Which 5 past Derby players would get us up...

gccrowdpleaser

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poom - We clearly need a gk

Stimac - Beast of a centre back

Baiano - provide that much needed creativity

Ince - goals & assists out wide, not had many better wingers in the last 20 years than Ince depite the grief he got

Wanchope - pure goal scorer, would be exactly what we need now, athletic with pace

Some other close calls though : Carbonari Tomori Hughes Mount Wilson Sturridge

Mart Poom,

Roy McFarland,

Mark Wright,

Those three should help with the problem we have defending corners and set pieces. While the latter two should also chip in with a few goals from corners and set pieces at the other end of the pitch.

Dean Saunders,

Paulo Wanchope

Gives us options in attack that we haven't got at the moment and most importantly goals.

Robin van der Laan,

To have on the bench, just in case Rooney is not available to play. A good solid all-around midfield player, capable of putting a bit of bite into the midfield while leading and guiding the young midfielders around him.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

Grant ... lol ?.....that was funny

Of the keepers (admittedly not a huge list) I've seen Grant is certainly up there and the only one who fits the bill for what Cocu wants a keeper to do.

Grant from 13/14 would improve us quite a bit right now.

It would be quite easy to name players from the 70s, 80s Or late 90s

so ignoring them..... I don’t think we need that much....I’d go

POOM 

Bogle.            Te Wierik      Wisdom.   Lowe

THORNE.  

knight.            HUGHES.        Sibley       SMITH

VYDRA  

we haven’t had any outstanding keepers since Poom.

I was tempted to suggest Michael Johnson for left centre back. 
he never left the pitch without some  and had the battling qualities any successful team needs.

it has to be George Thorne for the holding role.

and Hughesy as the captain in the middle 

we are missing a left winger. Tommy Smith was one of the best.

Upfront....we need goals. vydra would be an unorthodox threat. 

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Poom - We clearly need a gk

Stimac - Beast of a centre back

Baiano - provide that much needed creativity

Ince - goals & assists out wide, not had many better wingers in the last 20 years than Ince depite the grief he got

Wanchope - pure goal scorer, would be exactly what we need now, athletic with pace

Some other close calls though : Carbonari Tomori Hughes Mount Wilson Sturridge

@Coconut noticed the angry face response to my choices, out of curiosity what/who dont you like from my 5?

I also noticed you have commented with your 5?

Lee Grant - Best keeper I've seen for us, in 13/14 he was amazing.

Tomori - My favourite loanee ever. Fast, incredible footballing ability. Still miss him. 

George Thorne - In 13/14, he's the best player (during their time at Derby i.e. excluding Rooney from Man Utd) that I've seen in a Derby shirt. Had everything to his game. 

Johnny Russell - For a few seasons offered a huge amount. Was quick, had a good shot on him.

Jamie Ward - We really do miss an attacker like him. Great player for us. 

Was tempted to throw Bamford in for the bites, but decided not to.

Of the players I’ve seen first hand & what we need right now in our current line up....

Peter Shilton: safe hands

Mark Wright: Aerial superiority in both boxes & first class at bringing the ball out 

Igor: Just World Class and leader of men

Van Der Laan: Battler, Baller, Goal scorer & leader of men

Dean Saunders: Off the shoulder, Raw pace and a goal machine

21 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Thinking we need pace...

Tommy Smith would be good...

Marc Reich I liked...

Rasziak would do so well in this team.

Leon Osman was pure class

Poom, Eranio- midfield or full back.  Dean Yates- so comfortable on the ball and tough as nails, Mark Wright-the same , Saunders. Was thinking of wide men but with Eranio  any player could spend half an hour doing the crossword and scratching there balls without going down the line. He would still have the ball when they turned up.

Was thinking of Taribo West at centre half for the joy of watching him trying to jink past some off the ogres up front in this league, but it would be to much.

15 minutes ago, rynny said:

Tom Ince

Had a feeling it would be Ince. Thinking of all the wingers we have had in the past 25 years and the only other similar in terms of stats would be Harry Wilson? Happy to be corrected. I loved the likes of Bisgaard/Smith/Russell/Ibe/Simpson but none of them would offer as much as what Ince would imo. Ince got stick for his 'attitude' but I dont think he got enough credit for his workrate and defensive work, that was always overlooked. I see why people may have not took to him as a person due to how he can be perceived but on the pitch he is one of our best wingers for years.

Based on my 5 options, we would have a 3 of Lawrence Baiano Ince behind Wanchope, that would be lethal.

If we were going down the road 

8 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

I've restricted myself to players who have represented Derby in the second tier at full fitness and in peak form.

Stimac

Thorne

Hughes

Reich

Sturridge

If we were to look at that. It would be Yates and Stimac.  Sturridge and Davison with Van Der Laan in the middle.  That midfield with him, Powell and Carsley terrified most teams into giving us a point before kick off.  You don't get many midfielders that psyche themselves up before matches watching Scarface together. ( THAT REALLY DID HAPPEN). Technically you may find better players than a couple of those in our second tier teams, but in our position with youngsters you need winners and aggression to assist them with a bit of pace up top.

Archived