January 2021 transfer thread

B4ev6is

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven’t seen one of these so apologies if it’s a repeated one. 
First time in a where it’s more difficult to bring a player in. 
obviously we need a striker and I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get one in early door. 
Secondly we need another CB, would be amazing if we could get Phil Jones in, he’d take us up a level and would be coming at a great age for a CB. 
After that and I’m looking at Shinnie, he’s good at the moment for us but he lad I some quality in the ball. 

This should be a very quiet window with only a CB and a CF coming in. Most likely loans, unless we go in for someone like Dursun. Ideally, any loans will be with a view to a permanent deal in the summer as those are the two positions we will need heavily replacing.

It's going to be another of those where it's more important getting players out (loan/permanent): Marriott, te Wierik, JML, Trialist, etc

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This should be a very quiet window with only a CB and a CF coming in. Most likely loans, unless we go in for someone like Dursun. Ideally, any loans will be with a view to a permanent deal in the summer as those are the two positions we will need heavily replacing.

It's going to be another of those where it's more important getting players out (loan/permanent): Marriott, te Wierik, JML, Trialist, etc

I have a feeling Wayne Rooney would disagree with that.

However, I also cant imagine us spending big in Jan, this season will be about just staying up and assuming the takeover happens and the new owners mean business, the fun and games will start in the summer.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Wouldn't mind Gilmour on loan from Chelski

Why? The midfield options we have are more than good enough for us to avoid relegation, and top 6 is a bit too much of a stretch no matter who we sign. There's no chance we get to keep him, so why develop a player for someone else when we can improve our own players in readiness for next season?

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why? The midfield options we have are more than good enough for us to avoid relegation, and top 6 is a bit too much of a stretch no matter who we sign. There's no chance we get to keep him, so why develop a player for someone else when we can improve our own players in readiness for next season?

Because he would improve our team. We have settled on 3 good or decent midfielders. We are one injury away from weakening that midfield. As the season continues we need to rotate. CM isn't our top priority but is our third priority. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Because he would improve our team. We have settled on 3 good or decent midfielders. We are one injury away from weakening that midfield. As the season continues we need to rotate. CM isn't our top priority but is our third priority. 

He might improve the team for this season, but at a detriment to next season. 
I assume your 3 is Bielik, Shinnie, Knight? Bird, Holmes and Sibley - all good enough as backups, and all have shown at times that they are good enough to be starters.

Considering 21st is as good as 7th in this league, why splash out on a loan signing (fee and wages) who must play every game when it would be of zero benefit to the club beyond this season, and very little benefit this season anyway?

For this transfer window, i'd put CM at 5th priority: CF > CB > RB > LB > CM > GK > RW > LW

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't go with this "why develop a player for someone else" view. If one loan of real quality can play a huge part in avoiding relegation (e.g. Leon Osman) or make that vital difference between finishing 6th or 10th) then I'm all for it. From what I've seen of Gilmour when playing in the Chelsea senior team, he has that something special and is well ahead of any of our young players who have emerged from the academy, good though they have been.

What does annoy is bringing in very average loans such as Paterson and Dowell which was the case last season.

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I don't go with this "why develop a player for someone else" view. If one loan of real quality can play a huge part in avoiding relegation (e.g. Leon Osman) or make that vital difference between finishing 6th or 10th) then I'm all for it. From what I've seen of Gilmour when playing in the Chelsea senior team, he has that something special and is well ahead of any of our young players who have emerged from the academy, good though they have been.

What does annoy is bringing in very average loans such as Paterson and Dowell which was the case last season.

I'm not denying that he could improve our team. If we could have him for a full season, I'm sure he would help us finish in the top 6. What I do doubt is him coming in being the difference between where we would finish and us sneaking in at 6th place. We'd need to be the top side for half of the season to sneak in at 6th on the final day. In terms of points per game, we'd need to be as good as Leeds were last season, when they won the league. Is Gilmour so good, that we suddenly become that side?
Meanwhile, I am absolutely certain that we have the players already at the club who can help us avoid relegation.

Archived