If Waghorn plays do we need Rooney?

Poynton ram

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Poynton ram said:

With Waghorn getting back to full fitness and clearly able to take a decent free kick do we really need Rooney in the team?

Time for Wazza to hang up his boots?

I can’t see where Rooney fits in now that we are getting back towards a fully fit squad. Maybe we could just bring him on for corners and free kicks ?

Just now, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If we're going on last night's game, Rooney wouldn't get into the starting lineup... I just can't see anyone in midfield or up front that I'd replace. The issue will probably be if there's any clauses in his contract... will we 'have to' find a place for him?

Maybe if Marshall gets injured ?

4 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If we're going on last night's game, Rooney wouldn't get into the starting lineup... I just can't see anyone in midfield or up front that I'd replace. The issue will probably be if there's any clauses in his contract... will we 'have to' find a place for him?

My worry is if he's on a must play if fit contract clause. If the same line up plays well and wins vs Cardiff then rooney is shoehorned in, we'll know.

Most likely we won't be putting rooney up front if waghorn is available, so it'll probably be shinnie who gets dropped becasuse Cocu always seems to drop shinnie first.

7 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

In the spell from Jan he was very influential. Just need to get back to that point.

At that point he'd 3 or months off. after 750 games and never being overly athletic he was never going to up to repetitive 90 minutes at this pace of league. He could have a job in the team for 30 minutes a match and I can only see that in a forward position to be worthwhile .  What Morris should have considered more carefully, was if the media coverage and a lot of time on the bench was worth spending the majority of a very tight budget.  Covid was unforeseen and is probably the reason we sold two players, but no doubt we were on a knife edge before and we spent what we had on Rooney. Wrong choice for me as i said at the time.

44 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Ultimately I’d still like us to go four at the back and there is probably room for Bielik in there at the back.

That Fred’s up a spot whether it’s Rooney, Ibe or Sibley.

34 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We need Rooney. No way Wayne is not going to play.

He is the most over-rated lump I think we’ve ever had.

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

I think he would have been a useful sub last night just to get a bit of calm possession going when Forest started to threaten. 

There's still room for him in a 4-3-3.

I agree about the sub bit but in a 433 it's difficult to place him. 

He hasn't really got the legs for the two advanced positions which you tend to want to be dynamic players or at least mobile. 

As the deepest player it could work but you have to account for his defensive shortcomings. A 3 of Rooney, Shinnie, Knight might work for instance because the latter two essentially account for him. Whether that's worth it or not I think is a huge question mark.

Personally I think we need to start to move past him as so far we've looked more fluid and competitive without him.

Rooney is still a class act, he always takes time to reach full match fitness, he still has a massive part to play, we may drop our 3 at the back and go more 4,3,3, with Rooney in front of Shinnie and Knight or Bielik, and behind Waghorn, so a team of 

Marshall

Bryne.       Davis.     Clarke.  Buchann

Bielik.          Shinnie

Rooney

Lawrence.       Waghorn.        Kamil 

With Wisdom, Knight, bird, Holmes Ibe, giving great competition for those in front of them. That looks a top 6 champ team to me. 

I would like him to develop a little 'niggle' that restricts him to sub appearances and enables him to give more time to his coaching role. Every player who is asked speaks very highly of his input in that respect.

I always thought his appearances would taper towards the end of the eighteen months as he casts off his playing role and develops his coaching one. Now is the time to seriously start that process.

Archived