Bristol City v Derby County: Matchday Thread (A)

Ghost of Clough

7 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Play the old mxlaren style. 433. 

Marshall

byrne.           Davies.       Clarke.   Buchanan 

Bielik

Knight.           Sibley(more of an attacking threat that shinnie. Though shinnie had been brilliant)

jozwiak.               Waggy.           HolmeS ( only because I think Lawrence and ibe aren’t available) 

I still look at that line up and question where the goals are going to come from. 

Also, Holmes just runs around. Surely Whittaker, Stretton and JHI are better attacking options? 

Even Colin from the start would be worth a go. At least he's a target for a well placed cross. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I still look at that line up and question where the goals are going to come from. 

Also, Holmes just runs around. Surely Whittaker, Stretton and JHI are better attacking options? 

Even Colin from the start would be worth a go. At least he's a target for a well placed cross. 

I would like to see what Colin has, even if for a half. The Cameo's have shown promise and at least a bit of passion. He will be one who wants to prove something at least

Update with news of an extra 2 subs:

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bielik

Knight   Bird

Sibley   Waghorn   Jozwiak

Subs: Roos, te Wierik, Davies, Fozzy, Shinnie, Holmes, Whittaker, Kazim, Rooney

If Rooney's serious about being our next manager, he should bench himself. Ibe to take his place on the bench.

Lawrence injured(?), Evans the spare man in case someone pulls out at the last minute.

3 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Agree with the previous poster,and if the game goes ahead its time for Ibe to get a run out,surely he has lost enough weight now to be able to run up and down a football pitch,if not whats the use of buying him.

That's assuming his issues are physical. 

He will be played when he's ready. 

I'm really excited at the prospect but also want him to feel comfortable on his return. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Update with news of an extra 2 subs:

Marshall

Byrne   Wisdom   Clarke   Buchanan

Bielik

Knight   Bird

Sibley   Waghorn   Jozwiak

Subs: Roos, te Wierik, Davies, Fozzy, Shinnie, Holmes, Whittaker, Kazim, Rooney

If Rooney's serious about being our next manager, he should bench himself. Ibe to take his place on the bench.

Lawrence injured(?), Evans the spare man in case someone pulls out at the last minute.

That's more or less what I'd be going for if Lawrence is out.

The one position I'm not sure on would be who partners Clarke. I think we need to pick someone and give them a fair crack for a good run of games. I also think we need to move past Davies, particularly in a two, playing him makes it very difficult to play a high line and get the ball moving quickly and accurately out of defence.

For me that leaves essentially 3 contenders: Wisdom, Te Wieirik and Bielik.

Wisdom - Gives the back line a dash of pace, making a high line more manageable, is good on the ball and can carry the ball out well. Also made a decent partner for Clarke in the second half of last season and his injury had a major part in our derailment. Downside is he's probably the poorest in the air and hasn't looked completely fit this season.

Te Wieirk - Mobile, good in possesion, has the most experience of the three and all of it at a high level. Was scouted out as being the first choice and hasn't really had a proper crack this season to date. Downside is he's looked a bit suscpetible to a high ball and has had teething pains in getting used to the championship, whether he can overcome that with time and an established partner remains to be seen.

Bielik - Physically the most dominant player I think we have at the club and excellent on the ball. Isn't the quickest though and is prone to a bit of rashness. Also might be put to better use in midfield.

Personally I think long term that our best midfield is likely Bird, Knight, Sibley and I also think that long term, CB is the position that will ultimately be Bielik's strongest. However for now, especially with no Lawrence or Ibe (assuming he's not fit to start), it makes sense to sure up the midfield a touch more as we shift to something more dynamic (hopefully). The team laid out does allow for a dynamic shift between a 433 and 343 meaning which gives the advantage of being more fluid tactically.

Which is a long way of saying yeah I'd go with that too (with perhaps stretton and Ibe on the bench). 

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's more or less what I'd be going for if Lawrence is out.

The one position I'm not sure on would be who partners Clarke. I think we need to pick someone and give them a fair crack for a good run of games. I also think we need to move past Davies, particularly in a two, playing him makes it very difficult to play a high line and get the ball moving quickly and accurately out of defence.

For me that leaves essentially 3 contenders: Wisdom, Te Wieirik and Bielik.

Wisdom - Gives the back line a dash of pace, making a high line more manageable, is good on the ball and can carry the ball out well. Also made a decent partner for Clarke in the second half of last season and his injury had a major part in our derailment. Downside is he's probably the poorest in the air and hasn't looked completely fit this season.

Te Wieirk - Mobile, good in possesion, has the most experience of the three and all of it at a high level. Was scouted out as being the first choice and hasn't really had a proper crack this season to date. Downside is he's looked a bit suscpetible to a high ball and has had teething pains in getting used to the championship, whether he can overcome that with time and an established partner remains to be seen.

Bielik - Physically the most dominant player I think we have at the club and excellent on the ball. Isn't the quickest though and is prone to a bit of rashness. Also might be put to better use in midfield.

Personally I think long term that our best midfield is likely Bird, Knight, Sibley and I also think that long term, CB is the position that will ultimately be Bielik's strongest. However for now, especially with no Lawrence or Ibe (assuming he's not fit to start), it makes sense to sure up the midfield a touch more as we shift to something more dynamic (hopefully). The team laid out does allow for a dynamic shift between a 433 and 343 meaning which gives the advantage of being more fluid tactically.

Which is a long way of saying yeah I'd go with that too (with perhaps stretton and Ibe on the bench). 

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, although I'd add Evans as another contender. Although, he's also pretty weak in the air and get's caught out with teams playing round him. He, Wisdom and te Wierik all need a solid run of games to get up to speed. I think Wisdom's the best option short term, but te Wierik in probably from around Christmas.

Bielik adds so much more balance to the midfield, which is why I think we'd be better off with him playing there. I don't see him being a CB (in a back 4) in the long term either, as he doesn't seem to be strict enough with his defensive positioning. He's ideal in a back 3/5 though.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I agree with pretty much everything you've said, although I'd add Evans as another contender. Although, he's also pretty weak in the air and get's caught out with teams playing round him. He, Wisdom and te Wierik all need a solid run of games to get up to speed. I think Wisdom's the best option short term, but te Wierik in probably from around Christmas.

Bielik adds so much more balance to the midfield, which is why I think we'd be better off with him playing there. I don't see him being a CB (in a back 4) in the long term either, as he doesn't seem to be strict enough with his defensive positioning. He's ideal in a back 3/5 though.

The reason I didn't mention Evans was specifically because I don't think he has a distinct advantage over any of those three and that both on and off the ball he tends to be a very passive player. With Bielik, Te Wieirk and Wisdom I can see strong reasons to give them a chance despite the weaker elements of their game where I just don't see it with Evans.

Can definately see the appeal of him in midfield and it's highly likely his best position for now but I am admittedly starting with the bias of trying to build the team around the players with the highest potential and trying to balance it from their i.e. getting Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Jozwiak and Ibe all in the same side. I get that the team with the best players isn't always the best team but I do feel there is room for them all especially given that RCB seems to be something of dilemna. Bielik to me has all the raw attributes of a top ball playing centre back and if he can iron out the positioning issues (which does tend to come with time with CBs) then I think he will flourish there.

I’d like to see Colin given a go. After that I don’t have much to add because it’s tricky to know what the balance is going to be with varying form and injuries. I still think Holmes has a roll, of any player we have he never gives up and thinks forward. Yet Knight improves with every game and Sibbo needs more games for his development. Marshall and Joz are the only names preselected

Who wants to bet the takeover announcement is Saturday Morning, with Mel and someone from the new set up appearing on RAMSTV matchday to show what good buddies they all are and wax lyrical about how awesome the new regime is going to be.

New manager announcement will be kept under wraps so they can milk the Rooney/manager  angle.

Marshall

Byrne       Te Wierik    Clarke        Buchanan

Bielik          

Knight               Shinnie            

Joswiak                                      Ibe

Kazim

Roos / Wisdom / Davies / Bird / Sibley / Rooney / Holmes / Lawrence / Waghorn / 

Can't find a place even on an elongated bench for Whittaker, Hector-Ingram, Stretton or Duncan. Can we have 13 subs?

Archived