our new striker?

RYRAM

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Do you think that this has always been the case with Waghorn, or was last season an anomaly? 

He did seem particularly 'two-left feet' at times last season, dunno whether it matters in the long term if we can create lots of chances.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

How does he compare to others in the division? I know for a fact people were laughing at Bamford for the sitters he was missing and the amount of points Leeds missed out on as a result

It would have made their season a bit easier too?! 

FWIW the couple of times I saw Watkins play post restart it seemed he had lots of chances and took some...

21 minutes ago, Duracell said:

This is why stats are helpful as empirical guidelines rather than the truth itself, but also why you should always approach your own opinions and viewpoints of players with a healthy degree of scepticism.

We've all seen with our own eyes how Waghorn is in front of goal. The emotion of frustration that comes as a fan when a chances like those are missed is immense. It can also cause us to over-egg the pudding. Yes, Waghorn misses some easy chances at crucial points in matches, but that very quickly turns into a reputation that he misses a lot of chances and/or can't finish. The stats prove that this isn't true.

Yeah whatever, he’s not for me as our preferred striker. Marriott would be, I just don’t see him stringing games together for us. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

But as I've already pointed out, Waghorn was only bettered by 4 out of the top 6 CFs in terms of how clinical they were. His rate in 18/19 was better than all of them. He's a reliable option in terms of fitness and Cocu has also stated he works well with Sibley.

Marriott had injury troubles last season, but the season before did quite well. He was a nuisance and despite not being the most clinical, his shooting caused all sorts of trouble for the opposition. He also seemed to work well with Sibley last night.

Waghorn will be available most games. Marriott available for a reasonable percentage with Trialist chipping in with a few apps when he isn't. Bennett used only in an emergency or when chasing a game late on. We also have Rooney, Lawrence and Whittaker who all played there at some point last season (*even if it was just for a few mins). I know you want us to have 4 top end strikers fighting for a single position, but with our budget, the balance is just about right. The only issue is if we can't sign a right winger and we're forced to play Waghorn on the right - then we will need to sign a CF as it leaves us with just Marriott as a senior CF.

I had a look at the top championship scorer odds yesterday with Marriott at 33/1 and waghorn at 50/1 with some of them maybe worth a little punt 

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'd enter him via a porthole.  Given my girth it'd be a tight squeeze.

Even without context this would be funny. Maybe especially without context. 

You're not Vic or Bob are you?

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That is the point, not that he misses.

Surely all goals are crucial when we have conceded so many?

for what it's worth, I thought Waghorn's movement and lay offs were starting to look really good in the second half of last season, maybe the Rooney effect, getting more accurate and paced passes and having actual runners around him. 

What the stats don't show is the ease of the chance associated with each player.

Regards the comment about Bamford being good enough to lead the line for Leeds it assumes a greater criticality for us as we don't have other players in our team sharing the goal scoring duties.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What the stats don't show is the ease of the chance associated with each player.

Regards the comment about Bamford being good enough to lead the line for Leeds it assumes a greater criticality for us as we don't have other players in our team sharing the goal scoring duties.

Didn't have; I think that will improve this season coming.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

image.png.ff63ac8d1f53d6b7d46335d2fc830062.png

Seems Bamford missed easier chances than Waghorn and Marriott

I find it weird when posters cast their eye over the next cab off the rank and pick Trialist.

It's like Whittaker doesn't exist, yet to me he has the potential to be a far better player than others on here seem to think.

24 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's like Whittaker doesn't exist, yet to me he has the potential to be a far better player than others on here seem to think.

You may well be right but he has been fairly non existent on the football pitch for the first team

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As things stand we have Waghorn, Marriott, Trialist and Bennett battling for 1 position. Can’t see us signing anyone unless one of those 4 leaves first. 

Yes that seems realistic. Don't think it will be enough for a promotion push, but we should be able to hold our own mid table ish. 

Archived