Which 5 past Derby players would get us up...

gccrowdpleaser

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, rynny said:

Tom Ince

...and I shall continue to angry face every post I ever read where somebody says they'd have him back! ? (I see it as a bit of fun)

Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Anyone who thinks you become a better team by putting Ince in it clearly wasn't paying enough attention, and it's got nothing to do with his attitude, which was fine.

23 minutes ago, Coconut said:

...and I shall continue to angry face every post I ever read where somebody says they'd have him back! ? (I see it as a bit of fun)

Anyone who thinks you become a better team by putting Ince in it clearly wasn't paying enough attention, and it's got nothing to do with his attitude, which was fine.

Damn, so you like a toddy but against Tom Ince?

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

I never understand the ‘Ince ruined the balance of the whole side’ argument. 

Bamford had even more freedom than Ince and nobody raised that as an issue. 

Purely on where we need strengthening and play the way that Phil wants us to set up. 

Grant, Easily the best keeper we have had with the ball at his feet, however the competition ain't great 

Mark Wright Leadership and the best centre back with a ball we have ever had 

Gary Micklewhite Unsung hero on the right for Eight years should be a club legend. If he was playing for us the last eight years we would be top half of the Premier league. 

Hardest one of all as I don't think we have had in the last Fifty years the exact type of Centre Forward that Phil prefers Rasiak or Wanchope are probably the closest. 

So I am going for the Costa Rican genius just because he could eat up the ground and take only half the steps of all us other mortals. 

Alan Hinton on the left is my fifth choice, purely because we need an out and out left winger in our team. 

Assuming they are all at their peak and ones I have seen -

Peter Shilton and Big Mark Wright - stop the opposition scoring. Wright to be Captain.

Leon Osman - possibly the best loanee ever

Dean Saunders - You need heaps of goals to get out of the Champ

Harry Wilson - some magic

Dare I say I would have had Sav (at his Leicester peak) in the team? I would have loved to see him mess with Grealish

13 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Of the keepers (admittedly not a huge list) I've seen Grant is certainly up there and the only one who fits the bill for what Cocu wants a keeper to do.

Grant from 13/14 would improve us quite a bit right now.

Ok fair enough, but for us older ones he cannot compare to either Boulton, Shilton or Les Green

If I could choose any players from my lifetime to fill positions I see as needing improvement...

GK: Mart Poom - Commanded his area better than any Derby GK I can remember.
CB: Igor Stimac - Best all round CB I've seen live.
RW: Harry Wilson - For 'that' left foot.
LW: Jamie Ward - Loved Jamie... if only his hamstrings weren't made of cotton!
ST: Grzegorz Rasiak - Got to be one of our best freebies ever? Was a toss up between him and Steve Howard, but I think Rasiak had more to his overall game.

11 hours ago, cannable said:

I never understand the ‘Ince ruined the balance of the whole side’ argument. 

Bamford had even more freedom than Ince and nobody raised that as an issue. 

I often think it's people conflating issues with a dash his face not fitting. The times where Ince was good for us often coincided with times the side was unbalanced; 2nd half of 14/15, Clement's tenure, Mac's 2nd stint. But the problems with balance actually lay elsewhere (thinking about it in all three cases it was quite a bit down to midfield balance).

There is an argument that if you have Martin up top then you want players like Russell who are just going to look to run off him all the time but whilst you do need some of that I don't entirely buy it and we aren't as laser focused on Martin as we were then (he might not even be here).

We lack raw individual skill and talent in wide attacking areas, we clearly want the wide attackers to come narrow when we have the  ball and we need more goals in the team. Ince ticks all those boxes.

Archived