English football is in critical care.

Rev

The football league system is dying before our eyes, and we're not talking about it.

We skirt around the topic in other threads, but the football structure we've had for a century or so is in critical care, and unlikely to pull through with immediate intervention, and there's barely a whisper on here.

The leagues below the PL needs a bailout to survive, so who pays?

The government, who after all have closed off revenue for the club's, despite them following their advice and working hard to be Covid secure? 

Are community clubs not as much a part of the social fabric as theatre and art groups, which have seen limited targeted support, if so should taxpayers money support professional football?

What about the Premier League, do they have a moral duty to support the bottom of the pyramid, or is moving evening kick offs to an earlier time so pubs can invite in fans to watch games, while being less safe than the stadiums they're locked out of enough?

Is Sean Dyche a massive ginger *******, who's perhaps forgotten where he's come from, or does he have a point?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/sep/29/deadly-dychonomics-premier-league-clubs-wont-care-if-efl-teams-go-under

Should the government have slapped a moratorium on transfer fees until the crisis is over, and ordered to leagues to sort themselves out before asking for taxpayers cash?

There's loads more questions, but little debate over such an important issue.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Is Sean Dyche a massive ginger *******, who's perhaps forgotten where he's come from, or does he have a point?

The former. 

9 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The football league system is dying before our eyes, and we're not talking about it.

We skirt around the topic in other threads, but the football structure we've had for a century or so is in critical care, and unlikely to pull through with immediate intervention, and there's barely a whisper on here.

If lower leagues fall through and we're left with the Premier League as it is, I think that'd be me done with football. Multi millionaires, that are completely out of touch with their fans and legions of glory hunting supporters. That's not what football is about for me. 

11 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

What about the Premier League, do they have a moral duty to support the bottom of the pyramid,

Yes they absolutely do. The Premier League inflated all the prices for transfers and have sat hoarding all the money at the top, squeezing up the prices for all the lower league clubs. They have a moral obligation to help out. Man Utd are willing to pay over £100m for Jadon Sancho, how far would that money go to bail out the EFL? Not that burden is on their shoulder entirely, but between the 20 Premier League clubs, they could help so much should they so decide to do so. 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes they absolutely do. The Premier League inflated all the prices for transfers and have sat hoarding all the money at the top, squeezing up the prices for all the lower league clubs. They have a moral obligation to help out. Man Utd are willing to pay over £100m for Jadon Sancho, how far would that money go to bail out the EFL? Not that burden is on their shoulder entirely, but between the 20 Premier League clubs, they could help so much should they so decide to do so. 

If they don't though, would you support taxpayer aid?

Maybe clawed back through a windfall tax on Premier League income, for instance?

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

If they don't though, would you support taxpayer aid?

Maybe clawed back through a windfall tax on Premier League income, for instance?

Yeah, I'd be okay with that, provided it comes with the caveat that clubs can't spend silly money they don't have anymore. I hope the football league sees this as a wake up call and stops throwing cash around.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, I'd be okay with that, provided it comes with the caveat that clubs can't spend silly money they don't have anymore. I hope the football league sees this as a wake up call and stops throwing cash around.

The league had moved in the right direction for me by the end of the GSE era.

£6m of funded losses per season i.e not debt, plus the academy and infrastructure spend seemed enough to let an owner have his fun without ruining them.

29 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Could the lower league teams not find a way to stream their games with a pay per view fee? Even a one camera job would be better than nothing. After this season there might not be a league 1/2.

But the EFL negotiated the TV rights on their behalf, so, they can't do anything themselves.

You're right, they totally should.

The Premier League surviving and hoovering up the corpses of the lower leagues is the ultimate epression of free market.

Of course the Prem clubs will go "oh, how sad, i wonder how much we can gain from lower league sides in our locality going under" but the detriment to the sport of football as a whole will be huge.

There's a bit of me that thinks the PL should be forced to share a big chunk more revenue with the lower leagues, but then the other part thinks it's gonna have to die and something else grow in it's place.

I can't see the PL wanting to step in unless there is reform in the EFL.

Why should the PL chuck even more money at a loss making EFL (even before Covid)?  They already give the EFL clubs more than £370m a year (parachute and solidarity payments).

The PL have moved with the times and now generate huge profits. Th EFL seemingly want to stand still and doesn't want to push itself to be better

I’m divided. The EFL turned down a slice of the PL pie when it was formed, can they really now go cap in hand asking for some cash? I appreciate that was a long time ago and the landscape has changed dramatically in that time but it doesn’t sit 100% right with me. That also isn’t the fault of the clubs, but the EFL, clubs shouldn’t be punished for the incompetence of their governing body. 

On the other hand you have so many PL players and managers that have an EFL background that surely it is in their interests to help out.

But then it isn’t the PL’s decision to have cut off the vast majority of the revenue of EFL clubs. Surely the government have to take some responsibility for that, without wishing to turn it into a politics thread. It isn’t like EFL clubs can turn off the outgoings tap, but the government has turned off their incomings tap for them. Difficult one, maybe any rescue package, whoever it comes from, should come with stipulations for much needed reform. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The Premier League surviving and hoovering up the corpses of the lower leagues is the ultimate epression of free market.

Of course the Prem clubs will go "oh, how sad, i wonder how much we can gain from lower league sides in our locality going under" but the detriment to the sport of football as a whole will be huge.

There's a bit of me that thinks the PL should be forced to share a big chunk more revenue with the lower leagues, but then the other part thinks it's gonna have to die and something else grow in it's place.

maybe too simplistic but the EPL make their money out of television exposure.  Far more fans than those supporting EPL clubs pay subs for the privilege of watching clubs that they have affinity.  If you support a D1/2 team and subscribe to watch EPL/CL I think you are the fundamental problem.  Your club is about to go under but no matter you can still watch sky sports on Sunday.  The EPL must be so happy.  Can't see how it can change, the genie is out of the bottle

Hasn't our chairman consistently said that the EFL have undervalued & undersold their product for years??  The Championship is the 5th highest watched league in the world yet they earn a fraction of what they could in TV rights.

On Channel 4 news last night, someone mentioned that it would cost £240m to get League 1 & 2 through the season without fans, that's chump change to the Premier League.  Is it the Premier League's fault that the EFL/FA are still stuck in the 80s??  Of course not, but they should do what they can to help.

There's millions of normal taxpayers who haven't been eligible for a bean of government support from March as they haven't been eligible for the furlough scheme as they either changed jobs at the wrong time, are self employed and earning over 50 grand a year or have run their own business for less than a year. Millions. So don't talk to me about the government bailing out football clubs. It's offensive. 

Archived