Which 5 past Derby players would get us up...

gccrowdpleaser

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of players still playing...having Keogh and Wilson would see us comfortably in the play offs. Keoghs consistency would have helped Clarke, Bogle and Wisdom. 

After that it’s tough when you consider what we need. To be honest a really sensible attacking player who knew when to stay wide and make space for others. Maybe a Jamie Ward, potentially Johnny Russell? Then how about Hughes being able to play 10 yards further up the pitch with Bird and Rooney being holding DMs? Or even Hendrick?

I’ll leave out Ward so it’s still players who can still play champ football so...

Keogh

Wilson

Russell

Hughes

Hendrick

EDIT: I was originally going way radical here but decided to hold back and have realised I’ve gone much more conservative than I intended. 

My two radical choices were Ben Davies and Patrick Bamford and I’m willing to stand by them.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Good one ? 

A late attempt at humorous forum post of the season?

Well...kinda. I wasn’t being overly serious but both have some logic.

Davies-more that we need a wide player with his attributes and who isn’t going to be in the team week in/week out. When you have Holmes, Knight, Lawrence, Waghorn, Flo and Whittaker all taking up wide roles, and then adding Wilson into the mix plus our attacking full backs my point would have been more that we’d need someone who wasn’t quite so all out attack. I went with Russell originally, but I couldn’t think of anyone aside Davies who fit the bill more. Which shows you a direct problem we’ve had for the better part of five years, we play strikers as wingers!

Bamford has two promotions in the same time we have none. Don’t like the bloke but if you want an ex striker, who’s still playing, surely he has to make the mix?

Five players seems a bit greedy so I'll go for just the three.

Poom to sort out our keeping, I've gone for Poom over Shilton and Bolton as he's better with the ball ( I can't remember them scoring scoring against us)

Colin Todd to sort out our defence, it's a close call between Roy(who is my favorite), Igor, or Mark Wright but I just have this feeliing that Toddy would be a Cocu type of player.

Ted McMinn to make us a bit more unpredicable and help crack those well organised defences, and win some free kicks.

I'm not picking the wonderful Charlie George, as Sibley is going to be better. Or Dave Langan to get Boggle to up his game, that would be greedy.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Well...kinda. I wasn’t being overly serious but both have some logic.

Davies-more that we need a wide player with his attributes and who isn’t going to be in the team week in/week out. When you have Holmes, Knight, Lawrence, Waghorn, Flo and Whittaker all taking up wide roles, and then adding Wilson into the mix plus our attacking full backs my point would have been more that we’d need someone who wasn’t quite so all out attack. I went with Russell originally, but I couldn’t think of anyone aside Davies who fit the bill more. Which shows you a direct problem we’ve had for the better part of five years, we play strikers as wingers!

Bamford has two promotions in the same time we have none. Don’t like the bloke but if you want an ex striker, who’s still playing, surely he has to make the mix?

Ben Davies was a decent crosser of the ball but he was hardly a pacey, flying winger. I know you were thinking of wingers who weren't all out attack but I think that's what we do need - see a suggestion below.

Bamford scored one or two spectacular goals for us but he misses chance after chance for the Dirties. I think they would have been promoted last season had they had a more accomplished finisher. I couldn't understand why they didn't play the lad they had on loan from Arsenal - he looks the real deal.

---

Going back a little further than Ben Davies and those, a really creative winger, good dribbling, reasonable pace and a good cross, that nobody has mentioned would be Nigel Callaghan.

Seen lots of suggestions for Stimac and people saying he was a great centre back. 

If memory serves me correctly, he played as a sweeper in a back 5, rather than a centre back in 4.

His leadership and ball playing ability would obviously suit but not sure he would fit into a back 4 which appears to be Cocus favoured system.

Would definitely have Mark Wright ahead of Stimac.

Think my 5 would be:-

Poom

Wright

Thorne

Baiano

Saunders

Boulton

Roy Mac

Colin Todd

Alan Hinton

Kevin Hector

In fact any combination of the players from my years on the PopSide (Mackey, Lee, Gemmill, Nish, Hennessey, George and many others) at their peak would not only take us up as champs but top the Premiership too!

Especially if managed by Cloughie and Taylor!

Its heartbreaking leaving out players like Hector, Hinton, Lee, Nish, Mackay and Rioch to name but a few but we only have 5 so we have to deal with the spine of the team first so

Shilton

Mcfarland

Gemmill

Charlie George

One left now so it had to be 

Todd

I think Gemmill and Sibley in midfield would be quite a handful, pity I cant add Rioch

20 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

To be honest if you added Grant/Poom, Stimic and Bloomer to this side I think it get's promoted.

If we want 2 more to make sure, Gemmill and....who's our best ever left back?

David Nish of course

13 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

Five players seems a bit greedy so I'll go for just the three.

Poom to sort out our keeping, I've gone for Poom over Shilton and Bolton as he's better with the ball ( I can't remember them scoring scoring against us)

Colin Todd to sort out our defence, it's a close call between Roy(who is my favorite), Igor, or Mark Wright but I just have this feeliing that Toddy would be a Cocu type of player.

Ted McMinn to make us a bit more unpredicable and help crack those well organised defences, and win some free kicks.

I'm not picking the wonderful Charlie George, as Sibley is going to be better. Or Dave Langan to get Boggle to up his game, that would be greedy.

wow , going to have some player on our hands if Sibley proves to be better than Charlie

47 minutes ago, 1961ram said:

Surely you cant omit Bjorn Otto Bragstad or Stern John

Unfortunately I could only pick 5 from the gargantuan amount  of dross we’ve had over the years ?

I am surprised that only 4 people have picked Gorgeous George . It might be that his injuries are still too high in our memories, but in his prime he was England class, and was capable of being England captain. But life, and football can be a cruel friend.

Archived