v Barrow (H) Match Thread

Day

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Looking at Cocu's post-match interview, particularly the last 30 seconds or so, his wry smile was telling me he's got a few surprises up his sleeve by way of transfer activity, probably both in and out. This time next week the squad could take on a quite different look.

Genuinely hope ur right buddy

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

I did say “game” overall as a game from both teams it was utterly  dreadful.

I thought Barrow were excellent personally 

49 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

In recent times the 1-4 loss at home to Sunderland sticks out as really dire ?

but not as bad as the following weeks drubbing by burton 

Just now, Paul71 said:

but not as bad as the following weeks drubbing by burton 

Yes, remember that day. Was at a family gathering up in Scotland driving to the theatre in Edinburgh and couldn’t believe what I was hearing on Radio 5. Spoiled the whole evening ☹️

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So did me and my son running back to the train station to get the last train back....not the greatest of journeys back to Shropshire. Nearly as quiet as the journey back after Zamora?

You say that about the QPR match but I thought the trip back after the Leicester final was even worse.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

You say that about the QPR match but I thought the trip back after the Leicester final was even worse.

I think the Fester defeat took longer to hit me. We were the better side that day too but not as dominant as we were against QPR. That was daylight robbery and hit me immediately ..

14 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

Great strikers  don't need to move much.

Just enoogh, and at the right time. 

In a good team he'd score shedloads.

Cocu's teams don't set up that way, but it's all he has at his pisposal. 

Shame Marriott isn’t a great striker. Doesn’t matter if you threw him in Barcelona’s team, a League One player is still a League One player. And that’s all Jack Marriott is. Hope to god we get a new striker in this week, though at least Waghorn is half competent and should be fit next weekend.

The overreaction to one game and one performance, and the first competitive game of the season at that, never ceases to amaze me. I wonder how the fans of Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Huddersfield or QPR are tonight, because they've all lost to lower league opposition and aren’t in the next round.

Doesn't anyone consider context any more? Doesn’t anyone have any patience any more?
We know our manager recognises the lack of attacking strength even given the attackers we were missing today through injury. He’s said so very clearly. We know that the club and he are trying to do something about it, but we all may have to wait a bit, perhaps until sales go through. We can work out that money to pay for new players isn’t readily available - not only will the EFL be smarting at their tribunal loss and the manner of it and ready to leap on us at the slightest hint of FFP difficulty, we have also got to get our overall pay structure below 100% of income in a good year never mind a covid year. We know our manager decided to start by strengthening the defence, and has done so, because he’s told us. Sir Brian started there too lest we forget and he was lucky to have Kevin Hector already in the club and no transfer windows. We know that we are trying out a new (to us) system of play, because the manager has said so and this is the first properly competitive match we’ve tried it in with these players. How many times over the last 5 years have people on this forum cried out for a plan B? Well, here's one in development. It takes time. We know that we are bringing through young players. They take time and different amounts of time - to develop physically, to get used to men’s football and its demands, to feel confident about playing in the first team. Sibley's started with a bang overall but he’s still drifting in and out of games; Whittaker is developing more slowly but he’s just beginning (today and Birmingham) to show to us what those in charge of his development see in him. Perhaps they know more than we do. I wonder which of us were the 'finished article' at 20 years old in our professions or jobs because I wasn’t. Experience comes with time and coaching and training and development. And patience.

We've struggled for several years under successive managers to break down organised teams prepared to sit and absorb pressure. I suspect our management team - the first ones for a while who have been with us for more than a season - might just recognise that and are trying to get people in to address the problem. 
It may not have been the most scintillating game in our history but we’re through to the next round, unlike some, our younger players have a bit more experience in the bank, the team has another 90 minutes of playing a different system and we’ve just completed the first 90 minutes of a long old season with a win. In the context of what we’re trying to achieve we’ve made a small step forward. Toss it wasn’t.

5 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

The overreaction to one game and one performance, and the first competitive game of the season at that, never ceases to amaze me. I wonder how the fans of Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, Huddersfield or QPR are tonight, because they've all lost to lower league opposition and aren’t in the next round.

Doesn't anyone consider context any more? Doesn’t anyone have any patience any more?
We know our manager recognises the lack of attacking strength even given the attackers we were missing today through injury. He’s said so very clearly. We know that the club and he are trying to do something about it, but we all may have to wait a bit, perhaps until sales go through. We can work out that money to pay for new players isn’t readily available - not only will the EFL be smarting at their tribunal loss and the manner of it and ready to leap on us at the slightest hint of FFP difficulty, we have also got to get our overall pay structure below 100% of income in a good year never mind a covid year. We know our manager decided to start by strengthening the defence, and has done so, because he’s told us. Sir Brian started there too lest we forget and he was lucky to have Kevin Hector already in the club and no transfer windows. We know that we are trying out a new (to us) system of play, because the manager has said so and this is the first properly competitive match we’ve tried it in with these players. How many times over the last 5 years have people on this forum cried out for a plan B? Well, here's one in development. It takes time. We know that we are bringing through young players. They take time and different amounts of time - to develop physically, to get used to men’s football and its demands, to feel confident about playing in the first team. Sibley's started with a bang overall but he’s still drifting in and out of games; Whittaker is developing more slowly but he’s just beginning (today and Birmingham) to show to us what those in charge of his development see in him. Perhaps they know more than we do. I wonder which of us were the 'finished article' at 20 years old in our professions or jobs because I wasn’t. Experience comes with time and coaching and training and development. And patience.

We've struggled for several years under successive managers to break down organised teams prepared to sit and absorb pressure. I suspect our management team - the first ones for a while who have been with us for more than a season - might just recognise that and are trying to get people in to address the problem. 
It may not have been the most scintillating game in our history but we’re through to the next round, unlike some, our younger players have a bit more experience in the bank, the team has another 90 minutes of playing a different system and we’ve just completed the first 90 minutes of a long old season with a win. In the context of what we’re trying to achieve we’ve made a small step forward. Toss it wasn’t.

Thank you @ilkleyram could not have penned that any better. Post of the day my friend. Glad you’re a Ram making sense 

3 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Toss it wasn’t.

Yeah it was. We played Barrow! Wisdom at number 10, Whittaker and Buchanan needed 2 or 3 adjustments everytime they got the ball, Evan's cant kick it properly with his left, knight tried a flick under zero pressure that looked like my daughter on the wreck (she admits shes terrible), forsyth couldnt cross the road, no flair, no pace, no tempo. Hell, the mighty Barrow even had the best 2 chances. Just my opinion so calm down with the personals. ?

We are toss

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Shame Marriott isn’t a great striker. Doesn’t matter if you threw him in Barcelona’s team, a League One player is still a League One player. And that’s all Jack Marriott is. Hope to god we get a new striker in this week, though at least Waghorn is half competent and should be fit next weekend.

I almost hope he leaves and gets 20 goals elsewhere.  League one players don't score against 3 goals in 3 play off games and 3 in 3 against premier league opposition- top five premier opposition at that.  Just my opinion mind.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I almost hope he leaves and gets 20 goals elsewhere.  League one players don't score against 3 goals in 3 play off games and 3 in 3 against premier league opposition- top five premier opposition at that.  Just my opinion mind.

If he leaves to League One he might do. He had a purple patch under Lampard when he scored a few goals. Even then his general play was pretty woeful. People are letting the playoff goals cloud their judgement of a player who isn’t all that great. Same as they let Roos and Keogh’s mistakes at Wembley convince them that they’re worse players than they are. If Waghorn put in that performance today, he’d be getting pelters on here I’m sure.

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The personnel has a lot to do with that though. Looks likely there will be a couple of new faces in over next week or so...if we still look this toothless with them, Rooney, Lawrence & Waghorn available, then its fair criticism.

We’ve looked utterly toothless with them in the side also.

36 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Yeah it was. We played Barrow! Wisdom at number 10, Whittaker and Buchanan needed 2 or 3 adjustments everytime they got the ball, Evan's cant kick it properly with his left, knight tried a flick under zero pressure that looked like my daughter on the wreck (she admits shes terrible), forsyth couldnt cross the road, no flair, no pace, no tempo. Hell, the mighty Barrow even had the best 2 chances. Just my opinion so calm down with the personals. ?

We are toss

Yawn 

Archived