If Waghorn plays do we need Rooney?

Poynton ram

6 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Rooney is still a class act, he always takes time to reach full match fitness, he still has a massive part to play, we may drop our 3 at the back and go more 4,3,3, with Rooney in front of Shinnie and Knight or Bielik, and behind Waghorn, so a team of 

Marshall

Bryne.       Davis.     Clarke.  Buchann

Bielik.          Shinnie

Rooney

Lawrence.       Waghorn.        Kamil 

With Wisdom, Knight, bird, Holmes Ibe, giving great competition for those in front of them. That looks a top 6 champ team to me. 

Drop Knight...really?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Rooney is still a class act, he always takes time to reach full match fitness, he still has a massive part to play, we may drop our 3 at the back and go more 4,3,3, with Rooney in front of Shinnie and Knight or Bielik, and behind Waghorn, so a team of 

Marshall

Bielik.          Shinnie

Rooney

With Wisdom, Knight, bird, Holmes Ibe, giving great competition for those in front of them. That looks a top 6 champ team to me. 

I think we have ample evidence at this point about Rooney being ineffective played at #10.

Hard to see where you fit Rooney in.

In midfield he can only play that quarter back style roll which means we are carrying him and it unbalances us whilst we hope he can maybe deliver the odd killer pass

Attacking midfield he doesn’t have the mobility.

Striker is the only position I see for him at present if him and Waggy could share that role. Waggy the mobile hold up man and Rooney the intelligent more Martinesque style could work well.

The worry is Rooney’s contract forcing Cocus hand to the detriment of the team!

Not sure if I am subconsciously annoyed by certain media reports this last week or so but I found myself thinking that I am really looking forward to him not being here anymore and not feeling like he always has to be playing when fit.

But I think that does a massive disservice to him. Last season he was absolutely key and it felt like his influence was slowly starting to grow this season. Fergie used to say it would take him a few games to get going which makes his current lay off very frustrating. Two of Lawrence / Waghorn / Jozwiak / Ibe etc etc all buzzing around off him would be excellent I think, but we have too much depth in midfield for him to play there now.

No doubting he is a great player and a good influence. It's going to be tricky fitting him in, though.

One thing that I do like when he is absent is that players have to create for themselves instead of giving the ball straight to Rooney. Not his fault, but it feels like players are seeking him out even when others might be better placed to make something happen.

Interesting concept if even Rooney has to fight for his place in the team.

41 minutes ago, angieram said:

No doubting he is a great player and a good influence. It's going to be tricky fitting him in, though.

One thing that I do like when he is absent is that players have to create for themselves instead of giving the ball straight to Rooney. Not his fault, but it feels like players are seeking him out even when others might be better placed to make something happen.

Interesting concept if even Rooney has to fight for his place in the team.

Agreed on this. A Derby team minus Rooney does have more of a personal responsibility I feel. It's almost like without realising, he ends up micro managing the players around him because they feel he needs to involved in everything. Almost definitely not something he's implemented himself, it's just that Rooney factor I guess.

Not that I think Rooney is done by any means with us, and it's actually a very good thing we're not relying on him to get us out of the mess, as we effectively did at the beginning of 2020

Rooney can play in lots of positions so no problem there and he is also our best set piece taker so no problem there and he is the captain so no problem there and if knight and Shinnie are playing in central midfield around him there is no problem there.

waghorn won’t be available in every game and we are constantly playing 3 games a week from now on so there will be times when anybody bar the keeper could be missing from the starting set up. It’s just at centre forward where we are light 

3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I think we have ample evidence at this point about Rooney being ineffective played at #10.

Not at all, let him get on the ball, with more movement in front of him, with Waghorn, Kamil and Lawrence making it easier for him to find that killer pass, plus his set pieces and experience will be a massive bonus as the season goes on, we will all be singing his praises again very soon, let's see if I am right or wrong, remember my comments screen shot this, and we will come back to this topic. 

9 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Not at all, let him get on the ball, with more movement in front of him, with Waghorn, Kamil and Lawrence making it easier for him to find that killer pass, plus his set pieces and experience will be a massive bonus as the season goes on, we will all be singing his praises again very soon, let's see if I am right or wrong, remember my comments screen shot this, and we will come back to this topic. 

I get the thinking but every time we've seen him play there, often with some of those players in front him (albeit not at the same time) he's looked completely ineffectual. 

I could be wrong but I think there is a chance it blunts the front 3 a bit rather than helps them. Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak all like to get into the pockets/drive into the pockets of space in front of the defence behind the midfield. Whilst they will occasionally spin in behind that's not their sole focus. A static Rooney at #10 now means that area is far more crowded and he doesn't have the mobility to drag players from that space to create gaps any more.

We didn't need Rooney before Waghorn was fit and we definitely dont need him now. He had a good spell when he first joined but he has been poop for all of this season. Too slow and doesnt fit our style of play. Maybe useful as a sub.

Role of captain must play a part too. Influences him playing? Though I like Davis over Bird if Rooney isn’t playing, that’s the hierarchy isn’t it as Davis is club captain? Think I’ve lost the plot now, why did I even start thinking about this comment......Confused Little Girl GIF

Amazing how negative people get about a Derby player and the BS that gets spouted..has anyone seen his contract that states he has to play if fit? Just tabloid BS .. as long as he is a Derby player on the pitch he gets 100% support from me..he had a slow start to the season but even Cocu said he was impressed how he was improving once back up to speed..we should be grateful to have an England legend here..im certain he is having a great influence on our young future stars and long may he remain here..

7 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

With Waghorn getting back to full fitness and clearly able to take a decent free kick do we really need Rooney in the team?

Time for Wazza to hang up his boots?

Not really. I think having him play nearly the full 90 every game is somewhat sub-optimal though. Used more sparingly perhaps he can go full beast-mode without ending the season on rubber legs. He still has enormous quality though I take your point that he is not perhaps a mandatory starter now, unless of course the 32 Red contract states he must be.

7 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Marshall

Bielik.          Shinnie

Rooney

Wow how’s Knight not in your team? He’s a must for me and in the middle his best position.

Archived