our new striker?

RYRAM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I think once we sort out the right wing position, Waghorn will primarily be our striker again.

Sends shivers down my spine. Hopefully Marriott stays fit and remembers where the goal is, because I don’t think Waghorn will ever understand a 1v1 opportunity. 

If we can get Marriott firing again, I'm happy with what we've got. Waghorn is a good player at this level but not quite clinical enough, if he was, would be 20 goal a season striker no doubt about it. JHI looks a player as well. The wings are the priority to sort out in my opinion.

Personally I think that even if Martin had stayed, signing a new first choice striker would have been a priority this window. Now he’s left, it’s become all the more important. I don’t rate Marriott, and Waghorn is a good player to have off the bench - nothing more imo. Hector-Ingram is obviously a player with potential, but he’s still unproven at first team level. We remain in need of an injection of real quality in that centre forward position - someone as good as prime Martin would be nice!

As to who that is... who knows! None of the striker links we’ve had so far excite me, I just hope the recruitment team have someone up their sleeve that we haven’t heard about yet.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As things stand we have Waghorn, Marriott, Trialist and Bennett battling for 1 position. Can’t see us signing anyone unless one of those 4 leaves first. 

Your scraping the barrel there mate If ur chucking in Mason as a striking option to lead our line 

I still like the lad and want Him to succeed but a goal scorer and centre forward he ain’t 

There is no replacing Martin, so we can forget about that.  There is no Bentley available on a Skoda budget. 

What we have is a Covid crisis hitting all clubs and it's not going away anytime soon, so we need to adjust accordingly and thankfully we are in a better position to do just that than many another club.  We have, thanks to Mel's foresight, a great academy, which is becoming the backbone of the club and we need to use that strength to our fullest advantage to build a team to rival any other in this division, without setting ourselves into further debt, without signing mediocre past their most decent journeymen.  To do that, our style of play must mirror the strengths of our young players.  i worry not, for much seed has been sowed and we are ready to reap the harvest, if we see the lay of the land for what it is.

9 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Who would I like to replace him? Sam Lammers on a season long loan.

What do I think will happen? Marriott and Hector-Ingram being rotated depending on the strengths/weaknesses of our opposition.

Not too keen on Marriott being rotated,he’s fragile enough already!?

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

As things stand we have Waghorn, Marriott, Trialist and Bennett battling for 1 position. Can’t see us signing anyone unless one of those 4 leaves first. 

Mid table mediocrity right there, Waghorn scores 1 in 5 chances (at best) we’ll be lucky if Marriott plays 1 in 5 games,  Bennett well he’s just poo (although I did read on hear someone say he’s got bags of talent, ffs!!!!). As for the kids, who knows. If this is our firepower this season It’s going to be a long one. 

Archived