Jake Clarke-Salter - Joined Birmingham on loan

Kuskus

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I'm happy with our defensive options this year if we look ahead to next year we're struggling. Clarke's loan will be up, Davies will have left / retired. That only leaves Te Wierik, Wisdom who will be fighting for the same position and covering RB and Bielik who seems more at home in midfield and will likely be needed there if Rooney goes in the summer. Fozzy and Evans are cover but I don't want more than the odd game there for them.

If finances allow I wouldn't mind a young CB who can come in on a permanent and play a bit part while learning and improving hopefully with a view of starting next season. Not sure if this guy is the answer for that but we need a wide player and a striker for this year first anyway.

We don't need a proven player at CB anymore, but we could perhaps do with a developmental player. Clarke-Salter isn't going to come in and be the best player from day one, but he's arguably someone we could work with and improve. Birmingham fans like him. He obviously did a good job last season. 

It's important to remember that the coaching staff here and the entire setup in general is now focused around player development. I think Clarke Salter falls into that category. 

23 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Wisdom.

21 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Evans

3 hours ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Bielik

Definitely don't need another CB.....we've actually got plenty on the books...loads of backup if needed. Other positions are certainly more of a priority.

• 1 month later...

If he’s seen that MTW isn’t up to it, which is worrying, it would make sense. As I said, we’ve got room for a development centre back. If it’s a loan deal then I would hope it’s a loan with a option to buy. 

We can’t say the CB play (aside for the Norwich game) has been good. Clarke Salter would allow us to play a higher line, reducing the need for a target man as we can naturally take a higher starting position up the pitch. A little like Tomori, when we would start Marriott in the centre forward position and actually produce. 

Archived