Charlie Austin - joined QPR on loan

DCFC1388

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Uptherams said:

We still then went on to sign Bielik for.. £8m was it. Which was understandable as he looked like a player that would either be here long term or we sold on for substantially more than that. Then he get's injured. Just goes to show that even when you sign the right player for big money, things can go tits up. 

I don't blame Mel for never breaking £5m again while we are in this league and signings such as Jozwiak become even rarer. But the pattern appears to be that we won't spend any kind of significant money unless there is the chance to sell the player on. Good. 

There are bargains out there. Marshall and Byrne. Ibe might turn out to be another steal and hopefully if we sign Austin, he will be too. Whilst we allow our academy players and U23's more and more opportunities. 

Spot on. If we have the cash, fine to spend on an asset who will potentially grow in value, not fine to blow it on players who have already reached or gone past their potential or are one season wonders (Johnson Butterfield Blackman). 

Every signing is a gamble and sometimes it won’t pay off. Thorne and Bielik were both sound logical signings. Unfortunately injury destroyed Thorne and we hope Bielik doesn’t go the same way, but for those that don’t come off others will and we have our academy products who I’m convinced will all be worth good money in the end (Knight Sibley Bird Buchanan Whittaker)

19 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Ollie Watkins was £1 5 million. Scored a hat trick against Liverpool for Villa. Say no more.

Young up and coming striker when Brentford bought him and we didn’t.

Austin is going the other way sadly. Smacks of desperation.

Well Dursun is in Darmstadt’s squad for their game tonight and Steve Nicholson saying we are not negotiating for Austin and haven’t made an enquiry for him. So we’re not getting Dursun and maybe we are not targeting Austin although that could change.Alternatively, we are looking elsewhere - let’s hope so. 

20 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Just hope we can bring someone in today, would like a left back to come in if possible. 

We've got Buchanan and Fozzy, with Wisdom and MTW who can play full back too in a pinch. We're well covered.

1 minute ago, Shang said:

We've got Buchanan and Fozzy, with Wisdom and MTW who can play full back too in a pinch. We're well covered.

Seriously? Wisdom and MTW can't comfortably play in their own position let alone another one ? and forsyth is as much use as a handbrake on a speedboat 

13 minutes ago, Shang said:

This is what so so many fans said when it got suggested we sign a right back.

"Well we've got Wisdom and Ebosele now. MTW can play there if neee be and so could Evans. So we're well covered"

We aren't well covered at left back at all. We need a good left back. You don't want to end up playing right footed centre halves at left back.

Buchanan is much better at left wing back. Still not sure about him when we play a 4. Forsyth is nowhere near good enough anymore. A left back is important for me.

Don't have to spend a lot. Could even be a loan. Byrne cost us 200k. 

I really rate Buchanan, I think he’s been quality already this season

He made one glaring mistake on Saturday but otherwise kept that wing quiet, blocked crosses, won every header and offered some attacking threat in a defensive performance

I hope he continues to improve because he will be quality 

It’s wasteful to buy a left back in my opinion when he does the job and will get better

Archived