Jake Clarke-Salter - Joined Birmingham on loan

Kuskus

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cocu may have decided on 3/5 at the back being our favoured formation, with Waghorn, Rooney and Marriott battling it out for the CF spot?

With just Clarke, Davies, Evans, Wisdom and te Wierik (and Fozzy), maybe Cocu wants a better option there.

Or he may want four at the back but not trust the current crop.

I’d say Clarke should be a cert, but I’m not convinced by any of the current squad to play next to him.

Five at the back was a reaction to the Blackburn game. It was Cocu saying he would not tolerate such defending again. He needed Davies to organise them and show how it’s done but also that Davies in a four is a massive risk.

I would say his plan is to utilise the midfield and attacking options we have by playing six of them. That means four at the back who have to do their jobs.

If we are interested in Clarke-Salter, maybe one of our current defenders is on their way out?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always said a centre half will come in I agree we have to go 4-2-1-3 to be a success when everyone is fit and Waghorn has to be the No 9 with Marriott as back up with one of Rooney, Lawrence and Sibley for the No 10 Role loads of options.

And when we are losing last 20 minutes it’s easy to go 4-2-4

Its looking Rosy get him in?

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Cocu may have decided on 3/5 at the back being our favoured formation, with Waghorn, Rooney and Marriott battling it out for the CF spot?

With just Clarke, Davies, Evans, Wisdom and te Wierik (and Fozzy), maybe Cocu wants a better option there.

I actually really like this idea @Ghost of Clough. When fit we have some good attacking options. With Ibe, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Whittaker and Duncan to come too I can see a mobile rotating front 3 that coached right, could confuse the hell out of defenders.

Save our money until we can get someone we really want as a CF. 

9 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

MTW is just victim of a poor team start with zero protection for the centre backs whenever he'd played. We hardly introduced him in to a team playing well.

He's victim to same thing Bielik is, to a certain extent. We were absolute pap in the time Bielik was fit. Didn't pick up until after he was injured. Hard to judge players when the whole team around them is filled with 6/10 or less.

11 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

MTW is just victim of a poor team start with zero protection for the centre backs whenever he'd played. We hardly introduced him in to a team playing well.

I was chatting to a mate of mine yesterday, he's a Hull City fan. We were talking about the start MTW has had and he mentioned how similar it sounded to the start Jordy De Wijs had at Hull. Looked really shaky and uncomfortable up to Christmas and needed time to get used to the pace and power in the Championship.

By the end of that season he was regarded as their best centre-half, and went on to be named Captain.

I think we just need to give MTW time!

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Probably sensible,Curtis is a beast but it’s unfair to expect him to battle it out every game..

Not sure what the crack with MTW is,thank the lord that PP has no fans.

Everyone else is fine as cover.

What happened to Wiz last week,I missed why he wasn’t playing?

Probably because when he’s playing he goes missing!

29 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I was chatting to a mate of mine yesterday, he's a Hull City fan. We were talking about the start MTW has had and he mentioned how similar it sounded to the start Jordy De Wijs had at Hull. Looked really shaky and uncomfortable up to Christmas and needed time to get used to the pace and power in the Championship.

By the end of that season he was regarded as their best centre-half, and went on to be named Captain.

Time?! Give him time?! Are you joking? We cannot be expected to do such a thing! 

Hes rubbish, the worst defender I’ve ever seen. I want success and I want it NOW

54 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

In 1v1 situations he has done quite well, he made a brilliant recovery challenge against Blackburn also. You can see the ability is there we just need to sort our team balance out. I think he'll come good when we get a more solid midfield line up that offers some cover so we don't get overloaded every time a team counters.

58 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This is it. It’s hardly ground breaking stuff that when players come from a different county, it can take them time to adjust to the football over here. It’s happened with better players than MTW. 

one of my favourites I like to point to is Luka Modric. My mate who’s a spurs fan was adamant he was completely useless the first season he was at Spurs, and that seemed to be the general consensus among spurs fans at the time.  His second season, he was arguably the best player in the league. If the player is willing to give it time, then it can be turned around. Would be nice if  fans gave MTW time, rather than write him off after a couple of games.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

@Wolfie20 not sure why you laughing reacted my post, how does signing another CB indicate anything else?

I doubt Cocu thinks that after 2 appearances. After all, he dropped Clarke then re-instated him soon afterwards - the same might also apply to MTW?

By the way, when someone laughs at one of your posts do you always go looking for theirs and attach a laughing reaction, as you've just done with 5 of mine? Bit childish if it's true?

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

I doubt Cocu thinks that after 2 appearances. After all, he dropped Clarke then re-instated him soon afterwards - the same might also apply to MTW?

By the way, when someone laughs at one of your posts do you always go looking for theirs and attach a laughing reaction, as you've just done with 5 of mine? Bit childish if it's true?

Nope, just tend to find you frequently do it to mine, so thought I'd repay the favour. 

It was merely a suggestion, not stating anything for a fact. You'd assume if we did sign another CB it'd be in Mike Te Wierik's position, no? As such it would indicate some doubt, otherwise it'd be a position we're relatively well stocked in? 

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not sure I buy it TBH - This article is written based on this article:

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/watford-middlesbrough-chelsea-baba-rahman-season-long-loan/cliqohd4i0b71q7sjd5olrdwx

Which is about someone else and the single paragraph about JCS says:

Jake Clarke-Salter turned down overseas loan interest from Club Brugge and Trabzonspor to prioritise a move to the Championship once again. Although a deal isn't thought to be close, it is understood that Derby County, Huddersfield Town, Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday have all registered an interest.

It doesn't say WHEN we registered an interest - That could have been weeks/months ago when we were hoping for him as a backup option had we not been able to get Clarke back

And the HITC article assumes that we're favourites merely from our poor start! No indication in the GOAL article that would be the case

This is a classic HITC non-story for me

If this is a permanent deal then I can see the thinking behind it.

Currently we have the following options at centre back - 

Clarke - On loan

Davies - How long does he have left in him?

MTW - 1st season over here

Wisdom - Normally a RB

Evans - Normally a CDM

Bielik - Likely to be CDM

Forsyth - Naturally a LB

So come next season our only out and out centre back could be MTW with not many looking likely to progress through the academy. Only Solomon has been close but he wont be first choice within a year.

Clarke-Salter's left-footed. Knowing how Cocu likes a left-footer on the left and a right-footer on the right, I'd imagine if we were in for him it would be for competition with Clarke rather than to play alongside him. Might be that Cocu saw how Wisdom and te Wierik - both of whom have no experience playing on the left of a back-two - played together against Blackburn and decided that if Clarke were injured or needed resting at some point in the season, he'd rather have someone left-footed and who plays on that left-side to slot into that position.

Archived