v Barrow (H) Match Thread

Day

8 minutes ago, europia said:

Folks were asking the similar questions when Clement was in charge, and we had better quality players then. Not sure anyone knows the answer to your question regarding the current set up, but we are going to have to trust in Cocu's judgement. 

I like Cocu and he has my support and I get the passing game idea but just wish we moved the ball quicker and put the other team under a bit of pressure.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Players have got to show more confidence in their ability to pass and move. They are taking the easy option due to either a lack of confidence or a lack of ability. I hope its the former not the latter. 

Yes, the first thought and safe option always seems to be to go backwards..

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I did not watch the match (or follow in any way) but I think the players should be ashamed and whipping themselves with rough twigs for such a performance.

Bit extreme....maybe a period on the naughty step and grounded for a week ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So injured or too inconsistent to keep a spot? He's been a poor buy, especially when you wonder 'what if' we'd paid what was asked for Watkins regardless.

He's certainly had injuries but no more than any number in a squad that seems a bit cursed.  Inconsistency I disagree with.  Inconsistency in the wide players and midfield is more the problem.  His goals in important games such as Man Utd, Southampton and Leeds have pretty much covered his fee in gate receipts and tv money so we've had a lot worse. Regarding Watkins-the rumoured 4 mill was a lot for a league 2 player.  In hindsight it would have been a good deal but imagine McClaren made the decision on that one.

I've reflected. I've had friends round for drinks so am a few beers and bottles for red in so am probably in no fit state to comment.  Am I still disappointed. Yes.  Did I expect more. Yes. But should I expect more.  Maybe not. We played a team who, to their credit stuck to a game plan. Men behind the ball. We played all our young players.  And I mean young. This was not a team of experience. No Rooney. No Lawrence. No Waghorn. Te Wierik new. Wisdom a bit stabby. We got a result courtesy of Roos. Our youngsters continue to learn and will be great in the future. Patience is still needed, as hard as that sounds.  I hoped this season. would be the one. I dont think it will be. But next season. Yeah baby. Sozzled I am.  G'night. 

Let’s just hope these attacking signings come sooner rather than later, coupled with a return to fitness for a couple of others. That formation, whilst a potential string to our bow, is certainly being forced upon us right now with what we have and one glance at the starting line up today and you knew how poor we would be going forwards. I doubt Cocu wants to play like that anymore than we do. 

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

We're in the next round of the cup, that's all that matters in these games.

Can't believe some of the hysteria I've read today.

I understand what you’re saying, yes we’re in the next round and yes some may have overreacted but that’s there opinion.

its our last game/friendly before the season starts and you would be hoping for a better performance than what we showed. This game should of been taking confidence into the first game of the season - Joao the Reading forward who will be playing next week scored a hattrick today so he will be on it - I doubt many of our players bar Roos could go into the game next week feeling confident after that display.

we are missing players but for me Rooney isn’t the most important Bielik is - Bird doesn’t look comfortable passing through the lines forward that’s where you need a mobile player like Bielik who can drive forward but also look for those balls down the channels and over the top to Marriott.

Signings defo needed but as you say we’re in the hat 

On 04/09/2020 at 22:30, IslandExile said:

I find this post, particularly from a mod, to be quite offensive.

I started supporting the Rams in 68, was young but did live through the "glory days".

Nevertheless, I am just as excited - as always - about the new season.

I'll be even more excited if we can bring in a couple of creative players. I'm massively excited by the potential of Sibley and I have been saying for ages that I think Marriott is the best natural finisher we've had since Davison and Saunders (or, paraphrased for you, "for a long time").

You should also know that I am Cocu's biggest fan.

The play off semi at Leeds is one of my favourite games of all time and still gave me goosebumps when replayed only the other day.

Even now, I'm checking every forum post to see if Kamil will sign.

You should know that there is nothing wrong with having happy memories of past times, football related or not. That does not mean that you cannot also enjoy the present.

Show a tad more respect.

COYR ?

Please move the ball forward quicker, the game today was shocking in the tempo we created. 

For me what we lacked today and in the poor spell last season is the switch in pace , I’m not against the possession knock it round slow stuff but you then need the sudden burst of pace Mixed in that catches teams out,for that you need the players to be settled and on the same wavelength so I’m not too worried like some about yesterday’s performance which I think was experimental with the view of still being good enough to get through ( bit tight for my liking) 

let’s wait and see what the window brings and the real season ,it’s early days

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

For me what we lacked today and in the poor spell last season is the switch in pace , I’m not against the possession knock it round slow stuff but you then need the sudden burst of pace Mixed in that catches teams out,for that you need the players to be settled and on the same wavelength so I’m not too worried like some about yesterday’s performance which I think was experimental with the view of still being good enough to get through ( bit tight for my liking) 

let’s wait and see what the window brings and the real season ,it’s early days

He’s building a team of robots. Not his fault. I think Cocu alluded to the team finally buying into his philosophy. At present you can almost see them mouthing keep position, keep possession.

The firs time passing is what was missing yesterday. That creates the change of pace. Also, too many balls were played to feet or behind the player. Playing to feet is great but doesn’t in itself create tempo. If you watch Rooney, he often plays the ball into a gap, just beyond the player, encouraging forward momentum.

Too many of our passes went straight to our players feet. This meant we were too pedestrian IMO. In the first half, on a number of occasions Buchanan was in a good position out on the touchline with space infront of him but the ball being passed was always straight at him (or behind him) rather than in front to allow him to run onto it. As a result he was stationary when he received the ball and this meant he ended up passing the ball back or sideways.

You’ve got to hand to to Cocu, playing a striker at right back and a right back upfront is the perfect way to publicly send a message. 

I wonder whether these players might have been touted around without him knowing, and he’s going this is what you’ve left me with?

Either way, I’m certain he will get the reinforcements now. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Does not compute. 

Probably didn’t explain myself well.

I meant that at the moment they are doing exactly what they are told, not playing in the moment.

When they can adopt the philosophy but still show their creativity we will have a team to fear.

42 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s building a team of robots. Not his fault. I think Cocu alluded to the team finally buying into his philosophy. At present you can almost see them mouthing keep position, keep possession.

The firs time passing is what was missing yesterday. That creates the change of pace. Also, too many balls were played to feet or behind the player. Playing to feet is great but doesn’t in itself create tempo. If you watch Rooney, he often plays the ball into a gap, just beyond the player, encouraging forward momentum.

Whilst I agree with what you say you need the space to pass into or the pass needs to be very accurate, not easy when playing at “tempo”. Hence why I believe our game can appear pedestrian at times. Tempo is governed by the ability of the player to hit that accurate first time pass. Cocu said as much in an interview last season when he was questioned on the teams lack of tempo - “we can only play as quick as the ability of the players allow, play too quick and we lose possession”. This is why as you say Rooney is so important to us (especially at home when we will have to break teams down). 

What struck me yesterday and parts of last season is how many corners we win and free kicks in the last third without posing an aerial threat on goal. Hence needing to push Wisdom up front. A pity Sam Cosgrove at Aberdeen is currently injured, he would be my choice to remedy this problem.

Archived