our new striker?

RYRAM

11 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I find it weird when posters cast their eye over the next cab off the rank and pick Trialist.

It's like Whittaker doesn't exist, yet to me he has the potential to be a far better player than others on here seem to think.

I’m all for the academy and seeing youth come through rather than spending £££££ on some journey man..........but just because someone has come through that route doesn’t mean we have to pretend they are good or are going to make the step up to the next level. From the glimpse we had of Whittaker last season, I think a season on loan in the lower leagues would be better for him than him being competition for the striker position. We would then see if he’s got what it takes. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Those same players, all positions and sub apps included, penalties excluded...

Brewster - 4.9
Watkins - 5.1
Marriott 18/19 - 5.7
Robson-Kanu - 6.1
Mitrovic - 6.6
Waghorn 18/19 - 7.5
Austin - 8.3
Waghorn 19/20 - 8.7
Glatzel - 9.7
Bamford - 10

If Bamford was good enough to lead the line for table topping Leeds, then I can't see why Waghorn or Marriott can't be good enough for us in a top 6 finish.

They were both available last season, we finished 10th 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

They were both available last season, we finished 10th 

And they were both available (and fit) in the 18/19 season where we narrowly missed out on promotion.
Players used: Marriott, Waghorn, Nugent, Bennett, Lawrence

19/20: Martin comes in as 1st choice in place of Marriott with similar game time and a similar record - 11 goals and 6 assists in 2093 mins vs 10 goals and 4 assists in 1959 mins. Waghorn remains constant. Marriott takes the role Nugent had.

20/21: Marriott back to his fit 18/19 self (he may even improve under a better manager), backed up by the same Waghorn we've had for the past 2 seasons, with the likes of Bennett, Trialist, Lawrence, Rooney, etc... We only need a couple of goals and a couple of assists from those (combined) to match the contribution of our previous 3+ choice CFs.

Not too bothered about a striker. The main issue is the defence & keeper situation which we look to be addressing. 

Hopefully we have a season of a fully fit marriott & last season we brought through a lot of young players who are now able to play at this level all with a breakthrough season behind them

Im feeling quite positive about the new season 

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And they were both available (and fit) in the 18/19 season where we narrowly missed out on promotion.
Players used: Marriott, Waghorn, Nugent, Bennett, Lawrence

With Wilson and Mount, the reason we finished in the top 6 not due to any of the above 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'll have Sibley for an entire season this time. 

We'll need strength in depth in the squad - who'd have thought we'd lose Bryson & Hughes. Two strikers isn't enough if we're serious about challenging.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'll have Sibley for an entire season this time. 

I guess time will tell who’s right and who’s wrong (maybe we both are). I’m just not going into this season felling very enthusiastic with our striking options which are now even weaker than last year now Martin has left. 

On 19/08/2020 at 23:07, uttoxram75 said:

A fully fit Marriott is a new signing.

Yep .. dead right. I keep banging on about this. When it comes to Jack “we ain’t seen nothing yet” he is the ratting quick sharp dangerous striker we need. If the surgery has worked he will get to the magic 20. Lads just not been fully fit for us, ever. 

Archived