Mike Te Wierik

DerbyRam!

A few games in and he's already been marked as scapegoat of the year.

Welcome to Derby Mike!!

Hopefully we can cut him a bit of slack and actually support our team instead of wrist slashing.

I doubt this has been posted but interesting read in case anyone is interested 

https://www.ad.nl/buitenlands-voetbal/te-wierik-vindt-draai-in-engeland-het-had-robben-kunnen-zijn-het-is-rooney-geworden~aeb238ca/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

(use chrome and translate the page)

Feel free to merge me into another thread is similar is around.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're over reacting in the same way you're accusing other posters of over reacting - the word hypocrisy comes to mind.

To have a more balanced conversation people are commenting on what they're seen so far which has without argument been very poor. Unless you want posters to ignore this and write rave reviews instead? The comments I've seen on here have been very fair, balanced and proportionate to the displays witnessed so far. Much room for improvement.

Yeah he’s obviously had a tough start, he’s been caught out with a long ball 2 games in a row now, we probably should have expected it seeing as he did an interview saying how he hasn’t really played against that kind of tactic before. He’s going to need some time to settle in, as a poster said above I’d be happy to see Wiz back in the middle with Clarke. Granted he’s not commanding in the air but he has a turn of pace that we’re lacking.

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

This would be my back four on Saturday, gone for Fozzy at left back mainly for set pieces due to Wiz’s arial deficiencies. 

I've not really seen a scapegoat since Keogh 

People used to say we will never get promoted with Keogh in the side like he was holding back the entire squad from being promoted. 1 player?

But since then I've seen criticism of Lawrence, Waghorn, Bogle, Malone etc but I don't think any of it has been trying to lay blame at their feet for everything. Just for consistently not doing the right thing. 

Same with MTW. It would be a lie to say he's been excellent. But I've not seen anyone say that he's cost us points all by himself. We've seen him play a few times and he's not done well. It's only the same as saying I watched Lech Poznan a couple of times and Jozwiak looked good. 

Tbh most criticism is aimed at Cocu's football. If anyone is close to having everything blamed on them it's Cocu.

But really I think a lot (not all) of the out there negative comments come from people who we'll have to call Happy Clappers and they're saying the wrist slashers are saying stuff they haven't. 

I would say MTW looks like one of those pretty Defensive Midfielders that can't defend and seduce people with passing. He looks a tidy player until asked to defend. Which is worse for a CB than a DM. But that's how it looks. In 6 months he might look like a beast. Can only say what you see 

So we're now not allowed to criticise him if he plays bad? He's not a scapegoat, nobody has said he can't be good. He ducked up yesterday, he got called out the same as any other player. When he plays well, he'll get praise, same as any other player. 

I personally think he's got a lot to learn before he's ready to start for us. 

Unless he's truly, completely awful at every aspect of defending I'll give him at least a year, but so far all we've really seen are a couple of issues that can be ironed out / improved upon with experience of this league.

I'm keeping in mind Jordy de Wijs at Hull who they had doubts about in his first season but was widely considered one of their most important players and their best defender in his second, at least before it all went to poo.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've not really seen a scapegoat since Keogh 

People used to say we will never get promoted with Keogh in the side like he was holding back the entire squad from being promoted. 1 player?

But since then I've seen criticism of Lawrence, Waghorn, Bogle, Malone etc but I don't think any of it has been trying to lay blame at their feet for everything. Just for consistently not doing the right thing. 

Same with MTW. It would be a lie to say he's been excellent. But I've not seen anyone say that he's cost us points all by himself. We've seen him play a few times and he's not done well. It's only the same as saying I watched Lech Poznan a couple of times and Jozwiak looked good. 

Tbh most criticism is aimed at Cocu's football. If anyone is close to having everything blamed on them it's Cocu.

But really I think a lot (not all) of the out there negative comments come from people who we'll have to call Happy Clappers and they're saying the wrist slashers are saying stuff they haven't. 

I would say MTW looks like one of those pretty Defensive Midfielders that can't defend and seduce people with passing. He looks a tidy player until asked to defend. Which is worse for a CB than a DM. But that's how it looks. In 6 months he might look like a beast. Can only say what you see 

Derby scapegoats - Keogh, Roos, Hamer

I do remember someone behind me shouting get him off at Canara 5 minutes into his debut don’t know if he counts ! 

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

So we're now not allowed to criticise him if he plays bad? He's not a scapegoat, nobody has said he can't be good. He ducked up yesterday, he got called out the same as any other player. When he plays well, he'll get praise, same as any other player. 

I personally think he's got a lot to learn before he's ready to start for us. 

I think like most things on the forum the arguments get a little lost in translation. No one is really saying Te Weirik is a scapegoat in serious terms but it’s easier for the debate if there’s two camps at the extremes of the argument.

For example, what do you mean by learn here? I’m guessing you really mean that he needs to get used to his role and used to his partnerships with the players around him. But how you’ve used the word learn it will then get interpreted that you think he needs to learn how to defend and he isn’t very good, which puts you at an extreme end of what you are trying to say. Which when he starts playing well will get the other side of the debate going ‘where are the scapegoaters now?!!’

Or maybe ive over thought it, but my point is reality of how we all think I presume is much closer to the fence than to either side.

Just now, TuffLuff said:

I think like most things on the forum the arguments get a little lost in translation. No one is really saying Te Weirik is a scapegoat in serious terms but it’s easier for the debate if there’s two camps at the extremes of the argument.

For example, what do you mean by learn here? I’m guessing you really mean that he needs to get used to his role and used to his partnerships with the players around him. But how you’ve used the word learn it will then get interpreted that you think he needs to learn how to defend and he isn’t very good, which puts you at an extreme end of what you are trying to say. Which when he starts playing well will get the other side of the debate going ‘where are the scapegoaters now?!!’

Or maybe ive over thought it, but my point is reality of how we all think I presume is much closer to the fence than to either side.

Learning how to deal with a long ball. He got caught out vs Barrow, Reading and now last night by them. It's becoming a bit of a habit. I don't think it's extreme, he's a tidy enough footballer, but he needs to improve his positioning so he doesn't get caught out by the over the top as often. If he can adapt to that, there's no reason he can't be decent.

Not read the match thread as I know what you lot are like, but thought his sending off was a bit harsh last night, anyone agree? The Reading player ran straight across him, not entirely sure what the ref wanted him to do, but then I'm not entirely sure the ref has passed any refereeing course. 

Should get a job down some beach shop blowing up rubber dingys.

Just now, David said:

Not read the match thread as I know what you lot are like, but thought his sending off was a bit harsh last night, anyone agree? The Reading player ran straight across him, not entirely sure what the ref wanted him to do, but then I'm not entirely sure the ref has passed any refereeing course. 

Should get a job down some beach shop blowing up rubber dingys.

Not a lot he could do, but by the rules he's gotta go. It was smart play from the attacker, he knew what he was doing. That being said, MTW shouldn't have walked if their tackle later on was judged not to be a red because they were basically the same thing. 

Archived