Would League 1...actually be that bad?

r_wilcockson

On 26/11/2020 at 07:53, r_wilcockson said:

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich.

Portsmouth, Hull, Wigan, Blackpool and Charlton ... also all mired with Sunderland and Ipswich

I bet their fans love being in League 1, those big glory days out to Swindon and Gillingham - something to tell the grand kids

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I think our wage bill is about 14 million.

The wage cap of 2.5 million would he a fairly big problem.

It would be nice if it gave some of our overpaid and underperforming "stars" something to think about.

But I'm not holding my breath.

£14M, even Boris would get better value spaffing that up the wall.

it would be a disaster to go down because we would be the first club to go down with financial burdens under the new salary cap system so we could be the main example of how bad/good the system is and could be terrible for us showing a flawed system.

if we go down, we cannot sign any new players, we are stuck with what they have got until that wage bill goes down. it could be an absolute disaster.

we fail to go up first few times of asking and the new owner gets bored with the restrictions, we must not go down

Outside of the elite, the majority of clubs go through periods of boom & bust. I'd rather we avoided the scenario re: relegation, but it would mean adopting a much more pragmatic approach in the absence of finance/salary caps. I think we have actually come full circle after Clough where fans tired of the blue-print of the slow build. Restricted finances meant we had to be shrewd in the market, bought one 'marquee' signing a season, & had to develop our own players.

Cash diluted many of the good things, it is about getting a balance, which is hard to do. It's not the first time, the club has had finances, only to spend them badly. 

(1) Pickering, Cox's flops in the early 90s and then the £20m splurge to avoid relegation from the PL in the early 2000s. I feel more sorry here for LP because he tried to please the fans & back his manager. It wasn't a case of chasing gimmicks.

(2) The LoG/2006 takeover after Jeremy Keith/crippling ABC loan. It was here that the club maybe ought to have considered stabilizing but we chased the PL dream, appointed an ambitious manager just as short-term, if not more so than Rowett, and weren't able to follow it through. Half the promotion payment went on paying previous debts. 

(3) The present situation, well-documented already

If we get relegated, it would mean cutting the wage-bill. Promotion is not guaranteed as seen by how long it took the likes of Leeds etc to get back, & Ipswich, with an owner who has reduced his commitment, act as a warning. However, Derby would be one of the biggest sides in the division and able to cherry-pick the best young talent (i.e., Ben Whiteman/Doncaster) and an attractive destination for players, including those who may have had to drop down divisions and see us as the next step in their career (hunger, ambition). Fans obviously aren't allowed in for the foreseeable, but our average attendance, vis Sunderland, is huge in comparison to the rest of the division (below 10k). Unfortunately, that brings its own pressure as sides raise their game in what becomes a cup-final. 

Some of the signings that may be brought in could be underwhelming, but they will be players who will do a job & be proven at that level (character, leaders). Over the past five years or so, we've spent big & bought underperforming players who haven't justified that outlay. So it will mean a change of emphasis. The football may have to be effective rather than expansive on occasion, about getting the job done,. The passion & fight exhibited by some of the more experienced heads will make them folk heroes and they will allow the younger players to play their natural game (Bird). The Academy will be vital.

It will take time, could be frustrating, but if the worst happens, we will regroup. It might be a case of some further humiliations along the way, but eventually the size of the club, its resources, everything being relative (compared to L1) will tell and means it should make a quick recovery. Much depends on the new owner. We've been relatively successful even against a background of financial instability (Burley, play-offs & Three Amigos). Hull are under the Allams but seem to have regrouped after a disastrous 2nd half last season.

I'm not saying I welcome it, not at all, or trying to be over-optimistic. More of a pragmatist, really.  We're not done, after 13 games, sides have stayed up with our current record including Forest. 

If it happens, then it is out of our hands. We will adapt & adjust & eventually get it right again after a period of so many mistakes. It is the cycle of boom & bust that this club seems to go through periodically.

On 26/11/2020 at 07:53, r_wilcockson said:

Ok, bear with me here as I may be trying to scrape the barrel a bit in terms of any remaining positivity....

We've been stuck in this league for 13 years now, and after multiple failed bids at promotion recently, it feels like we are almost back where we started. Could it take us to potentially drop down a league to build a decent, hardworking team which we can all get behind again to benefit us in the long run? 

Leicester - Had a season in League 1, went on to win the Premier League

Wolves - Went down to League 1 and now a fully established Premier League Team

Leeds - Went down to League 1 and are now in the prem (and I can see them staying there as much as it pains me)

Sheffield United - Built a really hard working team in League One and carried this through to the prem.

I know that for every one of these there's also a Sunderland and Ipswich. We all want the club to be the best it can be, but maybe we need this step back to get us away from the current circus and rebuild?

Potentially watching a lot of our own academy players flourish, getting some football identity back, new grounds, we might even score a goal.... Would it all be that bad?

League 1 has a wage cap for all new signings of £2.5k a week. Would certainly sort out all the ffp issues

On 27/11/2020 at 12:16, Carnero said:

20201127_121603.jpg

That’s absolutely shocking for clubs at that level and their ability to compete and retain players. How can anyone think it’s a good idea? The three promoted teams last season all struggled to compete and retain players. This season is showing the same with all three promoted clubs in the bottom six alongside ourselves and Forest (basket case clubs) and Wednesday (point dedication). 

On 27/11/2020 at 12:24, wollatonram said:

it would be a disaster to go down because we would be the first club to go down with financial burdens under the new salary cap system so we could be the main example of how bad/good the system is and could be terrible for us showing a flawed system.

if we go down, we cannot sign any new players, we are stuck with what they have got until that wage bill goes down. it could be an absolute disaster.

we fail to go up first few times of asking and the new owner gets bored with the restrictions, we must not go down

I don't think your second paragraph is strictly correct is it? For the purposes of this cap, The salaries of our current squad would only be counted at the league 1 average (£1700 pw I believe) not their actual salary until their contract expires. So, we could sign new players provided their salary plus £1700 per week for every existing player we already have doesn't take us over the total salary maximum. That's how I read it anyway. 

Archived