Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said the other day I just need to know one thing from this guy - "Why Derby?"

So looks like he tried Liverpool and didn't have the cash. Tried Newcastle and didn't have the cash. Desperate to own a football club, he has decided to drop to the Championship and we are one of the few that are for sale.

On some level I can take that explanation. But is that good enough? He wanted a club and we were in the shop window, so he bought us? Does that indicate he knows what he is buying, or that he realises what the club is about?

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

And dcfc don’t own the stadium that was the point of the arrangement which gave us enough money to avoid p/s penalty or are you saying it was a sham

Not sure how you think l might be suggesting the transfer was a sham. It became an absolute necessity because of bad financial governance of the club’s finances over a number of years.

Maybe because they were 

a, Because were available.

b. Because were Affordable (to him)

c. Have the Potential to grow and develop (according hiim/and advisers thus increasing the value of his investment).

d. wants to play at being an owner like his Cousin/relative.

e. Just to get publicity  for himself.

f. he's genuinely nice man coming to rescue us?

Take your pick/ or none of the above

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I thought that Mel had sprung for £24 million on the Academy. May be wrong. Mel has not developed any players. The staff is doing that but we are attracting players from other academies now including two from WHUtd

That's probably in the ball park Rampage. 

I should also point out that his academy spending is over and above the losses that count towards P&S in the accounts, as it's disregarded for such purposes.

I'm just saying there's an extra £4m investment each year, over and above the baseline loss, that we won't know is worthwhile for some time to come, and there's no guarantee any new owner will take the same decision to carry on in the same manner.

If the investment carries on for another 5 years, then we'll find out if it was worth it, not now.

33 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I assume it's the extra coaching time, better qualified and therefore more expensive coaches, and access to better facilities that cost the extra money. 

Possibly extra contact time with the players leads to extra costs in regards to education etc?

I do know there's no set minimum spend, but it's unlikely you'll be granted Cat 1 status without spending more money.

Oddly there is a minimum spend, or at least there was in 2013 when the system was first introduced. Cat 1  academies had a minimum operational budget of £2.5m. Maybe it's been altered since. There is also a requirement for a minimum of the equivalent of 18 full time coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

Had not seen that he is definitely keeping the Stadium. Has this been confirmed seeing as not signed yet. You cannot get more money for a player than a Club will offer. Hughes could not get in the team when we sold him which was not Mel's fault. Only one Club made an offer. We needed the money. How is it Mel's fault. If you are struggling for cash you have to balance the books. Mel paid for the Academy and pays the staff. FFP - never did understand it, so no comment. He bought the Stadium for £80 million. He put £100 million of his own money in the Club. He is a businessman not a charity. We got good money for Hendrick and Lowe in my opinion. We could not sell Hughes at the peak of his powers. Bogle has got to prove himself in the Premiership yet. He may be a £60 million player at some point or he may not. Not every player makes the transition. All a matter of opinion. Mel is a Derby fan through and through. If I had his money I would not have risked it like he did, would you, bielaram.

Again lots of truths. But he’s got us into the poo. How is that good ownership. He isn’t a charity he’s supposed to be a businessman but gambled the clubs finances by over spending. He spaffed millions instead of creating a plan. He had to sell because we were struggling for cash - his fault, as the owner. Yes, if in 2014 I’d have had his money I’d have bought the club. But I would have set a fixed budget and done the thing I can’t recall him ever really doing.....increasing our income. This is the businessman who gave the ipro money back.......??‍♂️??‍♂️
nice guy, bad owner? That’s indisputable surely? Are we in the prem? Are we financially secure? Nope. 

56 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Not sure how you think l might be suggesting the transfer was a sham. It became an absolute necessity because of bad financial governance of the club’s finances over a number of years.

The point is dcfc do not own pp.  it is not necessarily part of the deal

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190822005737/en/Bin-Zayed-Groups-global-oil-chain-and-BBOSS-reached-a-strategic-cooperation

Love this line!

Recently, Top investment master in the world, Prince of Abu Dhabi, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Bin Zayed Group, His Excellency Sheikh Khaled Bing Zayed Al Nahyan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund, chaired the “Global refueling chain OPC Strategic Cooperation Seminar” in Bangkok, Thailand.

Quite apart from the over-the-top introduction, if he really was "top investment master in the world" and a prince and chairman of the Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund, would he really be spending his time chairing a "global refuelling chain" seminar?

5 minutes ago, Spanish said:

The point is dcfc do not own pp.  it is not necessarily part of the deal

They have a long leasehold on the ground.

I dont know the terms but MM said that various covenants had been out in to protect the club.

Although if I'm honest, I stopped paying much attention to what MM said about 2 years ago.

7 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190822005737/en/Bin-Zayed-Groups-global-oil-chain-and-BBOSS-reached-a-strategic-cooperation

Love this line!

Recently, Top investment master in the world, Prince of Abu Dhabi, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Bin Zayed Group, His Excellency Sheikh Khaled Bing Zayed Al Nahyan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund, chaired the “Global refueling chain OPC Strategic Cooperation Seminar” in Bangkok, Thailand.

Quite apart from the over-the-top introduction, if he really was "top investment master in the world" and a prince and chairman of the Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund, would he really be spending his time chairing a "global refuelling chain" seminar?

Well, he’s trying to buy us, so he’s clearly not top investment master in the world ?

17 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Love this line!

Or buying Derby County?

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Bogle came to us as a transfer past his 16th birthday, so again you couldn't say he was forged in Derby, more a successful recruitment. 

I'm probably in the halfway house between the Morris lovers and Morris haters.

I will say that the investment in the academy and emphasis on the pathway to the first team probably helps us in convincing the likes of Bogle, Hector-Ingram, Duncan, etc, to come here. I have no idea whether the investment in the academy will yield a profit in the long run (which is surely the ultimate aim), but I'd confidently say it's made us more attractive to good young players.

My gut tells me the Brentford model makes the most financial sense for a club in this league (and with aspirations of going higher), but it would be a wrench to cast the academy aside.

24 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm probably in the halfway house between the Morris lovers and Morris haters.

I will say that the investment in the academy and emphasis on the pathway to the first team probably helps us in convincing the likes of Bogle, Hector-Ingram, Duncan, etc, to come here. I have no idea whether the investment in the academy will yield a profit in the long run (which is surely the ultimate aim), but I'd confidently say it's made us more attractive to good young players.

My gut tells me the Brentford model makes the most financial sense for a club in this league (and with aspirations of going higher), but it would be a wrench to cast the academy aside.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying his investment in the academy is right or wrong, just that it's too early to say whether it's successful or not, so can't be used as either a stick to beat Mel with, or a positive of his time. 

I'd hope towards the latter, but it's too early to say with any certainty.

Archived