Abu Derby County

tinman

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

still not getting this doom and gloom. If the deal fails, MM owns damaged goods. So do we think MM would have agreed to an announcement without checking the petrodollars are under the mattress?  

I think when you want to sell something, don't want to lose any more money on it (literally millions of pounds more) and have had previous attempts to sell it fall through, then in order to get it off hour hands you might just start to lessen your demands, maybe overlook a few things and be a bit more amenable to changes to certain conditions of sale you'd previously been adamant you weren't going to budge on.

You still want to do "what's best" but options are slim on the ground and time's running out, so what do you do?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Well going off derbys definition of 'very soon', next time missus rings me to ask when I'm coming home from the pub on a Friday night and I say "very soon", I know she cant say nothing when I rock up Tuesday morning.

You are Ron Atkinson and I claim my £5.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

I think when you want to sell something, don't want to lose any more money on it (literally millions of pounds more) and have had previous attempts to sell it fall through, then in order to get it off hour hands you might just start to lessen your demands, maybe overlook a few things and be a bit more amenable to changes to certain conditions of sale you'd previously been adamant you weren't going to budge on.

You still want to do "what's best" but options are slim on the ground and time's running out, so what do you do?

Before anything, make sure you see the colour of their money.

19 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

The nervousness starting to infiltrate us all is borne from the wording in the Club statement issued last Friday; 'the transaction is expected to close very soon'

While 'very soon' is open to anyone's interpretation, I think most people have fairly honestly assumed that meant within a few days - and we are getting towards that end of that kind of time frame.

I wonder what is shortest, 'very soon' or 'next 48 hours or so'?

I don’t think the majority of fans would be expecting any announcement soon, say this week, if it wasn’t for the “holding statement” put out by the club. I don’t understand the purpose of the statement, all it does is put the fans in this position. If the intention was to hope clarify things then it’s failed miserably. 

2 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I don’t think the majority of fans would be expecting any announcement soon, say this week, if it wasn’t for the “holding statement” put out by the club. I don’t understand the purpose of the statement, all it does is put the fans in this position. If the intention was to hope clarify things then it’s failed miserably. 

I do struggle with the patience levels of some of our fans....it was made public that the EFL had appproved the takeover by the new owner - would you rather the club had said nothing or that they issue a statement saying things were progressing? Imagine the outcry if they'd kept quiet...

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

I reckon this will fall through we will be stuck with Mel who will keep Cocu as manager as he can't afford to sack him and it's league 1 here we come and maybe a Bolton Wanderes the prospect is that scary. 

When you sack a manager, you are not obliged to pay him off immediately. You can just as easily keep paying him monthly salary as per his contract. Effectively Garden Leave. So in essence, sacking him will cost no more than you’re currently spending. 

Funding a new manager may be the issue, so promoting from within could be the outcome 

22 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Look guys, nothing to be really concerned here. He isn’t daft and clearly is worth a bob or two - the fact that he bid 2m for Liverpool proves this. He will have access to many gigamillions of pounds that he can dispose of as he pleases. 

Just pop round and ask the fecker if Morris is stalling.

41 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I do struggle with the patience levels of some of our fans....it was made public that the EFL had appproved the takeover by the new owner - would you rather the club had said nothing or that they issue a statement saying things were progressing? Imagine the outcry if they'd kept quiet...

Yes, I would have preferred them to say nothing. Can’t see an outcry if they say nothing. It’s what I’d expect and I imagine it’s what most would expect. I’m also not demanding that something happen right now as these things take time. I’m simply commenting that this demand for updates from fans will be, in part, due to the statement put out for the club. I think it did more harm than good in terms of managing expectations on what will happen and how soon. 

Can’t imagine that the deal would fall through, the fact the club put out a statement saying it was close makes me think it is probably done. There’s no reason why they would open themselves up for the criticism if it did fall through, they would be better off saying nothing and then if things didn’t happen then they could say it was all rumours and speculation and never got that far down the line?!

Archived