players contracted past 2022 so in theory we would have a bit of a blank slate to work under, but would obviously lose lots of revenue.

I look at a team like Hull down there now who have rebuilt around their young players and who will probably come up in a much better state than they went down and wonder if a season of Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan etc playing every minute and dominating games might be great for their development.

But for every Hull there is a Sunderland. It would have potential to be the reset we need but would also have the potential to go very wrong. And it does feel a bit like me just trying to feel better about how bad we are at the minute

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Even though I've thought about it, this threads an embarrassment. Other fans must be pissing themselves laughing it shows what a disgraceful situation we are now in. 

If there is one thing that is an embarrassment, it isnt this thread.

It asks a valid question based on evidence of at least 4 premier league clubs and a further 3 or 4 in the championship.

Why not start a thread of your own, ask a relevant question.

Come On Waiting GIF by Microsoft Surface

If we are allowed back in grounds by then, new grounds, some standing, more games on a Saturday at 3pm, less media hype. League one might not be that bad after all 

40 minutes ago, Curtains said:

How long are we going to say Academy players need to flourish.

It's the academy boys that are showing hunger at the moment. It's most of the others right now that need a kick up the backside.

Why Sibley hasn't been starting is baffling - he's one of the only few players that want to get the ball and cause the opposition defence to have something to think about.

Lawrence, Waghorn and Jozwiack need a good long hard look at themselves and ask why a 19 year old is doing things much better than them. 

1 minute ago, S8TY said:

you keep blaming Cocu .....he had to work with virtually nothing but the kids and didn't get a striker to replace Martin ( not his fault!!) he was not backed...its hardly sparkled since his departure but yeah all the squad seemed happier and were having a good laugh at training lol 

I don’t think it is all Cocu’s fault. But his unsuitability for the role has played a big part in our slide.

There are several people at the club that should be held accountable - Mel, Pearce, Joe McClaren, Cocu, the coaching staff, senior players like Rooney, Lawrence and Waghorn.

At the end of the day, if Cocu felt he wasn’t being backed or he was set up with an impossible job, he should have walked away. The fact that he was still very much in charge three weeks ago tells me he believed he was the man for the job and it was a good fit for him and he didn’t object to his working conditions.

Mel is the man who will carry the lion’s share of the blame. He is responsible for not seeing the signs quickly enough and realising Cocu wasn’t right for this particular job. Mel is also responsible for not having the necessary contingency plans in place and letting the situation grow further and further out of control.

It would be tough. I don’t agree we would necessarily go straight through to League 2, not many clubs of our stature have done that before.

It would have to be a re-set as we’d have to comply with a £2.5m salary cap. We would have no choice but to get rid of high earners so the likes of Lawrence Waghorn Marriott Wisdom would need to go. We might need to sell some of our youngsters.

But if we could convince Curtis, Shinnie, Byrne, Marshall to stick around, try and keep some of our good youngsters, we could do ok and it could be a good grounding for our youngsters to go on and have stellar careers, hopefully with us.

No guarantees we would come straight back, it could take a few years, but you’re not telling me we’re in any more of a mess than Hull were last season and look at them now.

16 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If there is one thing that is an embarrassment, it isnt this thread.

It asks a valid question based on evidence of at least 4 premier league clubs and a further 3 or 4 in the championship.

Why not start a thread of your own, ask a relevant question.

Come On Waiting GIF by Microsoft Surface

Yes it's a valid question that I've thought about, buts it's also a pathetic one to be thinking about in November. We are in a very bad spot, but talking about an inevitable relegation in November is just embarrassing abit like the team I suppose. We still have hope yet, just have to win against Wycombe and go from there, it will be tough but hopefully Roseniors words are more than just BS and it really was a turning point. Every club has its own unique circumstances so comparing us to wolves is no good, may as well compare us to La Galaxy. Personally think its not even worth considering it would be that bad if we go down. 

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It would have to be a re-set as we’d have to comply with a £2.5m salary cap. We would have no choice but to get rid of high earners so the likes of Lawrence Waghorn Marriott Wisdom would need to go. We might need to sell some of our youngsters.

I'm pretty sure that I read that players contracted to relegated teams would have a salary cap figure of £100k per year regardless of their actual salary (until their contract expires that is).

Just now, Carnero said:

I'm pretty sure that I read that players contracted to relegated teams would have a salary cap figure of £100k per year regardless of their actual salary (until their contract expires that is).

Wow really? Can they legally enforce that? Would the rest have to be a deferral paid upon promotion back to the championship?

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Wow really? Can they legally enforce that? Would the rest have to be a deferral paid upon promotion back to the championship?

They would be paid their full salary but that salary would only count as £100k towards the salary cap.

1 hour ago, r_wilcockson said:

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leicester - Had a season in League 1, went on to win the Premier League

Wolves - Went down to League 1 and now a fully established Premier League Team

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

Ha, I woke up this morning compelled to start this thread and it was already here!

Add Brighton, Southampton to that list, and you could even argue that Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Norwich, Stoke have all had a better time of it bouncing up and down leagues. As mentioned though there's a huge risk - Coventry, Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth as fairly recent examples.

18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I saw Ryan Conway say something along the lines of only having 8 or so senior players contracted past 2022 so in theory we would have a bit of a blank slate to work under, but would obviously lose lots of revenue.

I look at a team like Hull down there now who have rebuilt around their young players and who will probably come up in a much better state than they went down and wonder if a season of Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan etc playing every minute and dominating games might be great for their development.

But for every Hull there is a Sunderland. It would have potential to be the reset we need but would also have the potential to go very wrong. And it does feel a bit like me just trying to feel better about how bad we are at the minute

My question would be: Would Bird, Knight, Sibley and Buchanan want to stay and could we realistically afford to keep them?

I think those four plus Bielik and Jozwiak should be the future of this club, but realistically their days at this club are numbered should we find ourselves anywhere close to relegation as they are the only players with significant value in the transfer market.

I agree with you that we would end up building the team around kids but it is more likely to be players like Whittaker, Ebosele, Shonibare, the Browns, Ibrahim, Watson, Hutchinson, Stretton and Hector-Ingram.

Players who still need time to develop and be ready for first team football and would end up being asked to run before they can walk and swim before they can paddle. It would be a massive ask for those young lads.

1 minute ago, Taribo said:

Ha, I woke up this morning compelled to start this thread and it was already here!

Add Brighton, Southampton to that list, and you could even argue that Bournemouth, Huddersfield, Norwich, Stoke have all had a better time of it bouncing up and down leagues. As mentioned though there's a huge risk - Coventry, Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth as fairly recent examples.

Had a very restless night last night due to the footy and felt I had to try my best to see some light at the end of this long, dark tunnel. 

28 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

At the end of the day, if Cocu felt he wasn’t being backed or he was set up with an impossible job, he should have walked away.

Maybe he did. Left by mutual consent, remember.

Mel had said before that the pressure that Cocu felt came from himself.

34 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Yes it's a valid question that I've thought about, buts it's also a pathetic one to be thinking about in November. We are in a very bad spot, but talking about an inevitable relegation in November is just embarrassing abit like the team I suppose. We still have hope yet, just have to win against Wycombe and go from there, it will be tough but hopefully Roseniors words are more than just BS and it really was a turning point. Every club has its own unique circumstances so comparing us to wolves is no good, may as well compare us to La Galaxy. Personally think its not even worth considering it would be that bad if we go down. 

You've changed your tune, it was only a few weeks ago that you had said we were going down, to which I reminded you that there were 35 games still left to play (v Barnsley thread). no idea idk GIF 

37 minutes ago, Taribo said:

Add florist to that list too

Archived