v Barrow (H) Match Thread

Day

Just watched the highlights, and I particularly enjoyed a move that was: someone playing a long ball out the back that sibley controller brilliantly, to knight, to Buchanan, cross to bird, to Whittaker, and then finished off with a deflected shot from Marriott. 

but all the best parts of that move were from 5 academy products. That’s half the outfield team!

the only thing that worried me about that is, we know our academy teams are brilliant. But are they that brilliant that we can rely on them to compete in the championship?

well we couldn’t beat barrow in normal time so make of that what you will. 

am I happy cos we had so many academy products on the pitch? Or am I sad because a tram made of mostly academy products couldn’t beat barrow?

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no problem with the academy players.

bogle, Lowe, bird, sibley, knight, and possibly Buchanan are all good. 
others are emerging too, but they need time to feel confident and comfortable in the first team.

I’d rather try more academy graduates than spend millions on unknown quantities scouted by video.

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

the only thing that worried me about that is, we know our academy teams are brilliant. But are they that brilliant that we can rely on them to compete in the championship?

I’m hopeful that the academy players give us the foundation of a brilliant team and we purchase / bring in loans for their weaker areas, such as CB and up front. I agree with your sentiment, they’re not going to make a brilliant team on their own.

if that means selling the likes of Boyle and Lowe to splash some cash on some attacking pace and flair then so be it. It’s going to be a long season without much goal threat otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mountain Ram said:

I’m hopeful that the academy players give us the foundation of a brilliant team and we purchase / bring in loans for their weaker areas, such as CB and up front. I agree with your sentiment, they’re not going to make a brilliant team on their own.

if that means selling the likes of Boyle and Lowe to splash some cash on some attacking pace and flair then so be it. It’s going to be a long season without much goal threat otherwise.

Well, in that particular move, the weak link was Marriott. Replace him with Triallist. Simples. 

9 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Well, in that particular move, the weak link was Marriott. Replace him with Triallist. Simples. 

For me Marriott was ok yesterday .

Have you actually watched Hector Ingram in the U23s I’d say he isn’t anywhere near Marriott at this time. 

21 minutes ago, Curtains said:

For me Marriott was ok yesterday .

Have you actually watched Hector Ingram in the U23s I’d say he isn’t anywhere near Marriott at this time. 

I think Cocu agrees with you with regards JHI. I would have thought that pre-season would have been the perfect opportunity to have a goon look at him, especially as Waghorn has been injured. Thought it strange he wasn’t even in the squad yesterday- unless he was injured.

At his age perhaps his future lies elsewhere?

The back three all looked good. They just need to stop passing to each other.

Of our first 18 touches of the ball, 12 were by the centre backs. Only two ‘attacking players’ touched the ball and one of them was Marriott kicking off. 

On 04/09/2020 at 21:40, David said:

Kid at Xmas Eve feeling, wasn't around for the glory days so I'm yet to reach that miserable age where everything and everyone are toss compared to the good old days.

Start of the new season and no idea how Barrow are going to approach the game so no pre ugh they'll park the bus like Forest concerns. Injuries aside we should have more than enough to get through the game.

Really hoping this is the year Marriott makes his mark, we've seen glimpses of what he can do and why we spent the money we did, it's just that fitness issue thats plagued the start of his Derby career, looking at pictures of him pre season he has kept himself in shape whilst not playing.

Are we not bothering with a matchday thread for Reading then?

Excitement worn off a bit after Barra'?

Archived